Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dursch
United States
Farmersville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No kidding, after reading multiple parts of the rule book indicating future use of components like allies and site type, I'm eager to see this expansion come to life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachery Hershberger
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Game selling for clearance price on Amazon. Negative review from Vaseline. Is the game simply not successful or liked enough to warrant a follow through on ambitions? Would be a shame. The game is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
WhoIsZachery wrote:
Game selling for clearance price on Amazon. Negative review from Vaseline. Is the game simply not successful or liked enough to warrant a follow through on ambitions? Would be a shame. The game is good.

Negative reviews by Vassal really don't mean that much.

Afterall, the game is rated around 1500 (there's around 12,000 rated games) so I'd say top 1500 is pretty darn good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a novel, unusual, entirely playable and fun game with good components and (I thought) a bright future. Maybe it should be Kickstarted afresh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dursch
United States
Farmersville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised it got a negative review, with the few videos I've seen of his, he never said anything was negative, even if I thought the game was an absolute turd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ Buracker
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to bring this back to the top... My wife and I just played again, and I was reminded how great this game is. I would definitely be interested in the expansion. Is it in the works yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dursch
United States
Farmersville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't say I've heard any word on it myself. I just checked out the 3 hares website, and he hasn't posted anything since February 2014... I couldn't even send an email since the Captcha didn't work to submit my message. /sigh I have a bad feeling about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Schmitz
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing this game for the first time tonight... Lots of fun. Would LOVE to see an expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
davey yaved
msg tools
I really want that expansion too! I think it's a phenomenal game. A few of the tiles seem uninteresting to me (maybe I haven't plumbed the depths of their possible strategic utility yet), but the game is original, and deep and really fun. I hope David Chott is not too burned by his kickstarter etc. experience. I would really love to see some of his further ideas developed and am hoping, hoping, hoping he sees fit to do the expansion work he forsaw when the game was being made!!!! Maybe he could sell it through gamecrafter or something if the idea of running another kickstarter is too revolting...
Fiat Lux,
Davey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ Buracker
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would most definitely be interested in an expansion for this. The rule promises one, and the gameplay all but demands it. I really enjoy the game - although I'm terrible at it -, and I would love for the factions to have special abilities, for there to be more tiles, for power ups to be introduced, etc. etc. etc. I hope this one isn't dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stupidscholar wrote:
I would most definitely be interested in an expansion for this. The rule promises one, and the gameplay all but demands it. I really enjoy the game - although I'm terrible at it -, and I would love for the factions to have special abilities, for there to be more tiles, for power ups to be introduced, etc. etc. etc. I hope this one isn't dead.

Agreed across the board.

This is an excellent 2p game. I am afraid two things hurt it:

1. The bad dice tower review.
2. The advertised 1 - 4 player count.

The 1p community has never really taken to this (it almost never shows up in the recommendations threads) and the 3p and 4p games are suboptimal.

It really shines as a 2p game (the votes on BGG support the claim that 2p is best).

The dice tower was right...sort of. They claimed that it is so chaotic that you can't plan ahead much. Now in the the review Tom Vasel did not say exactly what player count they played at but it really sounded like 3p or 4p (or both) and I would agree, 3p and 4p limit planning.

With 2p you definitely can plan ahead and it did not sound like they played at that player count (either that or they did and they are wrong, you can plan ahead with 2p).

The designer made a mistake advertising this as 1-4p.

I suspect the game's reception would have been very different if it had been advertised as a 2p game only.

EDIT: A couple of more thoughts:

1. The design is just a bit too tight
2. 3p is a festival of kingmaking
3. The jargon is overblown and the names of the red, blue and yellow powers is silly and overblown and pulls one out of the theme (we just call them red etc.)
4. Rule book could use some revising, especially swapping out some of the silly terminology but more than that making the terms actually make sense with the theme

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer: I kickstarted the game and have played it at least 4 times (once as a 2p, the rest as 4P) - the last time was Jan of this year.

I also agree with the previous posts, except I found it to be fine with 4p since you play in teams of 2, but yes 2p would be my first choice, then 4p. I would never play this with 3 and I don't play solo games in general

Rulebook isn't awful but definitely could have had some revisions

I don't watch too many Dice Tower reviews so I don't believe I ever saw that one in question. A game that is ranked by the community in the 1600s is worth more to me than some guy's thoughts (assuming of course I had interest in the game to begin with)

I am kind of surprised the expansion never happened. The KS edition (maybe retail also?) came with components that specific said it was for a future expansion and the tiles even had symbols that said they would tie in to expansions so clearly the designer had something in mid.

Oh well, I do think the game is fine without an expansion too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
belial1134 wrote:

I am kind of surprised the expansion never happened.

Seeing it for sale on Amazon at $10 should make you less surprised. Stuff doesn't show up on Amazon for $10 if it sold well in other channels. I like the game, but it obviously wasn't popular, so it's unsurprising there was never an expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
cannoneer wrote:
belial1134 wrote:

I am kind of surprised the expansion never happened.

Seeing it for sale on Amazon at $10 should make you less surprised. Stuff doesn't show up on Amazon for $10 if it sold well in other channels. I like the game, but it obviously wasn't popular, so it's unsurprising there was never an expansion.

I should have been clearer..

The designer clearly laid some groundwork for an expansion in the base game and it seemed the game was well received when it was delivered to KS backers (and when it hit retail). Back then I was thinking the expansion would have launched shortly after delivery to backers. So I was a bit surprised that never happened then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
The poor retail sales, rapid discounting, ill review by Dice Tower (there is a lot of clout there; Zee would have been more favorable), and just the in general issues one would have with Kickstarter...

I think it was not a good idea to proceed.

People can say, and believe what they will about the effect of reviews. Dice Tower raises how much on their yearly kickstarter? Sold out gaming conventions? Tom did a chunk of damage for a fledgling game hinging on reception.

Abstracts are a harder sell already. I have no idea why Tom, who verbal admits to liking them less than Zee, did that review.

If we see an expansion, it would be through KS. And all the hardships that that entails for a startup company is likely not worth what little 3 Hares would gain. It cettainly has a large hill to climb if it want to redeem a kiss of death the base game has been given.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
davey yaved
msg tools
ok it looks like it might be up to fans to develop variants. It would be cheap and easy to buy a second copy and glue new tops on the hex's. But the ideas have be be put together. If David Chott has indeed given up on this game (I can understand why he would, although he should be proud of what he accomplished already), it would be lovely if he would release to his fans the expansion work he does have so that we can buy up more of his games and create his more fully realized vision of the game!!!!
How bout' it Mr. Chott???

Fiat Lux,
Davey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.