Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Barnes
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just finished up the most fun New Year's Eve I think I've ever had (as a full-fledged adult ). We had 3 other families over for a night of fun and games. The kids kept themselves occupied with Wii/PS3/air hockey/foosball while the grown-ups settled in for some group-friendly games.

We kicked off the night with 2 sessions of Tumblin' Dice, which went over very well. I added a 5th set of dice for the 2nd session, which made for even more tension. We added a house rule for rounds 2-4 of each game that made players go in order by total score, from high to low. That seemed to keep the scoring a bit tighter, as going later gives one a slight advantage.

Next up was a double session of Wits and Wagers, which is always a big hit. Everyone at the table had played before. As usual (for us), the game was decided both times by the final question.

We followed that up with a trash-talk filled double session of Diamant. This game seems to favor those who take a conservative approach (get out while you can), but that never stops me from staying in to the bitter end, hoping for the big score. It almost never works, but I love it anyway.

Next came a long but hilarious session of Things...Humour in a Box. This game is hilarious in a regular session, but at 10 o'clock at night it gets even better. Most of the 1000 laughs came during this session.

We followed up Things with a tension filled session of Snorta. I hate playing the game myself (I stink!), but I love to watch other folks play, so that makes it a winner in my book.

At this point I gave out the special award for the night. I had been keeping track of how many games each family had won, and awarded the leading family with a brand new copy of Simply Catan, which I had won during the most recent Tangathon. I already have Settlers and Seafarers, so I thought this would be a great way to potentially hook somebody new on our hobby.

By this point it was 11:45, so we dove into a quick session of The Great Dalmuti. Let me tell you, late night Great Dalmuti is the best way to play. Everyone was into their roles and good-natured trash-talking was abundant. We finished the 1st round at 11:58, dashed into the family room to watch the ball drop, smooched, then dashed back to the gameroom for 2 more quick rounds.

Our guests were trickled out soon after, but a great time was had by all from start to finish.

So, what did YOU do for New Year's Eve?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denee Tyler
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had some old gaming friends over with their kids, too. The parents and adult children played Terra, but we couldn't cooperate enough to save the world. Meanwhile, the younger kids were downstairs playing a rousing game of MagBlast, after which they moved to Dungeons and Dragons and Gamecube. After three unsuccessful tries at Terra, we played I'm the Boss, and then my daughter's boyfriend showed up. At that point we played Snorta twice and then a game of Saboteur. By then it was ten to midnight, so we passed out noisemakers and celebrated. After the celebrating it was back to boardgaming with just our immediate family and the boyfriend--a game of Things--ironically we had questions like "Things you wouldn't want your parents to talk about with your boyfriend/girlfriend." blush As usual, Things was good for a lot of laughs. We finally wrapped everything up at about 2 AM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a tradition of having a bunch of my college buddies over for New Year's Eve gaming. This was our 17th installment, and we had a lot of fun. We started with a large game of Wits & Wagers (5 teams of 2), which ended with two teams finishing tied for the win! From there some went out for a walk (walking the dog, and just getting some fresh air) while the rest of us sat down for a couple games of Ave Caesar. Although I got smoked both times, I still had fun, and I want to again thank my Secret Santa for sending that title to me this year. Thanks! After that four of us threw some folks into the volcano in The Downfall of Pompeii (that was a gift from Mom...thanks Mom!) We then finished up with two seven person games of Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game, with the Once Upon a Time: Dark Tales expansion included. Again, I had a rough couple games, but the stories that came out were a lot of fun, and the commentary on the stories from the peanut gallery was just hilarious. laugh Those games finished just in time to pour the champagne and sparkling apple cider and enjoy the countdown, and they ended up being the last games of the evening. It was a lot of fun, and I'm really grateful that I've been able to get together with these folks so often, for the gaming of course, but also just for the friendships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
barneshome wrote:
So, what did YOU do for New Year's Eve?

We started on Friday night, and aren't done yet. 12 people at a time, and around 15 total have been over all weekend for a boardgame orgy and an awesome turkey dinner on Sunday.

I've played 26 games so far this weekend.

Gaming highlight:
* Die Macher + Age of Steam being played simultaneously in my basement, while Dos Rios was going on upstairs. Something for everyone.

Our D&D game starts in 2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Scott
United States
West Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had some relatives over for our annual NYE party. We started off with Apples to Apples Junior. One of my cousin's shyer youngster's initially didn't want to play, but during the first round had no problem coaching her mom what cards to play after seeing how much fun we were having. It was pretty funny. She joined in for the next couple of rounds.

Next, we trotted out Deluxe Pass the Pigs. This is a game that is very easy to teach newbies and seems to hold their interest. Me, on the other hand, well, I started to zone out... just a tad bit too boring for my tastes, but oh well. I admit it is fun to give a person a hard time when they pig out after getting a bit too greedy on the pig rolls.

After that, we broke out my Werewolf deck. My eldest son is a huuuuuge fan of this game (as are the others in my family) and always requests that we give it a shot at family gatherings. Our play group ages ranged from my youngest son, 6 years old, to my dad at 61 years.

We ended our night playing BANG!. I mentioned how it shared some similarities with Werewolf so teaching it wasn't too bad. I'd really like to play this more. Anyhow, as we were playing we missed the exact second into the New Year -- by a few minutes. Guess we were just having too much fun shooting at the sheriff.

All in all, I think it was a fun night. Also, I think the beer helped. Heh heh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.