Popular Tags: [View All]
Rafael Maia
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
camelcamelcamel.com says "it is the lowest price we've seen on this product." Only 10 left in stock!

http://www.amazon.com/Exodus-Proxima-Centauri-Board-Game/dp/...

Exodus: Proxima Centauri
CSI $53.99
MM $51.99
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: [Amazon Prime] Exodus Proxima Centauri $44.44
Second edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Van Peursem
Tanzania
Spring Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Cor 12:9
mbmbmbmbmb
nexbot wrote:
Second edition?

It says "Revised edition" if you click on the Amazon link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tax brings it to just under CSI/MM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this scratch any itch Eclipse does not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Brown
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Man, Sub-creator, the refracted Light through whom is splintered from a single White to many hues, and endlessly combined in living shapes that move from mind to mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
It has less euro mechanisms. Closer to a light TI3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Robert
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A badonkadonk itch from sitting at the table for too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Milbrath
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Better to reign in Hell than to serve in Heaven.
badge
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things. - Isaiah 45:7
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I had some extra Amazon points and ended up being able to snag it for ~$36. I've been eyeballing this one as the expansion is just around the corner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam Healy from the Dice Tower says this is TI3 light. He likes it, and does not like Eclipse. Based on their reviews and the player count I chose the game. I played it twice and I like it. My 2nd choice was Xia, I never considered Eclipse too Euro and economical for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Nelson
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Swingley
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A cautionary note...

These are hopefully fine, but just last week I went through a fiasco with Amazon, as they sent me TWO banged of copies of Exodus (my replacement copy was actually damaged worse than the original). They were nice enough after I called them, with a final resolution of a heavy discount for me to keep the lesser damaged product. They claimed that they would ensure all products on the shelf were OK.

Ultimately, this wasn't necessarily Amazon's fault, as the packing design for Exodus is atrocious. The top half of the box is nothing but air, so a wanged corner is almost a certainty. Interestingly, the expansion has a cruddy insert to at least hold some stability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DomaGB wrote:
I never considered Eclipse too Euro and economical for me.

So that's a pretty ridiculous statement. Nothing wrong with watching the Dice Tower; there is something wrong with letting them make your opinion for you. The economics don't run the game; the exploration and combat fuel the game. The economics just serves the 4 Xs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kumar
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGreatHamEl wrote:
DomaGB wrote:

So that's a pretty ridiculous statement. Nothing wrong with watching the Dice Tower; there is something wrong with letting them make your opinion for you.

Well, the Dice Tower does show you how to play the game and how the game works. I think you can form your own opinion based off that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go_Petunias wrote:
TheGreatHamEl wrote:
DomaGB wrote:

So that's a pretty ridiculous statement. Nothing wrong with watching the Dice Tower; there is something wrong with letting them make your opinion for you.

Well, the Dice Tower does show you how to play the game and how the game works. I think you can form your own opinion based off that.

I respect their opinions, but I think in terms of tutorials there are better sources. If Rodney Smith hasn't done it, I'll see if Drive Thru Review has or Off the Shelf. If I am watching a Dice Tower video, I generally skip to the discussion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In general I don't like heavy Euros, some I like, but usually those with theme, so a space game with less Euro mechanics than with 1 with Euro mechanics will be liked more. The Dice Tower seems to be similar in this with me, though they also seem to like some Euros more than me.

I will never play Village again. Other Euros I may play again, but are rather blah would include: Patrician, Stone Age, Spyrium, AquaSphere, Lords of Waterdeep, & Kingsburg.

Euros I like are: Alien Frontiers, Mission: Red Planet, Tikal, Belfort, Carson City, & Deadwood.

So if it has a strong theme I may like it. And so Eclipse has a strong theme, and if I played it I may think its alright, but why buy it when I can remove the parts that are blah, and get a better Amerithrash game.

Pillars of the Earth is a good example, it's 27th on my list of 82 games. So in the top half, but Belfort scratched the itch better so I sold my copy of Pillars of the Earth. I can play 1 of 2 copies my meetup has if I ever want to, and will. But I don't need to own it and prefer Belfort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay. But Eclipse isn't really Euro. Moving cubes doesn't automatically = Euro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Milbrath
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things. - Isaiah 45:7
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGreatHamEl wrote:

I'd argue that it's a blend between Ameritrash and Euro with a heavy lean towards Euro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pickboy87 wrote:
TheGreatHamEl wrote:

I'd argue that it's a blend between Ameritrash and Euro with a heavy lean towards Euro.

Why? It has some Euro-ish trappings but not real Euro mechanics. Not trying to argue, just never understood why people think this is a Euro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Milbrath
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGreatHamEl wrote:
pickboy87 wrote:
TheGreatHamEl wrote:

Why? It has some Euro-ish trappings but not real Euro mechanics. Not trying to argue, just never understood why people think this is a Euro.

Because keeping track of resources and maximizing your ships has a very euro feel to it. A lot of the mechanics often felt very gamey to me which can typically relate more towards euros.

When going up against the juggernaut TI3, this game feels extremely euro. Now maybe going up against something like Caylus, it feels very Ameritrashy, but it's going to often be compared to TI3.

Ameritrash - Twilight Imperium 3
Euro - Eclipse
War - Space Empires: 4x

This is often how it's broken down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't come off any more Euro to me than, say, Forbidden Stars. The science tech tree is probably the closest thing to it, and that still doesn't come off as Euroish to me. A thinking man's thematic game (I loathe the term "ameri-trash"). Guess I'll just have to disagree with the consensus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Robert
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could take the discussion to the game's forum and discuss it with the people who have played it more. You'd get a lot more and better replies .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.