Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone,

I got the expansion now and the rulebook is as expected thankfully very simple, but there's one passage I just don't get:

Quote:
This expansion introduces a new mechanic: “advance the active
Mystery.” Due to the complexity of Mysteries, this can result in
a number of different effects. When investigators are instructed
to advance the active Mystery, the active investigator resolves
one of the following effects that applies:

[...]

If the active Mystery requires an investigator to spend one
or more Clues, place one Clue from the Clue pool on the
card. Any investigator may spend Clues placed on the active
Mystery when resolving an effect of that card.

I have read the highlighted sentence 3 times both in English and German, but I can't make any sense of it. Make it's because I have not played the expansion yet, but I can't figure out what the book is trying to tell me here. Does it mean that 1 clue comes "for free" from the pool at first while the other players can as a collective then also still add clues from their own inventories ? I don't get it.

Interesting. This must be how Mark Harrigan feels at taking lore tests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the mystery requires you to spend clues for an effect, you may spend the one you placed on the active mystery. If it requires you to put clues on the mystery, you just need one less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Somebody who thinks that feathers on dinosaurs would suddenly make them not-scary has never been chased by a goose.
mb
I was playing just last night and had to reference and reread that section of the rulebook several times to understand its intent.

iswearihaveajob wrote:
If the mystery requires you to spend clues for an effect, you may spend the one you placed on the active mystery
I've played the game so many times, but can't remember when such a situation occurred. Example?

In my game last night, the mystery in question was Ithaca's Supplying the North.
Investigators have to spend a clue and discard a Provisions unique asset to place an Eldritch token on the the Mystery’s card.
Should they have only discarded the Provisions card to place the Eldritch token or just taken an Eldritch Token from the pool without discarding the Provision?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You woul place a token in that case. An example would be the serpent crown, which requires you to spend 2 clues and discard some stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Somebody who thinks that feathers on dinosaurs would suddenly make them not-scary has never been chased by a goose.
mb
iswearihaveajob wrote:
You woul place a token in that case. An example would be the serpent crown, which requires you to spend 2 clues and discard some stuff.

Ah, right. Allies, if I recall.
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, but I still don't get it. Maybe it's because it has been some time since I last played this game or maybe because I have not played this expansion yet, but an example would be much appreciated.

It's usually the goal to place tokens on the active Mystery card, why would I "spend" one already placed there ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the Voice of Azathoth mystery from Forsaken Lore:

Quote:
When an investigator would gain an Artifact, he may gain the Masa di Requiem per Shuggay Artifact instead.

At the end of the Mythos phase, an investigator may spend Clues equal to
and discard the Masa di Requiem per Shuggay Artifact to solve this Mystery.

Say you have 6 players, so you need to spend 6 Clues to solve the Mystery. If you advance the Mystery, you put a Clue on the Mystery card. Now you can spend the Clue on the card plus 5 Clues in your possession to solve the Mystery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GregF wrote:
Here's the Voice of Azathoth mystery from Forsaken Lore:

Quote:
When an investigator would gain an Artifact, he may gain the Masa di Requiem per Shuggay Artifact instead.

At the end of the Mythos phase, an investigator may spend Clues equal to
and discard the Masa di Requiem per Shuggay Artifact to solve this Mystery.

Say you have 6 players, so you need to spend 6 Clues to solve the Mystery. If you advance the Mystery, you put a Clue on the Mystery card. Now you can spend the Clue on the card plus 5 Clues in your possession to solve the Mystery.

Thank you !
So just to be sure: "advance the active mystery" here banks up tokens (from the general token pool) on the active Mystery for later use, when an investigator pays with his/her own tokens -- it's pretty much creating a supporting token reserve for later use, right ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyur wrote:
So just to be sure: "advance the active mystery" here banks up tokens (from the general token pool) on the active Mystery for later use, when an investigator pays with his/her own tokens -- it's pretty much creating a supporting token reserve for later use, right ?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you got it, but just to clarify even further, there are two types of mysteries that involve clues.

The first, which you seem familiar with, has investigators spend clues throughout the course of multiple turns. For instance, it may say "When you close a gate, you may spend a clue to place that clue on this mystery. Solve this mystery when there are clues equal to the number of investigators on this card"

The second type of mystery takes a slightly different form. It may say (and I'm just making this up because I don't have any cards on me) "An investigator on space 15 may resolve a Strength test instead of a regular encounter. If the test is passed, that investigator may spend clues equal to the number of investigators to solve this mystery." Note that the clues are not normally placed on the mystery card, they are simply spent as if you were trying for a reroll.

In that second example, a clue placed on the mystery card is meaningless unless there is a way to spend that clue, hence the added verbiage in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jindianajonz wrote:
It sounds like you got it, but just to clarify even further, there are two types of mysteries that involve clues.

The first, which you seem familiar with, has investigators spend clues throughout the course of multiple turns. For instance, it may say "When you close a gate, you may spend a clue to place that clue on this mystery. Solve this mystery when there are clues equal to the number of investigators on this card"

The second type of mystery takes a slightly different form. It may say (and I'm just making this up because I don't have any cards on me) "An investigator on space 15 may resolve a Strength test instead of a regular encounter. If the test is passed, that investigator may spend clues equal to the number of investigators to solve this mystery." Note that the clues are not normally placed on the mystery card, they are simply spent as if you were trying for a reroll.

In that second example, a clue placed on the mystery card is meaningless unless there is a way to spend that clue, hence the added verbiage in the rules.

Interesting.

I see the difference now and while I am pretty sure that I played this correctly in the past, I never really gave it a second thought. That's maybe the reason why I got so confused, as the new "advance the active Mystery" mechanism really shows the big difference now.

Thank you, much appreciated !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zar Ko
msg tools
Last night I played the expansion and it was awesome. Rules about advancing mystery were a bit two sided for me. It says to put a token from a gate, clue or monster token pool to advance the mystery but it does say that other thing. What do you do in a situation when the active mystery is from the Elder Things that says when you resolve otherworld encounter you must pay a clue to put that gate on the active mystery? Do you put a gate from the gate stack or just a clue to spend when you close the gate? Because advancing the mystery by 1, to me at least, is doing 1 thing less, or should I say, put 1 thing less on the active mystery. I hope someone will understand my question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
Zarec89 wrote:
Last night I played the expansion and it was awesome. Rules about advancing mystery were a bit two sided for me. It says to put a token from a gate, clue or monster token pool to advance the mystery but it does say that other thing. What do you do in a situation when the active mystery is from the Elder Things that says when you resolve otherworld encounter you must pay a clue to put that gate on the active mystery? Do you put a gate from the gate stack or just a clue to spend when you close the gate? Because advancing the mystery by 1, to me at least, is doing 1 thing less, or should I say, put 1 thing less on the active mystery. I hope someone will understand my question.

You have the right of it. You would put one gate from the stack on the Mystery. The bit about adding clues and spending them later is for "spend an Artifact plus X clues"-style Mysteries (eg Serpent Crown), where you can't really make a single discrete unit of advancement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zar Ko
msg tools
rsdockery wrote:
Zarec89 wrote:

You have the right of it. You would put one gate from the stack on the Mystery. The bit about adding clues and spending them later is for "spend an Artifact plus X clues"-style Mysteries (eg Serpent Crown), where you can't really make a single discrete unit of advancement.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.