9 Posts

XenoShyft: Onslaught» Forums » General

Subject: How different is one game from another? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Wilborn
msg tools
mbmb
I am looking into this game to fill the gap that is deck building in my collection and am wondering about its overall replay value.

I will be playing primarily with 2-players, but being that this is not your typical deck builder where the cards you use substitute in and out and are generally different from one game to another, I am a bit worried about the replayability of the game.

That said the basic version comes with 425 cards which is a lot, so I may be way off.

Thanks for any insight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's some variability in which cards you'll be able to buy game to game, as the 9 item decks are randomized each game. But the monster cards in each hive won't change, nor will the available troops to recruit. I only have the retail version, can't speak for how it may differ with KS extras.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Wilborn
msg tools
mbmb
Mind if I ask what your thoughts on this variability is in items, or how its affected your opinion of the game?

How many items are there total and do the items available change significantly the game experience.

Simply put, have you found this to offer enough variability to play this over and over?

Thanks for the post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not like some other deck-builders where the variability comes from which decks of cards you have to purchase from. Those stay roughly the same.

Here, the variability comes from the specific hands you draw and monsters you encounter each round. It's less about deck-building strategies and more about tactically reacting to the situation at hand. I would compare it more to other co-operative game than to other deck-builders.

I think they missed out on the chance for more variation by making the units and enemies the same each game, but I don't think the game lacks for variety, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Byron's got it right; it's less about finding amazing combos in a sea of cards (a la Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin, for instance) and more about tactical card play and timing.

It's closer to Shadowrun: Crossfire (which, incidentally, I prefer) than it is to other traditional deckbuilders. That said, I think there's something like 20 total item decks that 9 get selected from each game, and I think 8 troop types.

The issue with the troop types (and I can't figure out if I like this or not) is that they're gated by round. So the first three rounds there's only 2 cards to buy, then that expands to 5 cards the next 3 rounds, and finally 8 types for the last 3. Of course, this presupposes you live long enough to see those rounds.

I've only played maybe five or six times, but I feel like it gets pretty samey fairly quickly, at least playing solo. I suspect it works a lot better when you're able to play cards to help out other players and vice versa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artemus Maximus
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found it more interesting when you shuffle the troops for each wave together and all of the 9+ items together. that way, instead of always having a choice between each of the 3 wave 2 troopers every round, you may have only paratroopers available, for example. and if you really need troops, you'll have to buy one when you'd perhaps otherwise choose a stormtrooper because you like them more, forcing you to try other strategies. So in 2 games with the exact same item cards, you might find yourself with many paratroopers and armors in one, but many medics and guns in another, just because of how they cards came up as far as availability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Byron's observations are pretty accurate. I feel like Chris' complaint might be confusing - in Wave 1, there are only 2 troop cards to choose from, you still have the entire selection of item cards you can always buy. Those are not limited by wave, except insofar as some are prohibitively expensive at the beginning of the game.

It is definitely a multiplayer game, I wouldn't recommend it if you intend to play solo much, unless you pretend to be multiple players.

I have no problem replaying it, the selection of items, their relation to your division, and how you deal with the hand you get each turn against the enemies is where the fun is. I do wish there were a greater variation in enemy types, but the upside to that is that you'll spend less time reading the enemy card text to figure out different effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Shinall
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh... Don't think this is the end for Xenoshyft, there is still plenty to come...

Not limited to:

5 new enemies per Wave.
3 new Bosses.

Coming soon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
konicki wrote:
I am looking into this game to fill the gap that is deck building in my collection and am wondering about its overall replay value.

I will be playing primarily with 2-players, but being that this is not your typical deck builder where the cards you use substitute in and out and are generally different from one game to another, I am a bit worried about the replayability of the game.

That said the basic version comes with 425 cards which is a lot, so I may be way off.

Thanks for any insight.

You can always try the iOS/Android app first to see if you like it. I think it costs $2-$4 and will give you a good sense on whether the game is for you.

I personally prefer playing the card game (even solo) although I own both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.