Subject: Recommend the best upgrade for first edition owner rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrik Söderberg
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I'm a happy owner of the original KS edition of Viticulture, and have been considering adding something to it in one way or another - but there are so many options! 1st ed upgrade, Tuscany, Essential Edition, metal coins... And it all looks so good!

To keep it short: what would you recommend?

Or even shorter: help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to have the option of playing a heavier variant of Viticulture that has loads of modular expansions that increase variety while still playing Viticulture, then buy Tuscany

If you want to slightly extend your existing Viticulture to a sort of "2.0" release - i.e. add the expansions that "everyone" "always" plays with, then buy the newly announced Essential Edition Conversion pack

Buy the coins. Just do it. Buy several packs, you'll use them in all your games. (I have three packs, one in the Collector's Edition box, and two in my flight case of gaming bits that always travels to sessions)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whichever comes with the new board with all four seasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AceAceBaby wrote:
Whichever comes with the new board with all four seasons.
That's Tuscany. But that takes the game from a good mid-range WP game to a somewhat more advanced game. Hence the guidance I gave above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Söderberg
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both for your recommendations!

Just to be sure (and given that I already own the first edition Viticulture):
a) Are the changes from 1st to 2nd edition Viticulture included in Tuscany?
b) Does Tuscany include everything in the Essential Edition (plus some more)?

I kind of feel that if I didn't already own the original, I would probably go for the Essential Edition. But since I do, it seems like Tuscany adds more value. Unless I have missed something, which has been known to happen.

Either way, I will probably not be able to resist the coins

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrik: Thanks for your questions! My answers are below:

a. No, they're not. For that you'll need the 1st edition upgrade pack (http://www.amazon.de/Stonemaier-Games-Viticulture-Update-Pac...).

b. Yes, it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Söderberg
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Jamey for your answers - although I can't say it made my decision any easier! Still, to be able to tell my wife that the designer is actively involved in the forums will probably make the purchase an easier sell for me at home

Keep up the good work and best of luck with your current projects!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Söderberg
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the story on what happened next:

I couldn't make up my mind, but then I stumbled upon a copy of Tuscany Prima including metal coins and the Viticulture 1st ed upgrade pack...

Ok so it's a short story
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.