Subject: Into the mists: A contrarian experience rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerome Loisel
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried Mistfall for the first time last night, solo with only one hero, only to get used to the rules. I can confirm that it is daunting. There are many, many rules, the round order is extremely complex, and there is no earthly reason why the back cover of the rulebook isn't a full round order. Instead, it is art of a fire sorceress villain, which is perfectly appropriate. She burned the round order summary, evil as she is, and took its place, taunting you eternally.

I am playing Into the Mists. I have Crow, who seems like a good choice to play solo, but I fully expect to get slaughtered on the first tile, or anyway lose very quickly.

(Gameplay for solo experience is said to be about a half-hour, but the game took something like 2-3 hours, mostly because I was always going back to the rulebook and the FAQ and googling for answers to make sure I wasn't mis-playing the game. For what it's worth, it doesn't look like I did. Also: I am writing this from memory, so I don't have the real names of all the cards.)

= Round 1. =

My first location is "The Hunting Grounds" or something like that. It injures all beasts by 1 damage every round, which sounds very fortunate for me considering I should be facing a lot of beasts. I draw my first encounter and it is one with a _lot_ of enemies: 2 x the number of heroes + 1, so 3 in my case. It is easy to finish, though: it requires only two progress tokens, and one token is added every round. I just hope I don't draw too many "Relentless" enemies, because that seems to be what kills people. I draw my 3 enemies. The first two are wolf-like "relentless" beasts, and the last one is a relentless archer. Good grief! 2 of them engage me.

I start thinking about my plan for this quest. I know I can use Crow's ability to put one progress token on the quest, and then another gets added automatically by the quest, giving us the total of 2 tokens required to complete it, which would mean I complete the quest on the first round. I hesitate because of my relentless enemies, but decide to go for it because it sounds like a good deal not to have to deal with reinforcements, and to progress quickly, without drawing too many Time cards.

This means my main Action will be to make the quest progress. I check to see if I can kill my two enemies, and I can't. My enemies have 3 health each, so I can't kill both, but I only need to get them to 2 damage before the location finishes them off, so I have enough to do that to 1 of them. And I have a dodge card that can send the enemy back into the quest area when I use it... And as I'm looking at all of this, it seems clear that "Relentless" is only active when the enemy is in the Hero area, battling one hero. When the enemy is chilling in the quest area, they are not relentless. I double-check on the internet, and sure enough.

And that is what I do. I manage to kill one beast, dodge the other, do my quest, and the two remaining enemies are dispersed to the discard pile, granting me 1 extra XP in the process, thanks to Crow's special ability when enemies are dispersed. I had to discard some cards, but I did not take any damage at all. And I get to rest, now! So I move most of my discard pile to the bottom of my deck and get ready for my second tile.

But first, my Time card. I just hope I don't draw "Into the Mists." That is said to single-handedly kill games. Of course, I draw "Into the Mists," moving my time track by 2 and forcing me to discard 2 cards.

= Round 2. =

My new location is a river or something like that. It acts as a natural barrier, which prevents escaping, if I remember correctly, but is great for resting after the fight. Sounds like a good deal to me! I don't plan on running away anyway. I draw my encounter and it is a burning longhouse: 3 progress tokens are required to progress. None are generated automatically each round, but I can just add some there by adding a fire token to my hero. I do this as a "fast action," so it sounds like I can do this multiple times per round. I guess I could just use my hero ability again to put one progress token there, and then take two fire tokens to be done in one round again.

But first, I will need to defeat some enemies. Except that I have a plan for that: I now have 5 XP (focus), which means I can buy a card for my hero that has a passive ability that seems extremely strong: it gives my dagger attacks +1 damage, increasing my threat by 1 at the same time. I can use my dagger as a quick action, which means an infinite number of times, for 1 damage each time (+1 damage if I discard a card, which is very important). An infinite number of 1-damage hits doesn't seem to do anything in this game because no enemy seems to have no physical resistance at all, but an infinite number of 2-damage hits (with the potential for 3 by discarding), that sounds promising.

(Note: Yes, I did look at the erratas, and I was playing Crow's cards as recommended by that errata.)

But let's draw the enemies. There are three. I forget to draw the third, but it doesn't matter because I'll never have to fight him anyway. The two I draw are two werewolf-type guys who are pretty weak but heal when enraged. It doesn't seem like that will matter because I already see I have enough cards to kill both of them. So do I really want to finish the quest in one round? I will have two burning tokens, so that's at least 3 damage to me. I decide to do it to not face reinforcements and extra time cards.

I kill all enemies, finish the quest, get more XP, and a fun reward that will allow me to draw 3 cards (it's a potion). I had already bought some cards allowing me to buy more cards, which I did during the round, so I now have 8 or 9 cards in hand and 5 XP to buy even more cards, and that looks like a strong enough hand to start the final encounter.

I draw a Time card that would force me to discard a dagger. I choose to lose XP instead.

= Round 3. =

The final encounter. I have to defeat 4 enemies plus the final boss. I have a lot of cards in hand to boost my damage, cards like "backstab" and "double knife stab," and I have enough experience to buy a card which will allow me to do two standard actions every turn instead of 1 (with some conditions that force me to plan ahead). My standard actions are stronger than my infinite weak actions, so that sounds valuable. I want to be able to do massive damage in one round to reduce the number of times I have to _take_ damage.

I draw my four enemies. There are two weak guys that boost beasts, one beast that is stronger in a pack, and one archer who is not weak at all. The main enemy goes at the end and has 9 life, and 2 physical resistance. I place the first two enemies in front of me. I realize that I can't kill them both with only my infinite weak actions: I actually need to discard some of my cards to finish them off. But I can also use my tool belt once to get a card back into my hand, so I really don't end up losing too much. I add a couple more XP to my hand, which allows me to buy cards which I will need to just be able to discard, and I finish the round with no enemy in front of me, and again a hand of 8-10 cards.

I draw a Time card that forces me to discard a Divine card. Since I don't have any, it has no effect.

The three remaining enemies engage me. I try to calculate the way to save my biggest attacks for the boss, and how much damage these can do. I can get him to 6 damage tokens easily by discarding my strongest combo cards, but what do I do with the smaller enemies? Do I discard to kill them off or do I take it more slowly, forcing me to block more damage, but letting me do more main attacks? I'll need time to finish the main boss anyway since my main attacks will not kill him this round.

Then I think about my +1 to damage card of op-ness again and I realize that since both small enemies have only 1 physical resistance, I can just kill them without discarding. This will increase my threat a lot, which will activate the beast once, but it only does 1 damage, so that is not a big deal, and then that will increase the reinforcements, but since there are no reinforcements in the final encounter, that doesn't matter either. All right, let's just declare them dead! I do the actual bookkeeping of increasing my threat and going through with the "consequences" and remove them from the game. More XP! I can buy another card which I will discard.

I do my big attacks against the main enemy and bring him to 6 damage, only 3 from death. I have 5-6 cards left in hand and need to think about how I will block his damage. He will do 4. I can take all of the damage from my discard pile. But then, will I be able to kill him next turn? Which combos do I have left? How much damage will my main attack do?

Wait a minute. He has 2 physical resistance. I can do an infinite number of 2-damage attacks, which I can increase to 3 by discarding. I have 5-6 cards in hand, most of them with the "Combat" keyword required to activate this ability. Why am I talking about taking damage? He's already dead. I dump my hand in my discard pile. I've won. Every encounter finished in one round. Never had to read the full "reinforcement" rules. Every monster dealt with immediately. Final boss stabbed in the face like 7 times before he does anything. Victory, I guess.

Final thoughts

It was fun, but it did feel a bit hollow, in the end. And that is my contrarian experience: Everyone is talking about how hard the game is, and I did not have that experience, and I wanted to put it out there so others know. I do not know WHY my experience was different from what others describe. Perhaps crow is OP. Perhaps my location, encounter, or enemy cards happened to be very easy, or the combinations I drew happened to be very easy, etc. I don't know. For what it's worth, I tend to think it's about Crow being a bit OP.

But hey: That was the tutorial scenario. It's supposed to be easy. That explanation works for me too. I had fun, and I'm looking forward to trying the other scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused. You're using the dagger right? Its Fast Action is only one wound plus a discard. So you couldn't use it to deal three damage because you're only allowed one discard.

You could deal three damage (or Four) damage with its Regular Action, but you only get ONE of those.

What is the card you're holding reserve for a +1? Most cards like that are played from the hand and gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bendik Vedeler
Norway
Høvik
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nice write-up.

I would just like to point out that you played the first encounter slightly wrong. Wound-tokens are used to mark the amount of damage an enemy has taken, thus Hunting Grounds "remove 1 (wound) marker from each beast" actually heals each beast 1 wound each turn.

I am also fairly sure that Relentless enemies are Relentless regardless of whether they are in the Hero area or the Quest area, at least that is how I have played it. I would love to be proven wrong on this though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bendik Vedeler
Norway
Høvik
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mikecl wrote:
I'm confused. You're using the dagger right? Its Fast Action is only one wound plus a discard. So you couldn't use it to deal three damage because you're only allowed one discard.

You could deal three damage (or Four) damage with its Regular Action, but you only get ONE of those.

What is the card you're holding reserve for a +1? Most cards like that are played from the hand and gone.

That would probably be Crows 3-Resolve ability Short Blade Mastery, in which case he played it correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neophyte wrote:
Nice write-up.

I would just like to point out that you played the first encounter slightly wrong. Wound-tokens are used to mark the amount of damage an enemy has taken, thus Hunting Grounds "remove 1 (wound) marker from each beast" actually heals each beast 1 wound each turn.

I am also fairly sure that Relentless enemies are Relentless regardless of whether they are in the Hero area or the Quest area, at least that is how I have played it. I would love to be proven wrong on this though.

Yes, Hunting Grounds actually heals Beasts.

Relentless does only apply to enemies in Hero Areas: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/20204241#20204241

I assume Ghardhak's bodyguard ability was played correctly - it's a bit hard to see that in the write up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neophyte wrote:
Nice write-up.

I think the icon next to their ability [H] or [Q] denotes where they are Relentless. So in every case I've seen so far they're only Relentless in the [H] area. You can use a portion like Invisibility to send them to the Quest area where they could be dispersed at the end of an Encounter. I don't have the rulebook in front of me, but there's a section in there on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I can't see it anywhere in the rulebook but you're right it's clearly marked as [H] Relentless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bendik Vedeler
Norway
Høvik
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Neophyte wrote:

mikecl wrote:
I think the icon next to their ability (H) or (Q) denotes where they are Relentless. So in every case I've seen so far they're only Relentless in the (H) area. You can use a portion like Invisibility to send them to the Quest area where they could be dispersed at the end of an Encounter. I don't have the rulebook in front of me, but there's a section in there on this.

Ibbo wrote:
Relentless does only apply to enemies in Hero Areas: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/20204241#20204241

Excellent. Sometimes it's nice to be proven wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ibbo wrote:
Yeah, I can't see it anywhere in the rulebook but you're right it's clearly marked as [H] Relentless.

I think there's a section in the rulebook that says an enemy's special abilities are limited to the area denoted by those icons. But I'm on a bus and can't look it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jloisel wrote:
= Round 2. =
But let's draw the enemies. There are three. I forget to draw the third, but it doesn't matter because I'll never have to fight him anyway. The two I draw are two werewolf-type guys who are pretty weak but heal when enraged. It doesn't seem like that will matter because I already see I have enough cards to kill both of them. So do I really want to finish the quest in one round? I will have two burning tokens, so that's at least 3 damage to me. I decide to do it to not face reinforcements and extra time cards.

I kill all enemies, finish the quest, get more XP, and a fun reward that will allow me to draw 3 cards (it's a potion). I had already bought some cards allowing me to buy more cards, which I did during the round, so I now have 8 or 9 cards in hand and 5 XP to buy even more cards, and that looks like a strong enough hand to start the final encounter.

I'm a bit confused on Round 2 - you kill all enemies, have to bury 3 cards, Riverbank has a restore value of 2 (IIRC) and Crow probably gets +1 and you still end up with 8/9 cards in hand? I'm sure it's possible but of course your reward potion (+3 cards) can't be used until the next round. I'm only interested as I seem to struggle often with this game so learning more helps me a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Wow, threads like this (and tons of rules questions still poring in) really put me in doubt if I want to take off the shrink or sell it and wait for version 2. I have no desire to slog thru so much errata and vague rules... yet the KS has bonus content I assume v2 won't.

You guys aren't helping my decision making.

BTW, the fire sorceress torching the round summary really cracked me up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JYoder wrote:

Wow, threads like this (and tons of rules questions still poring in) really put me in doubt if I want to take off the shrink or sell it and wait for version 2. I have no desire to slog thru so much errata and vague rules... yet the KS has bonus content I assume v2 won't.

You guys aren't helping my decision making.

BTW, the fire sorceress torching the round summary really cracked me up.

I wouldn't wait. There's not that much errata for a complex card game and these are the kinds of rules questions you get when you're dealing with a game featuring a lot of card interaction.

My feeling after three plays is there's a good game in the box, but it does have a learning curve. That's not always a bad thing. Simple games, tend to wear out their welcome quickly while complex ones with lots of interesting decisions have staying power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Folke
Denmark
Lyngby (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
badge
Pierce 2
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for this writeup. I really like your style, I felt it gave me a good impression of how I would play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.