The Republic of Rome» Forums » Rules

Subject: Face up and Face down cards in the Curia rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rulebook specifically states that the destroyed concessions go face down in the Curia. Is it the same for the enemy Leaders and (deceased) Senatorial family cards?

Additionally, if the rules specifically state that everything, including the discard piles, except for the family treasuries and the held cards, is not hidden information - what is the purpose of keeping them face-down?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Horne
United States
Whitehall
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mr. Axle can do all for you.
badge
Apologize again!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you are correct; Leaders with no matching War wait in the Curia, as do dead Senators.

As far as I'm aware, there is no purpose in having the Curia or the discard pile face-down. As you say, it's all public information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AxleKerrigan wrote:
Yes, you are correct; Leaders with no matching War wait in the Curia, as do dead Senators.

As far as I'm aware, there is no purpose in having the Curia or the discard pile face-down. As you say, it's all public information.

So I guess it's an oversight in the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Horne
United States
Whitehall
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mr. Axle can do all for you.
badge
Apologize again!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:

Who knows why they included the word "face-down" in the rules? The Valley Games rulebook has several errors that affect game play, so this small, irrelevant contradiction is the least of its problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AxleKerrigan wrote:
Sargeras777 wrote:

Who knows why they included the word "face-down" in the rules? The Valley Games rulebook has several errors that affect game play, so this small, irrelevant contradiction is the least of its problems.

These contradictions appear in the original AH rules as well. In a couple spots it states face down but in several others it does not. My guess is it was changed during development and a couple of references were missed.

In game play, there's little benefit from some cards being face down so I've always played with them face up. They should go to the bottom though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ward wrote:
AxleKerrigan wrote:
Sargeras777 wrote:

These contradictions appear in the original AH rules as well. In a couple spots it states face down but in several others it does not. My guess is it was changed during development and a couple of references were missed.

In game play, there's little benefit from some cards being face down so I've always played with them face up. They should go to the bottom though.

What do you mean, bottom?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:
Ward wrote:
AxleKerrigan wrote:
Sargeras777 wrote:

What do you mean, bottom?

As opposed to the top. Below all other cards already in the Curia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Göransson
Sweden
Jönköping
flag msg tools
mb
I think the face-down part for Senators is because of the repopulating rome rule. So that there's a risk that (even if you're guaranteed a new senator) you might get one considerably worse (unless you remember the exact order they died in).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.