18OE: On the Rails of the Orient Express» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ferries and Port Authorities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glen Pearce
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is the usage of a ferry considered a sea crossing, and if so would it not be subject to the reduction benefit of owning a Port Authority? I ask because in the rules it specifically states that PAs affect the cost of laying track and tokens across ferries, but does not say the same thing for running trains.

This needs to be completely clarified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Heichert
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing as how I prompted this question, I should clarify how I reached my conclusions:

Sea crossings are defined in 11.3.4 as involving sea zones - note that the first sentence says trains may cross water by ferries OR sea crossings. Therefore, the conclusion that ferries are not sea crossings is fairly firm. This is bolstered by the fact that ferries have their own separate rule section.

11.3.5 on Port Authorities mentions a discount for sea crossings, but says nothing about ferries. It calls out the discounts for cross-water tracks and tokens specifically as well so the omission of ferries is unlikely to be an oversight.

Finally, 11.3.7 on ferries covers discounts in the second paragraph. It specifically mentions tokens adjacent to ferries (which give "the same benefit as a port token does for sea crossings," further reinforcing that ferries are not sea crossings) and the abilities of privates and minors, but makes no mention of port authorities.

Put together, the rules seem fairly clear that port authorities do not provide a discount to ferry crossings. If this was not the intent, then something needs to be changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Frazier
United States
Amelia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snakester2255 wrote:
Seeing as how I prompted this question, I should clarify how I reached my conclusions:

Sea crossings are defined in 11.3.4 as involving sea zones - note that the first sentence says trains may cross water by ferries OR sea crossings. Therefore, the conclusion that ferries are not sea crossings is fairly firm. This is bolstered by the fact that ferries have their own separate rule section.

11.3.5 on Port Authorities mentions a discount for sea crossings, but says nothing about ferries. It calls out the discounts for cross-water tracks and tokens specifically as well so the omission of ferries is unlikely to be an oversight.

Finally, 11.3.7 on ferries covers discounts in the second paragraph. It specifically mentions tokens adjacent to ferries (which give "the same benefit as a port token does for sea crossings," further reinforcing that ferries are not sea crossings) and the abilities of privates and minors, but makes no mention of port authorities.

Put together, the rules seem fairly clear that port authorities do not provide a discount to ferry crossings. If this was not the intent, then something needs to be changed.

Jake, I can see where your interpretation makes sense - it's 11.3.7 that appears to seal the deal. However, that paragraph omits mention of port authorities when it shouldn't. I'll make a note of that and be sure it gets into the FAQ.

Bottom line - port authorities can be used to discount ferries. Consider the 2nd sentence to read:

The abilities of privates, minors and port authorities that reduce city limits for sea crossings also provide reduction of ferry numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Stephenson
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I do not run and hide... I strategically maneuver.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ganraeln wrote:
Bottom line - port authorities can be used to discount ferries.

Wow...news to me. I have played this game more than a dozen times, and I'm still learning these little details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Pearce
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As am I, as we all should. This game is fascinating (at least to me...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.