Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brogdon
United States
Moscow
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3. People who complain about drinks at the table at my table with my game (seriously, quit whining and have fun already)

2. People who claim that rolling dice is "thematic"

1. (by a long shot) When the top and bottom of the box are not orientated together

yeah, I know I have issues whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brog5108 wrote:
1. (by a long shot) When the top and bottom of the box are not orientated together
No issues for me, that's just sensible. When the box is put away (presuming boxes are stored upright), it's easy to check from either lid or bottom which way up to put it and save all those poor, loose components from tumbling top to bottom.

Oh yes, and "veeps" for me too, I hope that never makes the OED's new words list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Aren't you glad I'm not the pied piper?
badge
Move a little closer so I can reach out and light your beard on fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that's the kind of gaming table I like... a place all about gaming and taking care of the games and the hobby. You "might" be a rare one that could pull me out of solo gaming... mmmwell... just a tiny weeny bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Gibson
United Kingdom
Taunton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scooperman wrote:
brog5108 wrote:
No issues for me, that's just sensible. When the box is put away (presuming boxes are stored upright), it's easy to check from either lid or bottom which way up to put it and save all those poor, loose components from tumbling top to bottom.

Oh yes, and "veeps" for me too, I hope that never makes the OED's new words list.

Oh dear, Stephen. I think I say veeps quite a lot. I blame Jonathan as he introduced me to the term. My peeve is drinks on tables. I have a bit of a phobia about it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People not paying attention

GET OFF YOUR PHONE AND GAME
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JamieGibson wrote:
Scooperman wrote:
brog5108 wrote:

Oh dear, Stephen. I think I say veeps quite a lot. I blame Jonathan as he introduced me to the term. My peeve is drinks on tables. I have a bit of a phobia about it now.
Jonathan has a lot to answer for, but I find "veeps" is lazy and elitist, as in, let's make a word to exclude newcomers that's no more easy to say than "points", and only slightly easier than the explicit and accurate "victory points".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "I would have won if..." discussion that ensues after a game. Or any other attempt to attach an asterisk to your win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying to explain the rules and notice some of the players nodding but looking at their phones. Actually, using phones/tablets while in the game also irks me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ley
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Someone introducing a new game to the group but not having played it or read the rules prior. Nothing worse then let's play "______", I just got it. We sit down and they open the rule book to page 1 and start reading. Nooooooo!yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it has to be just straight up unabashadly playing a game wrong, to the point where I feel I need to play both sides of the game in order to have a good experience. Just to be clear, this isn't the standard just learning the rules and asking, "How does this work again?" or "If I want to do this, what do I have to do?" This is along the lines of saying, "I attack you!" when it gets to your turn in Legendary, or flipping your Leader card upside down in Pixel Tactics, or even saying, "OK, I attack you," in the middle of my turn multiple times throughout the game.

To a lesser extent, this includes not handling the Discard/Shuffle/Draw system from DBGs, but that is at least excusable for people that are unfamiliar with card games and the ettiquette there.

After that, it has to be a bad attitude. I understand not enjoying a game, or being annoyed at some of the rules, but the middle of the game is not the time to vent your frustrations. It's particularly bad when they're badmouthing a game you know they love - but they complain about it the entire game anyways.

Next up are the people who disrespect other peoples games and property. They're the ones who eat greasy food before handling their cards, tossing components about haphazardly, etc, etc. If it's their game, fine, but please treat other's property the way that they would treat it.

Finally, I would have to give a nod toward the people who come up to whatever game you're playing simply to tell you how bad a game it. Now, it's one thing if you've pulled them into a conversation and asked them how they like the game (I'm certainly not saying you should lie if you don't like the game, just don't let that be your first interaction with the players), but please don't badmouth a game I'm playing out of nowhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Invasion81 wrote:
Someone introducing a new game to the group but not having played it or read the rules prior. Nothing worse then let's play "______", I just got it. We sit down and they open the rule book to page 1 and start reading. Nooooooo!yuk
Oddly enough, that doesn't bother me at all, because that is how one of my groups learns new games every Tuesday night. :shrug:

My biggest one is when I teach a game that I know really well, someone discovers a rule and claims that "you never told us that" when I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McHaffey
United States
Rancho Santa Fe
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnalyticGamer wrote:
-having drinks on the table

-being a little rough or playing around with fragile game pieces

I get wanting to keep a game in nice condition, but I think some gamers are WAY too anal about their games. I'm not 8 years old anymore and probably knock over a drink about once every 20 years. This is the case with most adults. Unless it's an OoP title, the average game costs under $40. It probably costs more to clean the carpet from a spilled drink than to replace a few components from the game. The whole point is to be social and have fun and snacks and drinks are a part of that. Now of course some common sense should prevail - don't eat potato chips when playing a game with cards. But again, sleeve your cards if you care that much. And agreed, anyone who is abusive to components like flickimg or curling cards should be called out on it. I once had a player open up a brand new rulebook and fold it back creasing all the pages. I was beside myself...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't give a game a political setting and then have absolutely no player negotiation in it.

It just leaves me disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest pet peeve is the "holdout."

Five people want to play a game, but you're too self-important to just shut up and play it with them, especially after they just played the game you wanted them to.

Pete (hates on the "I will never play that game" crowd)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemyslaw Kozlowski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
Invasion81 wrote:

The only exception to that is if the game was still in shrinkwrap when he/she brought it out since then you only have yourself to blame for not realizing that he/she just bought it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemyslaw Kozlowski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
jimmcmahon wrote:

My biggest one is when I teach a game that I know really well, someone discovers a rule and claims that "you never told us that" when I did.

What really irks me is that they just assume that I never told them rather than that they just forgot it or misheard it. If I really forgot to mention the rule then I will freely admit to it and apologize. Usually the rule just got 'lost' during my explanation since there were a lot of rules to explain and I did not emphasize it strongly enough for it to stick in people's minds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Hillis
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nathairday wrote:

I've come pretty close to slapping a few peopledevil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Hillis
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Invasion81 wrote:

This is definitely one of my pet peeves but probably more so because the person in question usually hands the rules to me and has me learn and teach everyone! LEARN YOUR OWN GAME!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FunkyJ wrote:
nathairday wrote:

I've come pretty close to slapping a few peopledevil
I don't like people who slap me.

Pete (rubs his cheek)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
I don't like people who slap me.

Pete (rubs his cheek)
Stop with the parenthesis and I'll stop slapping you. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Banks
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Using "game" as a verb. It's still ok to "play"; it won't make this a kids-only hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People complaining about phones when the end of your turn to the start of the next turn takes a ridiculous amount of time, and you have nothing else to do (e.g. can't/already think ahead). Especially since you're checking messages or voice mails that aren't strictly 'just for fun'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ley
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
azmod2000 wrote:
Invasion81 wrote:

The only exception to that is if the game was still in shrinkwrap when he/she brought it out since then you only have yourself to blame for not realizing that he/she just bought it.

It's never been in shrink. And I'm not talking about a short read through. I'm talking about someone insisting on playing a game then sitting there for 45 minutes to read the rules. Yes, this has happened to me on more than one occasion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.