Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never sleeved a game, but after a few play throughs of SR:C I've decided I want to take the plunge. So, having never sleeved any game, I have some really basic questions.

What size and type of sleeves should I get? Who makes the best sleeves? Ultra Pro? FFG?

Since I won't need thousands to cover this game (it looks like 250 should cover it), I'd like to buy higher quality. I don't like the sleeves with the colored backs, I'd rather see all the artwork.

This may be the first step on a slippery slope...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Belcher
United States
Lancaster
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did your copy come with the sample pack of sleeves? I bought the same type and brand of sleeves for all of Crossfire. My actual sleeves didn't match the samples, for some reason (well not exactly).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greatfrito wrote:
Did your copy come with the sample pack of sleeves? I bought the same type and brand of sleeves for all of Crossfire. My actual sleeves didn't match the samples, for some reason (well not exactly).

Yes, but I know from reading other threads that there's a ton of options out there and I wanted to see what others thought. Some gamers are rather, uh, passionate, about sleeving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beazer
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards are 2.5 inch by 3.5 inch (same as MTG, I believe).

I like Ultra pro cards, but specifically I like the Ultra Pro ProMatte. They do have colored backs, which I understand you don't want. But they are great for play.

I like having simple colored backs, as I've sleeved my in different colors to make sorting fast and easy. Blue for all runner cards, Red/Yellow for Hard/Normal obstacles, and Black for Crossfire cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
let's go.
badge
when i get home, i'm so tired. just roll over, please, i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy Flight are my favorite "premium" sleeves. I use penny sleeves for games with a lot of cards, though.

Ultra Pro sleeves (not penny sleeves) have that obnoxious silver "stamp" on them. Really not a fan of that. The sleeves are nice though.

HCD make a good sleeve too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is what I would do:

1) Buy good quality sleeves for black market cards, basic cards, and enough to accommodate the upcoming expansion and maybe another (just in case).

The same sleeves from the same manufacturer bought at two different time points could have slight differences in height/width that you may or may not notice, but can cause certain cards to regularly shuffle to the top or bottom. Buying all your sleeves at once will increase your chance of having consistent sizing.

I also feel that sleeving these cards is important since if you were to start seeing wear, it would first be disproportionately on the basic cards, followed by the cheaper & more popular black market cards, and then the more expensive/less popular black market cards.

Personally, I like the ultra pro clear sleeves, but the hologram circle gives some people fits. I just sleeve it with the hologram on the back of the card.

2a) Buy the same sleeves for your obstacles & crossfire cards
2b) Buy as cheap of sleeves as you feel like for your obstacles and crossfire cards.

This is really a matter of preference. I actually don't even have these cards sleeved in my game. I shuffle them once at the beginning of the night and play 3-4 games with the same stack just moving from top to bottom. Since they aren't handled nearly as much as the other cards, I see no reason to waste money paying for nice sleeves when penny sleeves should last quite a while.

EDIT: I was working on my post in the background while emodiu5 was posting. Understand my hologram comments are not directed at or a response to you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Little
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm using Dragon Shields for my sleeves. Various colors for various decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Vignola
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Geeklists section of pretty much every game on BGG, you will see an entry call "Card Sleeve Sizes for Games". Click on it and it will redirect you to a bunch of info about which sleeves to use for this particular game.
As for Shadowrun: Crossfire, i have use Ultra Pro Pro-fit sleeves (64mm x 89mm) but they are a bit tight.

Oh and i didn't do what JBMoby suggest, which is buy more than less to increase your chance of having consistent sizing, and now, with new cards coming in, i'm annoyed by my mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carrion wrote:
The cards are 2.5 inch by 3.5 inch (same as MTG, I believe).

I like Ultra pro cards, but specifically I like the Ultra Pro ProMatte. They do have colored backs, which I understand you don't want. But they are great for play.

I like having simple colored backs, as I've sleeved my in different colors to make sorting fast and easy. Blue for all runner cards, Red/Yellow for Hard/Normal obstacles, and Black for Crossfire cards.

I ended up going this route and got the promattes in 4 different colors. I got enough to sleeve both the base game and High Caliber Ops, they should be here tomorrow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.