Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking to get birthday present for myself. Which of these three do you prefer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: la granja, discoveries, or artifacts inc?
Haven't played Discoveries, but I do know I never need to play Artifacts again...far too much downtime for what it offers. La Granja is one of my favorite games that feels different each time I play it due to the different cards and their effects and the vagaries of the die rolls...and it plays well at any number imho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asaf Fabbi
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
Proud member of the Cult of the New.
badge
The King of Meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played La Granja yet but have heard good things. I have played the other two and I would say I loved Discoveries and liked Artifacts, Inc but agree about the down time issue. I would go with Discoveries for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok then...fixed the title
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might have a tough time finding someone who has played all three of these. I have only played La Granja, and it is quickly becoming one of my favorite and most played games. It has interesting choices to make at every turn, and the card variety promises to keep the game feeling pretty fresh!

I thought Discoveries looked kind of interesting, but it also appears to lack replay value perhaps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bumping this....i need to figure this out by friday!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Austin
Canada
flag msg tools
Are you into theme? I have not played la granja and never will because I cant stand farming games, no matter how good the reviews. 'Discoveries' I have played. Very thematic, two player only, quick to play, fast turns, fast setup, great art on the cards, and wife friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mb
I just LOVE Discoveries! No two games are ever the same; the art is beautiful; turns are quick. I rate it a 9.

I don't like La Granja. Mechanically, there's nothing wrong with it; but that's because it's a hodge-podge of every mechanic in every highly rated game of the past seven years...without any new twists to it. As for the game-play, dry as moondust. And, if you like theme, you definitely won't like La Granja. I rate it a 3.5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peepser wrote:
Are you into theme? I have not played la granja and never will because I cant stand farming games, no matter how good the reviews. 'Discoveries' I have played. Very thematic, two player only, quick to play, fast turns, fast setup, great art on the cards, and wife friendly.

As much as you hate farming, I bet you would be a very sad person if farming ceased to exist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow...surprised about the dislike for la granja!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenrick Fearn
France
Ruffec
Charente
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are two different beasts both offer great game play ...discoveries is a quick but very thoughtful game ...easier mechanics than La Granja...but la Granja offers more complex play ...both games offer their own unique pionts ...but at different levels ...Discovories is a much quicker game ...can be a bit take that stealing opponents dice but at risk of having them taken back at a key moment ...then the market place in la Granja can be quite nasty too ...both play very well two player ...

Honestly either game is a winner for me and we enjoy both games for different reasons ..if you can afford it treat yourself to both of them ...not a decision you would regret ...

But for me la Granja just has the pip on Discoveries because of our love of game depth ...but Discovries is great for a quick game that is a slightly more complex extended filler ...both games are stunning art work and excellent components ...

Tough choice to have to buy just one ...

Ric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm one of the people who have only played one of the two games: La Granja.

So let me tell you about La Granja. It almost immediately replace Race for the Galaxy as my number 1 game, and Race was there for around 4-5 years.

It takes almost all of my favourite mechanisms (action dice, mulit-use cards, resource conversion and area control) and seamlessly combines them into a fantastic game. If only it had worker placement...

I also love how free your options are on your turn. You can sell a resource, then buy a different one, convert it to something else, complete a market order, use the reward to get/convert more resources, etc. Sometimes that can induce some AP, but once you get the hang of how it all works, you should be cranking out all kinds of stuff without too much thought.

So, I suppose in any thread where the choice is La Granja and something else, La Granja will always win.

But that's just my two cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.