33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

The Battle of Five Armies» Forums » Rules

Subject: Lots of small questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Baramon
msg tools
OK i haven't played a game for a while and i believe i really need to clarify some questions left after last game

1) When I play regroup card do i have to fight till the end of round and only then retreat or do it immediately as i played it?

2) Dwarf veteran card - does damage applied and leadership removed immediately or if they score any hit and in the end of the round.

3) You have mixed army - do i have to name which dice score hit for card i play or how does that work correctly. For example same Dwarf veteran card and in play and i have 2 veterans and 3 lake men, and i'm playing dwarf card this round. Do i roll 2 dice for dwarf and do rerolls if any or do throw them all together and hope for the best?

4) If SP army conquered region and left it undefended do i claim it by only by walking into it.

5) For example i left broken bridge, then goblins walk in there next turn i burn them to the ground with Gendalf lightning. Who owns the area now?

6) Does fortification strength is equal to it's level or it's like with units 1 level of fortification worth 2 points of damage?

7) Great Orc Terrain superiority is basically instant card on his attack even if i have more units that have terrain advantage or number of figures still matters?

8) It's possible to move goblins only with an eye right?

9) have you ever moved Torin out of front gates for any good reason?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Varholak
Slovakia
Pezinok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, since I've played Bo5A game this Saturday, I shall try to reply your questions:
1. You have to fight and apply Regroup effect only if survived that combat round
2. You need to score at least one hit with Dwarf veteran units to apply its effect (it must be a black dice as explained further below)
3. There should be 5 white and 5 black dices dedicated for battle in your game box. Normally you throw white dices but if you have played special maneuver card (e.g. Dwarf veteran) you will substitute that many white dices with black ones as many correspondent units participating in battle (in your example, you will throw 2 black and 3 white dices). If there is a success in at least one black dice, you can apply the effect of Unit card (dwarf veteran). You can choose which dices to re-roll using your present leadership - typically you shall re-roll the black dice(-s) in order to have chance to use them against your enemy. Note the hits provided by black dices are still bring simple damage to the enemy army.
4. Exactly you do
5. The area still remains under control of SP - you need to send there at least one unit to reclaim it.
6. Any hit that you brought against army in fortification is applied to decrease level of fortification = all damage markers you place on fortification triangle icon. Whenever you overpass the level (e.g. in Front gate you would give 7th damage) you apply damage to the army present there. Note that in order to hit fortification you need to bring 6 on dice, afterward you apply normal odd (5-6). Of course, you can change these odds by using cards
7. In order to claim terrain superiority you do not need to play the card - just count number of your units with corresponding icon of terrain + any great orc you have present as attacker
8. Exactly. Even goblins are present in a mixed army, if you want to move all units together, you have to use an eye. I was wrong here. Rafamir has clarified below exactly according to the rules.
9. Difficult to say but in my last game it happened that Thorin died during the defense of Front gate and I had a card to bring one general back to the game. Unfortunately I decided to reincarnate Gandalf who had much less influence in the game as Thorin would have since Thorin have much more Fate cards associated with him...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baramon
msg tools
1) Hehe that makes lot of sense now. IS it possible just to runaway or if fight is started it's started it's started for at least one round?

2) My bad i replace these forgetting the purpose. So basically is i will be lucky with rolls card will only remove apply it effect at the end of the round right?
3) Ty
4) Ty
5-8) Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pecovarhy wrote:
3. There should be 5 white and 5 black dices dedicated for battle in your game box. Normally you throw white dices but if you have played special maneuver card (e.g. Dwarf veteran) you will substitute that many white dices with black ones as many correspondent units participating in battle (in your example, you will throw 2 black and 3 white dices). If there is a success in at least one black dice, you can apply the effect of Unit card (dwarf veteran). You can choose which dices to re-roll using your present leadership - typically you shall re-roll the black dice(-s) in order to have chance to use them against your enemy. Note the hits provided by black dices are still bring simple damage to the enemy army.

Don't Dwarf Veterans roll two dice each, so 4 black dice and 1 white in this example?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also note that you only check for terrain superiority at the start of the first round of combat and all it does is give you an extra card.
Simply count the number of figures (Veterans and Great Orcs count as just 1) that have a terrain bonus in the attacked location and whomever has the most gets the card. In case of a tie, neither gets a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Varholak
Slovakia
Pezinok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DreamStorm wrote:
pecovarhy wrote:

Don't Dwarf Veterans roll two dice each, so 4 black dice and 1 white in this example?

No, no. I will give you example:
Your army has 1 dwarf veteran and only 2 Lake man units.
You will throw 4 dices (2 for Lake men and 2 for Dwarf) but only 1 dice will be substituded by black dice (as only one unit is participating the battle)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pecovarhy wrote:
DreamStorm wrote:
pecovarhy wrote:

You will throw 4 dices (2 for Lake men and 2 for Dwarf) but only 1 dice will be substituded by black dice (as only one unit is participating the battle)

Do you have a rules quote to back that up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DreamStorm wrote:
pecovarhy wrote:

No, each Dwarf Veteran has a combat strength of 2, but the number of black dice is governed by the number of that unit type involved, not their combat strength.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Varholak
Slovakia
Pezinok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baramon wrote:
1) Hehe that makes lot of sense now. IS it possible just to runaway or if fight is started it's started it's started for at least one round?

2) My bad i replace these forgetting the purpose. So basically is i will be lucky with rolls card will only remove apply it effect at the end of the round right?
3) Ty
4) Ty
5-8) Any ideas?

1. The battle will last at least for one round, I think there is no single card (including Regroup) to prevent this
2. Yes, you apply the effect of the card only if success of any black dices and at the end of that round
3.-4. Wc :-)
5.-9. I updated the original reply already

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Baramon wrote:
7) Great Orc Terrain superiority is basically instant card on his attack even if i have more units that have terrain advantage or number of figures still matters?

Not quite. Great Orcs count any terrain type as favored when they are attacking. But if the defending FP army has more units on their favored terrain than the number of Great Orcs in the battle, the FP will have terrain superiority.

Baramon wrote:
8) It's possible to move goblins only with an eye right?

No, a Character die will move any [edit: Shadow] army with leadership and an Army die will move any [edit: Shadow] army at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Varholak
Slovakia
Pezinok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DreamStorm wrote:
pecovarhy wrote:
DreamStorm wrote:
pecovarhy wrote:

Do you have a rules quote to back that up?

Its Page 27, Chapter X: Combat, "Triggering Unit Maneuver Abilities", second sentence

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baramon
msg tools
as for fortification 1 hit equals 1 damage to it right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Varholak
Slovakia
Pezinok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baramon wrote:
as for fortification 1 hit equals 1 damage to it right?

exactly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baramon
msg tools
Quote:

No, each Dwarf Veteran has a combat strength of 2, but the number of black dice is governed by the number of that unit type involved, not their combat strength.

So basically if i have 1 elite dwarf and 1 regular one i get 3 dices because of veteran strength and one of these dices are black because as you've mentioned number of figures matter for black dices?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baramon
msg tools
and it's possible to move only activated generals during turn right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koolin
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. If the other generals are in play, you can move them. Generals that are not activated cannot use their special ability, but they can still fight and act as leaders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Varholak
Slovakia
Pezinok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baramon wrote:
and it's possible to move only activated generals during turn right?

You can move any character, not only activated one. Activation of general just gives you one special action in addition to the action dices thrown that round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baramon
msg tools
Back to Great Orc. Card says deal 2 damage unless your opponent removes 2 leadership tokens or all heroes with this army. If i don't have leadership do i get damage or not?

Also Does Dain and cards are main source of leadership tokens for FP and are they removed as SP leadership tokens at the end of the round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Varholak
Slovakia
Pezinok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baramon wrote:
Back to Great Orc. Card says deal 2 damage unless your opponent removes 2 leadership tokens or all heroes with this army. If i don't have leadership do i get damage or not?

Also Does Dain and cards are main source of leadership tokens for FP and are they removed as SP leadership tokens at the end of the round?

Any black dice that scores a hit scores 2 hits instead in your example. In order to avoid this effect, you have to sacrifice 2 leadership tokens or all characters in in defense army

Yes, the main leadership tokens source are the generals activated for that round. You can obtain of course some additional leadership tokens with using of certain cards. All such obtained leadership tokens are removed after round is finished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you must take the damage. If you don't have any leadership, you can't remove it.

Yes, all leadership tokens, for both sides, are removed at the end of a turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pecovarhy wrote:
Any black dice that scores a hit scores 2 hits instead in your example.

This isn't quite right. Roll your dice and score hits as usual. If any of the black dice hit, that triggers the maneuver ability and the choice for the Free to take the damage or sacrifice leadership (in this case).

Note, the maneuver ability either succeeds or not, you don't apply it multiple times for multiple hits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baramon
msg tools
Few more guys.

1) if we ran out of event deck cards, we don't reshuffle them right?
2) Where exactly on the map Beorn enters, it's not very clear to me
3) Bolg can be left behind alone using Army dice result right? And when he's alone nothing can do anything to him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Varholak
Slovakia
Pezinok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baramon wrote:
Few more guys.

1) if we ran out of event deck cards, we don't reshuffle them right?
2) Where exactly on the map Beorn enters, it's not very clear to me
3) Bolg can be left behind alone using Army dice result right? And when he's alone nothing can do anything to him?

1) Not. Event deck cards ARE reshuffled when ran out.
2) anywhere on southern regions bordering with map's edge, apart of any friendly army - my understanding of Beorn is that he acts always alone.
3) you are right on both statements

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From memory

1 - Yes the generic cards are reshuffled when they run out, the other decks are not.

2 - Any region that is along the bottom of the board that does not contain an army (or shadow control marker - not sure on that).
EDITED: Shadow control marker clarified in later post.

3 - Yes that is true and is often required by the shadow to prevent the free from winning. Obviously this loses most of his advantages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.