Popular Tags: [View All]
Colonel Mustard
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some friends are just starting to get oriented to the big world of Eurogames. They have played the standard Settlers with Seafarers and also own Carcassonne. They asked about something that equaled those in game play. I suggested Attika.

They loved it.

The game went fairly long on time, ending after about 90 minutes or more. I think this was mainly because it there were two new players that each wanted to play well and considered every turn carefully. It is understandable but at times bordered on tedious. But that was the only down side.

Several attempts were made by all three of us to link Shrines. They were all valiant efforts but every opportunity was blocked. I am sure the game appears to some as cutthroat. But I would argue it is not. Attika game can only be played well by blocking each others moves. This was an obvious part of the game and caused no grief to the newbies. In fact, they both enjoyed the challenge of trying to ruin the plans of others while getting their own building on the board in the cheapest way possible. About two thirds through the game it became obvious that it would end with the first person building out. And it did.

I had my harbor and all three ships to play, and one amphora left. But I did not have the cards to get the harbor built. On my turn I drew three new cards. I drew exactly what I needed and was just waiting for the opportunity to drop my harbor onto the board, play two ships, and the third using the amphora. However, I was beat to the punch as the player before me finished his final buildings. It was a good satisfying finish...even though a loss to me.

The questions began immediately... "Where can we get this game? How much it is? How many can play?” They were definitely won over by the games' simplicity coupled with a measure of depth. They might just end up owning this one soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.