Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game of Five Tribes with the Artisans expansion yesterday and loved it. I really felt that it enhanced an already great game - especially loving the way that the mountains and the chasm give the board shape, which I didn't even realise was missing before.

Anyway, reading through the Artisans rules gave rise to this question (which actually didn't occur during our game, but I feel will at some point). The Enchanting Flute is described thusly:

rulebook wrote:
The Enchanting Flute
Select a Tile. You can move up to 5 meeples of any color(s), from any adjacent Tile(s), onto this Tile. This does not allow to you to take control of these Tiles

So the question is - does "adjacent" here mean any of the surrounding eight tiles? Put another way, is diagonal adjacency counted as adjacent, or just orthogonal adjacency? Given the movement rules, I could see an argument for just orthogonal, but some of the Djinns include diagonal adjacency, so....?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno cathala
France
st pierre en faucigny
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MercifulBiscuit wrote:

So the question is - does "adjacent" here mean any of the surrounding eight tiles? Put another way, is diagonal adjacency counted as adjacent, or just orthogonal adjacency? Given the movement rules, I could see an argument for just orthogonal, but some of the Djinns include diagonal adjacency, so....?

adjacent means orthogonal adjacency (like for standard moves)
and like for standard moves, mountains block this adjacency
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, interesting. I'd forgotten to even think about the mountains.

Thanks, Bruno. (Btw, just finished reading your designer diary on the DOW site. Interesting read. I love reading about the birth of these really personal sorts of projects. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the record, the item tiles shows 4 arrows on the top, bottom and 2 sides meaning these are the directions the meeples can come from.

I wasn't aware that mountains block adjacency, preventing you from pulling a meeple across a range. Probably missed that in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.