8 Posts

Steampunk Rally» Forums » Rules

Subject: More than 7 damage in a round = explode? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike P
Canada
flag msg tools
I noticed that beyond the -7 spot in the damage gauge, there is an explosion icon. We had a situation where a player took 9 damage in a turn (but had 13 parts, so didn't have to sacrifice the cockpit and explode). Does that symbol mean they explode, even if they would otherwise be able to sustain the damage? Or does it mean they have to lose a part right then and there, in the race phase?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Dumas
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You lose a part during the race phase and you switch back to -7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's covered in the Race Effects List section under Take Damage in the rule book (pg 8):

Quote:
If Take Damage causes your Damage Gauge to reveal the <X> icon, immediately discard one Machine Part from your Invention and return your Damage Gauge to -7. If discarding Machine Parts in this fashion would force you to discard your Inventor Cockpit, your Invention explodes (see “Exploding” under the Damage Phase).

I would expect going beyond -8 would require losing enough machine cards to get you back to -7 similar to my earlier question of going beyond +4 (in which case you get enough cogs drop you back to +3). At least that is how I would play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aris Ktistakis
Greece
KOROPI, ATHENS
flag msg tools
badge
All that I need is this moment
mbmbmbmbmb
So to add a question more on this, if, lets say I take 9 damage, I lose one part and go to -7 and then at the end of damage phase I lose another 7 parts?
Also rulebook states : "Any time you receive the Take Damage Race Effect, reduce the value displayed on your Damage Gauge by 1".
What does "reduce damage gauge by 1" means?
I thought that passing over a track with a value 3 on a mountain gets you immediately -3 on your gauge.
What I'm missing?

At a second glance in rulebook everything cleared, I would like a clarification on the first part though.modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Heilmann
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
athibor wrote:
So to add a question more on this, if, lets say I take 9 damage, I lose one part and go to -7 and then at the end of damage phase I lose another 7 parts?

You would immediately lose two parts, because when you hit the "8" you lose a part and reset to 7.
Then, if you weren't able to mitigate the damage by shields, you lose another 7 parts in the damage phase (and probably explode).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aris Ktistakis
Greece
KOROPI, ATHENS
flag msg tools
badge
All that I need is this moment
mbmbmbmbmb
Two parts you mean 1 part for excess of 7 damage and the 2nd part is all the parts gauge shows at the end of phase?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santa Tom Pellitieri
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally, you resolve damage after you complete the Race phase. However, if you incur damage that takes your counter below -7, you must immediately take damage and remove a part.

For example, if you are sitting at -6 and move to a space that requires you to take three damage, you would move your counter to -7 and remove two parts, unless you managed to earn more shields beforehand. If this would cause you to remove your cockpit, you explode and end your Race phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saxberg
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pellitieri wrote:
Normally, you resolve damage after you complete the Race phase. However, if you incur damage that takes your counter below -7, you must immediately take damage and remove a part.

For example, if you are sitting at -6 and move to a space that requires you to take three damage, you would move your counter to -7 and remove two parts, unless you managed to earn more shields beforehand. If this would cause you to remove your cockpit, you explode and end your Race phase.

Confirmed, exactly.

/playtester
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.