BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Evolution vs. Dominant Species vs. 504 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, which of these evolution games should I buy?

Dominant Species
Evolution

Or are they all so much different, I should just have them all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cagey McCageface
United States
Clawson
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominant Species
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played 504, but Evolution and DS are two vastly different games.

Evolution is a fairly straight forward tactical card game that is done in ~1 hour.

Dominant Species is a heavy, 3-5 hour game that has a plethora of different possibilities and a real brain burner of decisions.

Both are stellar games, but for entirely different itches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All three very, very different

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hohner
Canada
Castlegar
BC
flag msg tools
badge
Serenity flies again... thanks to cardboard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevor03 wrote:

Evolution is a fairly straight forward tactical card game that is done in ~1 hour.

Dominant Species is a heavy, 3-5 hour game that has a plethora of different possibilities and a real brain burner of decisions.

Trevor nailed it. I haven't played 504 either. I like Dominant Species. I adore Evolution. If you're into the theme of evolution, Evolution embodies adaptation, predation, extinction in its gameplay better than Dominant Species IMO. In fact, I'd go so far as to say Evolution is the best marriage of theme and mechanic I've ever played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing about Dominant Species:
It is a (don't hurt me) wargame, at least a pretty heavy strategic conflict game.
With lots of interaction and confrontation, hidden beneath a worker-placement mechanism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias Khalil
Qatar
flag msg tools
Follow along on Instagram @tabletopsessions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlosSpicyweener wrote:
It is a (don't hurt me) wargame, at least a pretty heavy strategic conflict game.
With lots of interaction and confrontation, hidden beneath a worker-placement mechanism.

Yes, I agree, Dominant Species is a war game in terms of competition and conflict, but not at all in terms of gameplay. It plays like a heavy euro, with plenty of possible combo strings to pull off. The 2 kinds of area control make for an excellent puzzle to solve. It's one of my favorite games.

I just don't want the terms "War Game" to scare anyone off this game. Maybe think of it more as a mean, mean, mean worker placement/area control game with enough mental itch to keep your brain burning for hours after you're done.

:-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias Khalil
Qatar
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ezeewrap66 wrote:
Trevor03 wrote:

Trevor nailed it. I haven't played 504 either. I like Dominant Species. I adore Evolution. If you're into the theme of evolution, Evolution embodies adaptation, predation, extinction in its gameplay better than Dominant Species IMO. In fact, I'd go so far as to say Evolution is the best marriage of theme and mechanic I've ever played.

Evolution is about the adaptation of your animal itself. Dominant Species is about the your species' ability to survive (through adaptation) in an ever changing world. In a way, they both reflect the theme of evolution (on a smaller, and much grander scale, respectively) quite well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
che2487 wrote:
CarlosSpicyweener wrote:

Yes, I agree, Dominant Species is a war game in terms of competition and conflict, but not at all in terms of gameplay. It plays like a heavy euro, with plenty of possible combo strings to pull off. The 2 kinds of area control make for an excellent puzzle to solve. It's one of my favorite games.

I just don't want the terms "War Game" to scare anyone off this game. Maybe think of it more as a mean, mean, mean worker placement/area control game with enough mental itch to keep your brain burning for hours after you're done.

:-)

What he said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
Dominant Species is a must-have in my eyes. 504 looks good and could easily be a top 10 game (especially with the designer's previous game, Power Grid, being so good). Evolution is quite light, so only get it if you don't mind that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the first time I've seen 504. Wow. Awesome concept. Has this already been released?

Apart from that Dominant Species >> Evolution.

Edit: Since you're looking for Evolution-themed games, have you looked at Sierra Madre games?
There's American Megafauna and Bios: Megafauna that you may find interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evolution is my new favorite game.

From what I can tell, though, it's not comparable to Dominant Species. They're 2 completely different games.

As for 504, that's a whole different story entirely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominant Species is a must have for sure. 504 is on my radar, but apart from the few people who have playtested an early copy, no one will know until Essen. But it looks promising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.