BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Calling out Queen Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Ng
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Its more than 1 year from the delivery date, they have been selling the game in retail for some time now, at least 10 campaigns have been ran by them since but I have yet to receive my pledge from the Thebes kickstarter campaign. I have contacted them multiple times on different channels and have received zero response.

Am I the only one? For one of the bigger company in boardgaming, this is disgusting behaviour. I will never pledge another Queen project but first I would like to get what I pledged for. Queen Games I'm calling you out.

Yours Truly

Neil Ng
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always bring your towel.
United States
Morrilton
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never heard anything particularly good about dealing with Queen Games. But then, I've never dealt with them personally. I own a game or two from them, but they weren't purchased directly.

Hopefully you get a response and the issue gets resolved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard they react quickly if you post stuff like this in the comments of the current kickstarter campaign. Someone called that the Queen customer service page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that Queen games rips-off/ignores-which-is-indistiguishable-from-rips-off a certain percentage of their customers and this seems to be an acceptable loss to them.

Normally, the level of bad press they receive (which is considerable) would cause them to go out of business. But because they only operate through kickstarter now and on average kickstarter backers are exceptionally dumb/uninformed/supernaturally forgiving, there is effectively no market selection against their bad business practices.

I say all of this to tell you that in all likelihood you will get no product and get no response from them. Why? Because you simply don't matter. You've already given them your money and if they spend effort on you it would make no difference whatsoever.

Really the best you can do is repost your complaint on the Queen games page below to serve as a record (basically put your issue in the pile with the rest of them):

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepublisher/47/queen-ga...

The only way you might have a chance at getting what they promised you is if you hound the comment section of the current kickstarter campaign like a vengeful demon.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It might help to specify the game...

Pete (isn't a Kickstarter regular)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zentaur wrote:

my pledge from the Thebes kickstarter campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am once again forced to type:

Reading comprehension is a skill.

Pete (failed his skill check)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As has been said, use the comments section of their current Kickstarter. Post multiple times. It's not elegant, but unfortunately it gets results.

I've also read (but have not experienced myself) that their phone customer service is good. Of course, phone costs could be prohibitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt McDunnell
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed the Lancaster Big Box and am sorry that I did. I have already received numerous games that I backed after this kickstarter ended. The game was supposed to ship in August. The last update was that production was now scheduled for the last week of August. This is not a new game. It is a repackaged game with a few new components. Queen's customer service is some of the worst I have seen on kickstarter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bergom
United States
Towson
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
"Sometimes it would be nice to be wrong about people." -Commander Samuel Vimes
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
But because they only operate through kickstarter now and on average kickstarter backers are exceptionally dumb/uninformed/supernaturally forgiving, there is effectively no market selection against their bad business practices.

I have to admit, this is something that does surprise me about Kickstarter. The Kickstarter business model seems to depend on the goodwill of the potential backers, and without that, the Kickstarters would fail. Theoretically, at least.

Queen, MERCS, Game Salute, and others that aren't as easily springing to my mind do so much to destroy that goodwill, but their Kickstarters continue to fund. Are the games just that good that we're willing to take it? Or do we just have that little faith in the traditional publishing model? Or is it something else entirely?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nbergom wrote:
Or is it something else entirely?

I think it is just human nature.

Desire + Hope = Trust

Add in small stakes plus an unwillingness in the US to say anything bad about companies (it'll hurt the economy! and their feelings, oh no) and the result is predictable.

Fascinating to be sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not what anyone wants to hear, but Queen kickstarters have been very good to me. Mistakes have been made, but they were also corrected (not always on the first try, but they kept trying). I am, clearly, an anomaly. Heck, even DXV couldn't get them to respond to his emails.

I think their new kickstarter model has them severely understaffed for the workload and so a lot falls through the cracks.

I have had my best luck contacting them through the email addresses on their webpage. Contacting them through the kickstarter email system has been hit or miss. Sometimes it works, but sometimes it seems to get lost and I have to recontact.

All that being said, I am done with all kickstarters, not just Queen's. I think I prefer the model where I give someone money and they give me something tangible as opposed to promises.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Parfum is pretty good IMO and they put out kingdom builder...

Kickstarter is kind of meh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
nathairday wrote:

I've heard very little good about Parfum, just Fresco Lite. Which is hardly a selling point!

To me their whole Big Box obsession just smacks of cynical money grabbing. As if selling you the same stuff in a single box makes it a better game somehow. Rip off. Kingdom Builder Big Box?? Well at least I can use it as a makeshift pillow whilst playing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Queen's customer service is some of the worst not only in board game publishing but out of any corporation out there.

Kickstarter is fine; it's a platform and it's used by a lot of different people. 90% of all my KS projects are absolutely fine; that's head and shoulders above the service I get at my local grocery store even.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
nathairday wrote:

I've heard very little good about Parfum, just Fresco Lite. Which is hardly a selling point!

To me their whole Big Box obsession just smacks of cynical money grabbing. As if selling you the same stuff in a single box makes it a better game somehow. Rip off. Kingdom Builder Big Box?? Well at least I can use it as a makeshift pillow whilst playing?

It's also a wonderful deal for people who don't own the game. I would LOVE the chance to pay just to get one box to hold the whole game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Conner
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
Normally, the level of bad press they receive (which is considerable) would cause them to go out of business. But because they only operate through kickstarter now and on average kickstarter backers are exceptionally dumb/uninformed/supernaturally forgiving, there is effectively no market selection against their bad business practices.

I think you are absolutely spot-on with this comment. If I could thumb it 100 times I would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
nathairday wrote:

It's also a wonderful deal for people who don't own the game. I would LOVE the chance to pay just to get one box to hold the whole game.
Which game specifcally? All the expansions they crank out don't make their games any better imho)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
dkearns wrote:
KS has always had people in-the-know with standards who get rightfully pissed off over shady publishers doing shady things. But there has also always been a counterweight of dewy-eyed rubes who see something shiny and immediately hit the Pledge button. That seesaw has tipped towards the skeptics, but there are still a host of Pollyannas/cheerleaders out there willing to forgive every slight, bear every burden, and accuse every person who brings up valid complaints as "haters."

It's a lot like BGG in that regard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
All this re Queen is good to know--and remember--when contemplating KS campaigns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
plus an unwillingness in the US to say anything bad about companies (it'll hurt the economy! and their feelings, oh no)

Well now that companies are people too..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed two Queen projects (Thebes and Fresco) and had no issues with either one. I suspect they're probably better at fulfillment in North America than in Singapore. They probably should be a little more honest than to give the same estimated delivery date for shipping "Anywhere in the world."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nbergom wrote:
dkearns wrote:
But because they only operate through kickstarter now and on average kickstarter backers are exceptionally dumb/uninformed/supernaturally forgiving, there is effectively no market selection against their bad business practices.

I have to admit, this is something that does surprise me about Kickstarter. The Kickstarter business model seems to depend on the goodwill of the potential backers, and without that, the Kickstarters would fail. Theoretically, at least.

Queen, MERCS, Game Salute, and others that aren't as easily springing to my mind do so much to destroy that goodwill, but their Kickstarters continue to fund. Are the games just that good that we're willing to take it? Or do we just have that little faith in the traditional publishing model? Or is it something else entirely?

Might in part be the toll you have to pay to comment. Would be a good idea, I think, if backers of previous KS campaigns could post on current campaigns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:

plus an unwillingness in the US to say anything bad about companies (it'll hurt the economy! and their feelings, oh no) and the result is predictable.

I doubt that is the issue. People bitch about corporate greed non-fucking-stop. Must be talking about some other US.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
...plus an unwillingness in the US to say anything bad about companies (it'll hurt the economy! and their feelings, oh no)...
You and I are experiencing a very different US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.