Subject: rules question about the depth track ...... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb
my friend boughtthe game on KS , but he lives in another city 75 miles north of me , and doesnt have a good gaming community up there to play with , so he comes to town to play games every other week or so .

usually when he comes its for a tourny like X-wing or WH40k . the only chance he has to play this game is when he and i meet up , but we also have other games we like to play together so this one hasnt seen a lot of play yet .

so far we have played it 5 times , and only today did we actually get all the way to the end of finding the second clue and fight the end monster .

but it raised a question . when you get thesecond clue , does the descent track STOP , or do you still test to see if the darkness escapes ? as far as we could find in the rules the track keeps going , but the rules also say that the growing dread cards must take effect BEFORE the end reveal , and if you still keep rolling for the depth track , its possible to gain more growing dread cards AFTER the reveal .

so do we keep rolling for it , or does it just stop once we reveal the last bad guy ? and where is that in the rules ?

thnx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Robinson
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep rolling! You will need to resolve the growing dread cards as you get them after the final battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai B
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes keep rolling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Harrison
United States
Riverton
NJ
flag msg tools
Yep, keep rolling. And remember to keep rolling every round during a fight, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Parker
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, it is very common to loose during an Epic fight due to the darkness escaping.. that damn darkness!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb
thnx for the answers guys , but i have a new question then .......

ok , so if we do it your way , then we can still lose durring the epic monster fight (which is fine) , but does that mean we just stop and pull our figures right then and there ? or do we keep fighting and see how it ends , wich could result in more wounds and possibly a death of a character depending on the outcome ?

my logic would be that we keep fighting to see the outcome as it makes no sense to just have everyone suddenly pulled out .

so what say ye ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I see it, it isn't so much that you are pulled out but more like there is a huge explosion as the Darkness overtakes the land, then you wake up in the abandoned tunnels a bleeding mess and stagger out to see the monsters rampaging through what's left of town...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't recall if there is a rule on that in the book. If not, I think it's up to you. There is a rule about fleeing (i.e. leaving the mine prior to the resolution of the mission) if you are too beat up to continue. I don't have my book in front of me, but I suspect there may be limitations on fleeing mid-Fight.

I'd probably see it through in that situation though. You don't get whatever the reward is for successful completion of the scenario, but you still get the satisfaction of beating the big fight. There will still be some consequence at the next town visit as well, but at least you got the XP and loot from that last fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Harrison
United States
Riverton
NJ
flag msg tools
Losing a mission is sort of an abstraction, just like a total posse KO is abstracted.

When you lose a mission, play stops and you suffer the consequences of losing a mission (if any).

Nobody is going to hold a gun to your head and force you to not play out the last fight. The thing is, What do you do about the darkness? It's already overwhelmed everything, but there's no game effect for that. And you don't need to hold back the darkness anymore because there's no holding it back. And both that roll and the darkness track itself have very specific game effects (Depth events, darkness cards, growing dread cards).

So, just recognize that if you're playing that fight out, mechanically you are acting as though you are automatically succeeding the hold back the darkness roll every round (no darkness movement= no new darkness cards or GD cards), and that that roll is not a double (which would trigger a depth event).

It's not really a big deal, it just feels clunky to me. But, at your table, if you want to do it, go for it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik K.
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I hadn't considered the idea of continuing to play after the mission is "lost," but it does present some interesting possibilities.
I can imagine this being of interest if players just want a "slugfest" of an encounter. Perhaps playing "one off" characters with no intention of leveling up. Or even, the game being over too soon and not wanting to start a fresh scenario. (The last instance has occurred to me on a few occasions. The game went quick and we have an extra half hour to play, but not enough time to start a new game entirely.)

bjorn2bwild wrote:

The thing is, What do you do about the darkness? It's already overwhelmed everything, but there's no game effect for that. And you don't need to hold back the darkness anymore because there's no holding it back. And both that roll and the darkness track itself have very specific game effects (Depth events, darkness cards, growing dread cards).
So, just recognize that if you're playing that fight out, mechanically you are acting as though you are automatically succeeding the hold back the darkness roll every round (no darkness movement= no new darkness cards or GD cards), and that that roll is not a double (which would trigger a depth event).

My immediate thought on this is to "reset" the Darkness to the bottom of the mine again. This way the players would maintain the progression of Depth Events, Darkness events, and Growing Dread.
Furthermore, since it is the depth of the posse that determines the Hold Back The Darkness target number (and odds are the posse has gotten quite deep in the mine/otherword), continuing to play will likely result in even more failed rolls, meaning that the Darkness will progress faster, which will equate to more Darkness and Growing Dread cards being pulled. Intuitively, it feels like the longer you play, the worse off things will get. (The more I think about it, the more I might like to experiment with this!)

Regardless, whether one continues to play after the scenario is already lost, the end condition would still be a defeat, but I guess there is something to be said for "going down fighting" instead of just calling it quits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Moreau
France
Antony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I was to continue playing after the Darkness has escaped, I think I agree with this :

mister_elk wrote:
My immediate thought on this is to "reset" the Darkness to the bottom of the mine again.

I would also draw some Darkness cards (3 ?) to represent the fact that Darkness has escaped, and that makes the current fight more difficult

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandInquisitorKris wrote:
thnx for the answers guys , but i have a new question then .......

ok , so if we do it your way , then we can still lose durring the epic monster fight (which is fine) , but does that mean we just stop and pull our figures right then and there ?

Yes. Heroes are considered to escape upon failure of the Mission.

Which makes sense since once you've lost the mission the penalty for Running Away (Core Rules p13) no longer applies.

Snardo wrote:
I don't have my book in front of me, but I suspect there may be limitations on fleeing mid-Fight.

At the beginning of any round if all non KO'd players agree you can flee and fail the Mission. Which would imply fighting on only one more round at most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Targanth Phelandir
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A tack on question to the original post.

So darkness has escaped the mine and we failed. If we succeeded, we would heal wounds, collect rewards and head to town.

From what I've read, the penalty it that the town has been affected since the darkness escaped.
When we fail, do non-KO'd figures still recover all wounds/sanity, and reach the town at full health?
What happens to KO'd figures? Do they also fully recover?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Targanth wrote:
A tack on question to the original post.

So darkness has escaped the mine and we failed. If we succeeded, we would heal wounds, collect rewards and head to town.

From what I've read, the penalty it that the town has been affected since the darkness escaped.
When we fail, do non-KO'd figures still recover all wounds/sanity, and reach the town at full health?
What happens to KO'd figures? Do they also fully recover?

Healing is not part of the town visit in the rules, rather it is automatic after the adventure(pass or fail). The big penalty is there is no town visit to replenish supplies, remove corruption, heal injuries/madness. However, I think it is only some of the missions that have drastic failure penalties. A few penalties are to remove a location for the next town visit.

KO'd figures would be healed, but you still have to roll for madness/mutation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Targanth Phelandir
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks much! The rules go into detail with what happens when you succeed, but not so much when the mission fails. But I know that just because I couldn't find it mentioned does not mean it wasn't hiding there somewhere in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.