Tesla vs. Edison: War of Currents» Forums » Rules

Subject: Awful misinterpretation and a question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Swancara
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Howdy, everyone. First off, I love this game for its historical appeal above anything else and am doing my best to share and promote this game by doing several demos at my local game shop. With that said I am ashamed to say I made an awful misinterpretation of the rules.

Actual Rule: When taking actions you take one action with a luminary then the other player takes one and you go one after the other until all luminaries are activate.
Misinterpretation: I told people you activate ALL your luminaries on your turn then the next player activates ALL their luminaries. I did this in all the games I've played so far... soblue shake

So, with my horrible shame exposed and out of the way, I have a question!
Question: When starting a project and checking the technology level, do you use the actual level technology or are you using your highest level technology? (ex: Buffalo is a Level II city. I have level II Bulb and Level III and Level II AC. Am I using the Level II or Level III AC in this case?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swancman wrote:
Howdy, everyone. First off, I love this game for its historical appeal above anything else and am doing my best to share and promote this game by doing several demos at my local game shop. With that said I am ashamed to say I made an awful misinterpretation of the rules.

Actual Rule: When taking actions you take one action with a luminary then the other player takes one and you go one after the other until all luminaries are activate.
Misinterpretation: I told people you activate ALL your luminaries on your turn then the next player activates ALL their luminaries. I did this in all the games I've played so far... soblue shake

I made the same mistake. Only I caught it after only one play. What threw me off was the research technology action because you can activate all of your luminaries with that action.

Quote:
So, with my horrible shame exposed and out of the way, I have a question!
Question: When starting a project and checking the technology level, do you use the actual level technology or are you using your highest level technology? (ex: Buffalo is a Level II city. I have level II Bulb and Level III and Level II AC. Am I using the Level II or Level III AC in this case?)

You use the highest level of technology in bulbs and you get to choose to use your highest level of technology in AC or highest in DC. In your example, you use level II bulb and level III AC. If you also had level IV in DC, you can choose either level III AC or level IV in DC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Maginity
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be best to avoid usage of the term "highest level", as if you had more than one level to choose from. You don't. At any given time you only have one level in any given technology (where your marker is located; patents don't enter into it except for cost of using technology), so call that your "current level". Don't use the term "actual level" either (I'm assuming you mean the project level). That's not an "actual level", that's a minimum required level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Swancara
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Thank you for that clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.