BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: Reviews missing from "Hot" list rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When browsing all BGG game reviews by "Hot", a significant number seem to be missing and aren't listed.

Here's the list generated when using the default URL ending with sort=hot&forumname=reviews
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/browse/boardgame/0?sort...

Compare that with the list generated when using the older style URL ending with sort=hot&forumid=63
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/browse/boardgame/0?sort...

The first URL used to work fine, but now it only lists about 20% of the reviews. For example, about 40 of the all-time top 50 reviews are missing. Are other people seeing the same thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
The two lists are definitely different, and the one with the forumname=reviews in it has numerous entries which aren't even in reviews forums. I tried capitalizing Reviews and came up with a totally different list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
The two lists are definitely different, and the one with the forumname=reviews in it has numerous entries which aren't even in reviews forums. I tried capitalizing Reviews and came up with a totally different list.

When capitalizing "Reviews" at the end of the URL, it produces a list of articles from multiple forums, e.g. Sessions, Reviews, General, Rules. It's not a complete list though.
When using lower case "reviews" at the end of the URL, I only see a list of Reviews, but again, a very incomplete list, and that's my point.

Is this a BGG bug, or is something wonky going on with the forums? I'm certain that this link worked fine previously, and used to give the same results as this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
The forumname=review list seems to only show threads with a last reply date within the last 6 months (on page 2 I see Three Generals Walk into a Bar… with a last reply of Fri Mar 6, 2015 11:35 pm), and also only two pages of threads, while the forumid=63 list goes on till page 1095, apparently listing every single thread ever made in a Reviews forum.

That six month cutoff seems awfully suggestive, making me suspect this is probably somewhat intended behaviour, and that for performance reasons not all threads are being looked at in that view, but only the "active" subset (for a wide definition of active). If in three days that particular thread disappears from the view, that would be even more suggestive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a_traveler wrote:
The forumname=review list seems to only show threads with a last reply date within the last 6 months (on page 2 I see Three Generals Walk into a Bar… with a last reply of Fri Mar 6, 2015 11:35 pm), and also only two pages of threads, while the forumid=63 list goes on till page 1095, apparently listing every single thread ever made in a Reviews forum.

Good catch - that's very observant of you!

Another possibility is that the forumname=review list only shows review threads that have earned new thumbs in the last number of days/weeks, while the forumid=63 list shows all review threads. Your explanation does seem more probable, and is worth keeping an eye on to confirm it.

The strange thing is that I'm certain the forumname=review list previously did show all reviews, because it was the link used in the BGG World Records list for this category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a_traveler wrote:
The forumname=review list seems to only show threads with a last reply date within the last 6 months

Now that some time has passed, I've had another look at this, and compared the current results with the ones from the time when I first posted the thread. Judging by what comes up now, you are absolutely right.

● The forumname=reviews link only shows most thumbed review threads that have had a reply posted in the last 6 months.

● The forumid=63 link shows the most thumbed reviews of all time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Thanks for the bug report. I'll take a look at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.