Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Jones
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question (and probably a dumb one)

Does the Harry Hopkins card lose strength on all issues when Truman is president, or does it only affect Strategic Materials?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuel KERN
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First option : all issues if/when HT is president; not so dumb a question as some cards' text should sometimes need some clarification...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuel KERN
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, looking back at your question and examining the extended example of play, I really have doubts about it (not a dumb question at all !). Unless there is some kind of an official answer about it, these kinds of uncertainties should be discussed and solved among the player before the game (not during conferences )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
The card is comprised of two entirely distinct conditions. Do not try to read between the lines and connect the two: the second sentence should not be read as shorthand to include the Strategic Materials condition. The three possible situations outlined by these two distinct conditions are:

1. If Truman is President, regardless of the issue Hopkins is played to advance/debate, his strength is 2 (i.e., 5 – 3).

2. If Roosevelt is President, and Hopkins is played to advance/debate Strategic Materials, US player decides his strength.

3. Otherwise (i.e., Roosevelt is President, but Hopkins is played to advance/debate an issue other than Strategic Materials), his strength is the printed strength 5.

The Example of Play correctly reflects this. After bouncing around a bit, the Global Issue is in the center of the table when Hopkins is played to advance it. Since Roosevelt is President (even though he is not present at the conference) and the issue is not Strategic Materials, his strength is 5. Thus the issue is moved to the 5th space on the US track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patton1138 wrote:
The card is comprised of two entirely distinct conditions. Do not try to read between the lines and connect the two: the second sentence should not be read as shorthand to include the Strategic Materials condition. The three possible situations outlined by these two distinct conditions are:

1. If Truman is President, regardless of the issue Hopkins is played to advance/debate, his strength is 2 (i.e., 5 – 3).

2. If Roosevelt is President, and Hopkins is played to advance/debate Strategic Materials, US player decides his strength.

3. Otherwise (i.e., Roosevelt is President, but Hopkins is played to advance/debate an issue other than Strategic Materials), his strength is the printed strength 5.

The Example of Play correctly reflects this. After bouncing around a bit, the Global Issue is in the center of the table when Hopkins is played to advance it. Since Roosevelt is President (even though he is not present at the conference) and the issue is not Strategic Materials, his strength is 5. Thus the issue is moved to the 5th space on the US track.

Correct

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Jones
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the clarification. I haven't researched the staff members in the game yet, but I'm guessing Hopkins and Truman did not work well together at all. I'll dig deeper tonight after work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Swift
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any circumstance that a player would choose HH less than 6 where possible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To get an issue into the centre spot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Swift
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But you can stop Conditional Issues at the centre of the conference table any time wasting the extra movement points anyway. Surely other issues you would want to win to win the conference so HH would be used as a 6?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
denis sauzedde
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except for strategic material if you want everyone to get the bonus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Swift
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks... That's what I was missing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also negotiate an agreement with another player to keep anyone from winning a particular issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mos_def85 wrote:
Thanks everyone for the clarification. I haven't researched the staff members in the game yet, but I'm guessing Hopkins and Truman did not work well together at all. I'll dig deeper tonight after work.

Check Churchill's references to HH in his history of the war. IIRC Churchill wanted to see him after he was no longer in the inner circle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.