Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James McHaffey
United States
Rancho Santa Fe
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe these games use the same molds. How easy is it to convert ships from Attack Wing to Fleet Captains? I'm not much of a painter so I was thinking of just buying the Attack Wing pre-painted equivalents and converting them to Fleet Captain pieces which use the HeroClix base. Has anyone done this successfully? Do they disassemble easily or do you need to break them off and reglue? Do they even fit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be a break off and re-glue i would think, also its probably not worth the effort as the paint jobs on the stock attack wing stuff are very poor in some places. You are also paying for the cards that come with the ship and the tokens, so it could become quite expensive to get the same number of ships that are in Fleet Captains.

Most people convert the other way round.

The bottom of the attack wing ships have a little peg, you would need to start by cutting that off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davor Ground Runner
msg tools
Why bother rebasing? I mean just use the cards that come with the game. I read some people use paper clips to show the setting since the clix can break since they are so brittle on some ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McHaffey
United States
Rancho Santa Fe
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HsojVvad wrote:
Why bother rebasing? I mean just use the cards that come with the game. I read some people use paper clips to show the setting since the clix can break since they are so brittle on some ships.

Because I'm trying to create larger battles and do away with the redundant cards altogether. It's gets difficult to track if you have more than 2 or the same class ship...

Typheron wrote:
That would be a break off and re-glue i would think, also its probably not worth the effort as the paint jobs on the stock attack wing stuff are very poor in some places. You are also paying for the cards that come with the ship and the tokens, so it could become quite expensive to get the same number of ships that are in Fleet Captains.

Most people convert the other way round.

The bottom of the attack wing ships have a little peg, you would need to start by cutting that off.

I want to have a large qty of a handful of specific ships. It will cost me $80 ea. time time buy Fleet Captains when there are only about 6 ships in there I want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the ships should fit on fine. I'm not sure where you're getting all the Clix bases, though. There's a Clix -> Attack Wing model on Thingiverse, but I can't imagine how to do the reverse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Mullineaux
United States
Fridley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check Minature Market and search Star Trek Heroclix, chances are the ones you want are painted and super cheap.

Did this for mine, bases and named so easy to see at glance.

Ended up snapping them for Attack Wing but went this path for Fleet Captains first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McLaury
United States
Cocoa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Trek: Tactics (i.e. Heroclix) is definitely the way to go for most of the models, not only are they cheaper than Attack Wing, but the Federation ships have the names and registry numbers printed on the hulls, which is a nice perk, and since they're already attached to Clix bases with the correct names and factions, you can just pry open the base, put a sticker with the Fleet Captains-appropriate info in, and seal it back up and it's ready to play.

There are a few exceptions of ships that are actually quite expensive in Heroclix form, though:

-Enterprise-E. This is the single most expensive Star Trek: Tactics miniature out there. The only cost-effective substitute here is the Attack Wing version.
-Enterprise-A. Again, the Attack Wing version is the cheapest available version of this model. If you're willing to stretch it to be the original Enterprise, instead of the A, that's available as a gorgeous yet inexpensive Micro Machine.
-Prometheus. The Attack Wing version is the winner for price on this one.
-The Venture (Galaxy-class) tends to run roughly the cost of an Attack Wing expansion, so that one goes either way, but there are cheaper Galaxy-class Micro Machines - though, obviously, with the Enterprise-D markings.
-Klingons don't have a single ship that costs more in Tactics form, all Klingon Heroclix tend to be very cheap and easy to find.
-If you're playing Romulans, the Valdore is probably going to cost more as a Heroclix than the I.R.W. Vrax Attack Wing expansion. And, for once, the Attack Wing version is a better looking model for that one.
-Dominion is where it gets very shaky, because all the Jem'Hadar models are surprisingly expensive. Honestly, the unpainted purple Jem'Hadar miniatures don't look all that different from the painted versions, so in this case I'd just get the actual box, and then supplement with the 2 Galors, the Keldon, and the Breen ship from the Heroclix line because those are quite cheap and look really out of place in purple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.