United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Rules | Cards (Color) | Cards (B&W)
"Flower Power" Set coming soon...

Raindrops is a family dexterity game for two to four players. Players drop rain drops (blue glass beads) onto their flowers in the field so they'll grow large enough to pluck. The first player to pluck 5 flowers is the winner!

Players: 2-4
Playtime: 10-15 minutes
Categories: Dexterity, Best Card Game
Features: Friendly theme, simultaneous play, math involved, easy score tracking, unique dexterity mechanics.

Components: 36 cards, ~48 glass beads, 4 rubber bands, yarn

This is an entry for the 2015 Children's Game Print and Play Design Contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [Idea Phase] Raindrops - Family dexterity game {2015 Children's Game PnP Design Contest}
Archived: Cards v1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [Idea Phase] Raindrops - Family dexterity game {2015 Children's Game PnP Design Contest}

This is a very simple low ink prototype of some of the flower cards.

Every card back is a seedling.

When a player lands a raindrop bead on a seedling, they flip it over to reveal the flower.
When a player lands a raindrop bead on a flower, they "pluck" it from the field and remove it from play (to be scored).

All seedlings grant the player 1 raindrop bead per seedling. By default, flowers grant the player 2 raindrop beads per flower but some flowers offer more or less.

For example, the Rain Lily grants 3 rain drop beads while the Sunflower doesn't grant any!

Normally, it takes just 1 raindrop bead to land on a card to either flip it (seedling), and pluck it (flower). But, the Lotus requires two raindrop beads to land on it on the same turn for it to be plucked!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cloud Height Measurer

The little ones' hands will act as a cloud, pouring out the rain drops. But at what altitude?

The height measurer is a tool for children to accurately determine how high up they should be dropping their beads. It fits on their wrist and drapes down to the ground to ensure that they always drop the beads from the correct height.

To make them, you will first need rubber bands (big enough to fit around the wrist) and (preferably blue) yarn. Tie the yarn to the rubber band.
Then, cut the yarn to a length of 12 inches (from where it ties onto the rubber band). That's it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat ideas for a game. I like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

You may have also noticed the game calls for 4 white snowflake beads.

This is for the snowdrop flower that grants 1 snowflake and 1 rain drop.
If the snowflake bead lands on a flower, the flower freezes and is flipped back to its seedling side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [Alpha Playtesting] Raindrops - Family dexterity game {2015 Children's Game PnP Design Contest}
Welcome to the contest! Dexterity games like this have been a big hit with my kids. I look forward to trying it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [Playtest Ready] Raindrops - Family dexterity game {2015 Children's Game PnP Design Contest}
Added the low ink cards to the OP.

Print a copy of the cards file for each play tester.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Lara
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice Theme
What a nice little game! A simple design which kids and adults can grasp very easily. I LIKE it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [Playtest Ready] Raindrops - Family dexterity game {2015 Children's Game PnP Design Contest}
So right now the game as 4/9 flowers with text. And 2/9 flowers have no text but have a different number of rain drops.

I had thought about replacing the Tulip with:

What do you think? Is this too fiddly to keep track off? How do you feel about the other current powers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JewellGames wrote:
What do you think? Is this too fiddly to keep track off? How do you feel about the other current powers?

I was thinking about using the game without the powers for younger children so I did not look at them whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
courtjus wrote:
JewellGames wrote:

I was thinking about using the game without the powers for younger children so I did not look at them whistle

Its funny you mention that because I had considered adding a note in the flower card section to mention, "For younger or beginner players, ignore all card text and powers."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also for testing I just have 1 sheet of 9 flowers that you reprint for each play tester. This makes it very easy to print out and test but that also means there are 4 copies of the 9 flower in 4 player games.

In reality, there will probably be 7 x3 copies of the special flowers and 5 x3 of regular flowers for 12 flower types, so the flower distribution will be slightly different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
JewellGames wrote:
Depends - do you always gain one raindrop if you hold that flower, or is it a temporary ability? Because if it is always, that would be slightly easier to keep track of, as long as you remembered it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes its an ongoing permanent affect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Cards file has been updated (the old version of the cards is archived in the second post of this thread).

1) I replaced the Tulip with the Dead Nettle so it can be playtested.

2) I improved the wording on the Rose and Iris.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [Playtest Ready] Raindrops - Drop glass beads dexterity game {2015 Children's Game PnP Design Contest}
I may be playing around with the flowers, their powers and card distribution over the weekend.

I don't want to make the game too complex or advanced but the text technically can be ignored for easier play.

Also, I want to playtest every effect I can to determine which ones are worth it and which ones aren't.

Like instead of the Rose (with implied thorns) having its current power, thistle may be used for that power instead.

Fun fact: Hundreds of years ago, when Vikings invaded Scotland, they were slowed by patches of wild thistle, allowing the Scots time to escape. Because of this, the wild thistle was named Scotland’s national flower.

Since in 17th Century Holland, Tulip bulbs were more valuable than gold. So, there may only be only 1 in the set of 36 and its worth 2 plucked flower toward your score.

I am not sure if there is a more appropriate flower for dead nettle's current power.

Orchids don't do so well when over watered. So, if more than 1 raindrop lands on the orchid, it cannot be plucked that turn.

Do you have any other ideas?

I will update the cards with a new alternate version this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [Playtest Ready] Raindrops - Drop glass beads dexterity game {2015 Children's Game PnP Design Contest}
JewellGames wrote:
Thanks!

If the snowflake bead lands on a flower, the flower freezes and is flipped back to its seedling side.
Neat.

Have you thought about making the snowflakes paper tokens, so they flutter down to the table instead of just drop?

I really like the tactile nature of the mechanics for this game, and the way you actually drop things to represent falling drops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aarontu wrote:
JewellGames wrote:
Thanks!

Neat.

Have you thought about making the snowflakes paper tokens, so they flutter down to the table instead of just drop?

I really like the tactile nature of the mechanics for this game, and the way you actually drop things to represent falling drops.

I like that idea for PnP, they'd probably be the size of a nickel then and have to be careful not to get crunched in the pile of drops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tentative redistribution.

Playtesters can print all 36 cards (both sets) or just the regular flower set for beginners and novices or all flowers with powers set for fun.

Here is current table:

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still keeping a low ink, low art prototype but changing the graphic a little. What do you think of the change so far? would a green (blue for the two water flowers) divider line look better?

Still looking for a snowdrop flower icon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Version 2 with grass/water divider and no dashed border:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New card that replaces the 3rd rain lily (so only 1 copy in the set).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the low ink cardback, I think I will use the dashed border to quickly distinguish the seedlings from flowers.

Unless someone has a better idea for the seedling card back side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowdrop:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |