11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Request: Ideas for sprucing up a 6-foot folding table. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler Morrow
msg tools
Hello there!

I just purchased a 6-foot white folding table like this one, http://www.walmart.com/ip/33148258?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=222... and was wondering if anyone had customization ideas. I had looked up and found a few ideas a while back, but lost the links and can't find them now. I don't want to spend a ton of money and don't have many tools to work with. I thought of adding felt somehow, or maybe trying to make a topper using insulation board and felt. But any other ideas or tips would be much appreciated. Even painting of some sort would be fine if there is a paint that would work on the surface and not look too tacky. If it helps, I would be using it strictly for board games or card games. Keeping the folding aspect is preferences but not necessary.

Thank you!

Thank you all for your suggestions. I actually didn't get a 6 foot table, my wife found it and it's an 8 foot that folds in the middle, which makes things very difficult. If I do the stretch felt with wood, I'd have to do the middle pieces on top, or do the entire lining on top. I like the elastic idea, but I'm no good with sewing, but may ask my sister for some help there if I go that route. And as far as the spray paint you suggested, I'd like that answer as well if anyone knows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd browse through the list of existing tables built by BGG'ers for table toppers and then check them out:
Game Table Design Series: Completed BGG Game Tables
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the room is big enough you could buy a folding poker tabletop to set on top. Works great!...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At our store we use a tablecloth of sorts for our white tables to get rid of that 'white table' look. We just bought fabric and added an edge of elastic all the way around. That keeps the fabric from getting in the way and also keeps the fabric tight not to mention it looks a whole lot better. Simple. Cheap. You just need some basic sewing knowledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
Morrow28 wrote:
Even painting of some sort would be fine if there is a paint that would work on the surface and not look too tacky.

You're going to be hard pressed to find a paint or glue that will stick to polyethylene or polypropylene -- so likely best to avoid it.

You might consider getting some thin hardwood slats (from Lowes or Home Depot -- red oak would look nice), and a largish sheet of mousepad foam material. Cut the foam sheet to fit slightly smaller than the table top, and then screw the wood strips around the edges of the foam (also on top of the table) to hold the foam taut. The wood could be stained first as well. Alternately, place the foam down, then stretch felt over it and the table edges, and screw the wood to the sides of the table top to hold it all taut.

Just free-associating ideas ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
Morrow28 wrote:
Even painting of some sort would be fine if there is a paint that would work on the surface and not look too tacky.

You're going to be hard pressed to find a paint or glue that will stick to polyethylene or polypropylene -- so likely best to avoid it.

I've seen Krylon spray cans which advertise that they're intended for plastics. Does anyone know how well they work? That would be a marvelously low-effort, low-infrastructure option. I also quite like the elastic-edged tablecloth idea as another way of keeping the table relatively light and foldable. You could do the mousepad or a Gripmat without a wooden border.

You also might consider setting a bottle and a few glasses on top of it. Maker's Mark is popular in my family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd probably just get a large long piece of felt and staple it tightly to the table along the sides. It'd have to be cut in half for the fold part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd avoid getting felt unless you find the expensive type that does not pill. Go with a microfiber (microsuede is my favorite) instead as it is much more robust and won't pill over time assuming you go with the simple solution of a fabric over the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Ferris
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an option to consider:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/938054/building-inexpensive...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morrow28 wrote:
I like the elastic idea, but I'm no good with sewing, but may ask my sister for some help there if I go that route.

There are elastic straps with clips on the ends that are used for securing a fitted sheet onto a mattress. A set of those will hold your tablecloth in place with no sewing required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
I got a sheet of neoprene with a fabric backing for my table, and it is fantastic. Just roll it up when finished and put it away somewhere, it adds some softness to the table, and since one side of it is rubbery, it doesn't move around. It's the same stuff they make the legendary play mats out of, and feels really nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.