Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Automobile» Forums » General

Subject: Automobile or Power Grid: Factory Manger? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Mason
msg tools
I’m going to have some friends over, and I’m pretty sure there would be five of us, and I just couldn’t decide between the two games. I plan to warm them up with some party games, and then graduate to a heavier game such as the two mentioned. These people are not gamers, but they’re very intelligent. Most of the time we play party games, but I’ve also played a couple of heavier games with them in the past, and here are the results:

Modern Art – played 5 players, and they loved it. I think we played 2 or 3 times in a row. Dixit was immediately overthrown from their top 3 favorites. I won all games, but each was a very very close win.

Puerto Rico – played a 4 player game. Just an okay game. They understood the nuances of the game immediately and started blocking players from shipping and causing their goods to rot. I lost the game. Their only complaint was the game took too long to finish. Replay meter: unlikely.

Brass – played a 3 player game. Apart from the constant clarifying of which resource needs rails and which “flies”, they got a good grasp of the game and played very well. The major complaint was: it was too damn long. Replay meter: highly unlikely.

Those were the only heavier games that I’ve tried so far. I’ve had both games for the longest time and have never played them more than two players (I play with my wife). The thing I don’t understand about Automobile is that people say it’s a long game. Even the box says its 120 minutes. But from our experience, 2 players, we usually finish in 45 minutes. I get that it would take longer with more players, but more than double the playing time? I guess I need to try it out to find out. My group seems to prefer shorter games, so the game length is a concern of mine. Factory Manger seems to be better in this regard. Another thing is Automobile’s hidden demand tiles. I’m not sure how they’ll take it, because as compared to Factory Manager, you’d have less uncertainty in the latter. Although the math portion of FM I’m not so sure about. Math is okay, but it’s just aplenty here.

So, for those of you who have played and like both games, which do you recommend I start them on? If this goes well, I plan on introducing Power Grid too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a look at the games in your collection.

If they are not really game players go with Power Grid, Ticket to Ride or I'm The Boss.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mason
msg tools
da pyrate wrote:
I've had a look at the games in your collection.

If they are not really game players go with Power Grid, Ticket to Ride or I'm The Boss.


They've already played I'm the Boss but it didn't go very well. The problem being all players kept on decreasing their share just to get a piece of the deal.

Yeah, I've always wanted to let them play Ticket to Ride but just never gotten to do it. I just might do that this time. But I also hope to play sort of economic game.

Seriously, Power Grid? You think that would go better than Automobile or FM? Wouldn't 5 player PG be waaayyy too long?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Avatar
Automobile is going to run 2 hours with 5p. So if they thought Puerto Rico was too long, then I can't see them enjoying it that much - plus, it's a tougher game with that player count which might make it hard for newbies.

Of the two, you may have more luck with Factory Manager.
1 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The trouble with any auction game is that the first time you play it you don't really understand something's value. Having said that, would Fleet work for your group? It's a fast and simple economic game.

If you want a simple economic game have you considered Settlers of Catan?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mason
msg tools
da pyrate wrote:
The trouble with any auction game is that the first time you play it you don't really understand something's value. Having said that, would Fleet work for your group? It's a fast and simple economic game.

If you want a simple economic game have you considered Settlers of Catan?


Modern Art is an auction game, and from my experience most people catch on right after the first round.

To tell you the truth, I haven't really explored Fleet enough to tell.

As with Catan, I'm wary to try it as Bonanza didn't go so well, and I feel they both share the same open negotiation feel.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
brassomason wrote:
da pyrate wrote:
I've had a look at the games in your collection.

If they are not really game players go with Power Grid, Ticket to Ride or I'm The Boss.


They've already played I'm the Boss but it didn't go very well. The problem being all players kept on decreasing their share just to get a piece of the deal.

Yeah, I've always wanted to let them play Ticket to Ride but just never gotten to do it. I just might do that this time. But I also hope to play sort of economic game.

Seriously, Power Grid? You think that would go better than Automobile or FM? Wouldn't 5 player PG be waaayyy too long?

I'd also go with Power Grid. If they can handle auctions in Modern Art, they'll likely get the hang of it here. It will run a bit long, but you could adjust the rules to shorten it a bit: change the requirements to transition from step to step (maybe use the 6-player rules?).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Avatar
What about something like Vegas Showdown? It's not as long, has a good theme, and is an auction game with a spacial element.

Personally, I think they can handle Factory Manager, although it's a bit dry.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For a moment I thought you mean Funkenschlag so I was reflecting what I should comment but then I saw that you mean Power Grid: Factory Manager...

Go for Automobile!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
d0gb0t wrote:
For a moment I thought you mean Funkenschlag so I was reflecting what I should comment but then I saw that you mean Power Grid: Factory Manager...

Go for Automobile!

Hmm ... I, at least, meant Funkenschlag -- definitely not Factory Manager!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mason
msg tools
Thanks for all the insightful comments, although I don't think I have the choices narrowed down just yet. I'll probably just go with the spur of the moment, I hope to play all 3 games one way or the other anyway. And no, I don't think I'm ready for a new game. Still too many left unplayed!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Avatar
brassomason wrote:
Thanks for all the insightful comments, although I don't think I have the choices narrowed down just yet. I'll probably just go with the spur of the moment, I hope to play all 3 games one way or the other anyway. And no, I don't think I'm ready for a new game. Still too many left unplayed!


Good luck! I love Automobile, but it's a tough game for people who can't handle Puerto Rico.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.