Dani Demarest
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
(This session report was an experiment for myself that attempts to tell an interesting story based on the cards drawn throughout the game. It is not a play-by-play report with dice roll results. I have omitted a few instances where it did not make sense to the story i.e. failed attempts at checks for an item, but have mostly kept the events during this session intact to challenge myself into weaving a story around it all. The next time I do this I will challenge myself to not omit anything at all that happens during the game. I also rushed a bit at the end, and I realize that's the worst place to rush it, so next time I will strive for better reader immersion the whole way through. Hope this is enjoyable!)

Episode 1 Pathfinder Adventure Card Game Wrath of the Righteous
Adventure: Into the Worldwound
Scenario: The Elven Entanglement

It's a hot day outside, so I'm inside with air conditioning, and sipping an iced coffee (and by "iced coffee" I mean a pre-packaged coffee drink in a glass that's labeled "iced coffee" despite there not being any ice at all in the drink). But truly, all good adventurers need a shot of caffeine before going on any excursion, so here we go! *Gulp, gulp, gulp*

And I just spilled on myself.

Ok, now that's taken care of...here we go again!

I have my small team of adventurers today - Imrijka, the Half-Orc Inquisitor, Adowyn, the Human Hunter, and Enora, the Halfling Arcanist. We're taking on the Elven Entanglement (sounds like a cheerful place, right?), and searching for the demon Fihralaz.

Imrijka goes first, and she leads the way into the Watchtower. Hopefully she'll find some solid armor there.

Cecilla the Uprooter joins her! "I hear you're trying to change things around here. Changing for the better. I'd like to be a part of that if I can." Suddenly, a Giant Cockroach skitters out of a dark corner! "Stand aside, Cecilla, I can take it on!" She pulls out her Mace and swings it at the Giant Cockroach landing on it's head with a dull crunch. The cockroach twitches its legs once, twice, then slumps to the ground. Imrijka concentrates and casts her spell "Detect Demon", attempting to discover what lies ahead. A sword! She charges ahead, but looses sight of it. "It was right here...wasn't it? Help me look for it!" But it's gone.

Adowyn joins them in the Watchtower. She finds a Knife called Swordbreaker, but stirs up a Giant Cockroach in the process. Another one follows closely after the first, attacking Imrijka first, who quickly disposes of it. Adowyn bludgeons the other with her Aklys. She grabs Swordbreaker and continues onward. She discovers a Caravan Guard huddling in a corner. "You have a shirt, yes? A strong shirt? Will protect you? An armored leather shirt?" "Yes, I have one." He thrusts his hands at her, his eyes wild, "Keep it safe, keep it secure! Bury it!" He's mad, of course, but she obliges. Satisfied, he agrees to join them.

“You two been having fun without me?" Enora waltzes into the Watchtower, robes swinging around her. She smiles up at them, then steps in front, her face shifting into one of concentration. Suddenly the ground bursts apart, and long slimy arms reach out to grab them. "It's a trap!" Enora's hands grab the tentacle around her, and lightening bursts from them. The smell of something foul burning fills the air, and the creature releases her, plumes of smoke filling the air. "Let's get out of here!"

They all turn, and run toward the entrance, pulling the giant doors shut. Enora looks down, and sees a Sickle lying in the grass. She grabs it and puts it on her belt. "This should come in handy." Imrijka grunts at her. "It's half as big as you are! You'll never be able to use it." "Well, if that's your way of asking for it, you need some lessons in basic conversation." Imrijka smirks at her, her eyes twinkling. "Whatever, little witch. I'm going into that Dark Forest over there."

Just as she walks under the tree canopy, she spots a Worm Demon, huddled over something. It sniffs the air and turns to her. It's face splits and it groans a deep, wet sound. Cecilla steps in, "Go, it's too strong! Don't worry about me, Friend!" Imrijka frowns, then nods at Cecilla, and runs down the path out of sight of the creature.

Adowyn quickly joins her. "Where is-" But Imrijka shakes her head, and they both grown silent for a moment. The ground erupts again, and the same slimy tentacles grab Adowyn's leg. She grabs Swordbreaker, and begins to slash at the creature. The Caravan Guard jumps in to help her. They hack at the beast, slicing it apart, until it collapses in a bloody heap. Adowyn glances around, then grins wildly at Imrijka, her face covered in the creature's mess. "Let's get this Forest closed."

Enora sits on a rock, clasping the giant sickle in her hands. "I can't wield it, can I?" She stands, holding it in both of her hands, and swings it around. "Hah! Look at this, Imrijka. I'm wielding it right now!" She lowers it and frowns. "It is pretty heavy, though." She glances to her right. The sky has darkened to a deep purple-red, and black clouds rest heavy on the horizon. "Looks like my kind of place."

Soon after stepping into the Wounded Lands, the ground opens up. "Not again!" Long tentacles reach for her. "I thought I killed you!" She slices at the creature with the sickle. The tentacle slices right in two. Enora's eyes grow wide, and her face splits into a grin. "Ha! Take that, Imrijka! I told you I could wield it!"

"What's that?" Imrijka is walking toward her, Adowyn right behind her. "Imrijka, you missed it! I was attacked by one of those Tangled things, and I killed it! With this! Sliced it right in two!" Imrijka smiled down at her "Good job, little witch." She looked around at the darkening sky. "We need to do this job quickly. We might be running out of time. There's a cemetery around here somewhere. Let's go check it over."

They discover a Mace and defeat a Ghost before coming face to face with a Cambion. He leers at them, but Imrijka swings her mace into his red face, and tosses Caltrops under him. He stumbles forward, hands covering his face, and falls onto the Caltrops, screaming in pain as they pierce him in a number of places. He quiets and lays still, only the sound of his labored breathing filling the air. His fingers twitched at the women, then still. Imrijka spits on the corpse.

They only have a moment of relief before a Zombie crawls toward them, screeching. Adowyn charges at the creature, swinging her Aklys at it. It collapses into a heap, and she kicks at the body. "Thought you would be a little stronger than that."

After Imrijka destroys a Vescavor Swarm, and seal the Cemetery, the adventurers turn toward the Abyssal River. "It's there, isn't it" Enora asks. "Fihralaz must be there somewhere." Imrijka nods. "Let's go, ladies! We've got him cornered!"

They fight their way past Bunyips and Dire Rats, until finally uncovering Fihralaz, a giant hulking demon covered in moss. "I've got him!" Enora shouts to the others, but before she can attack, two Demonlings rise up and attack Imrijka and Adowyn. They attack in kind, holding nothing back. "Now's your chance!" Adowyn cries out. Enora turns to Fihralaz, and frowns at it, her eyes glowing with the force of her Fiery Glare. Flares rip from her eyes and shoot the demon in it's chest coming out the other side. It cries, collapses, and dies. She blinks, stunned. “I did it? I did it!” Imrijka claps her on the shoulder. “Well done, little witch. Drinks are on Adowyn.” Adowyn scoffs and rolls her eyes. “Well then, let’s get going. I’m tired and thirsty, and those drinks aren’t going to drink themselves.”

As sessions go, this was was pretty smooth! I got really lucky! I didn’t run into any huge problems, and the Villian just happened to be in the last location so I didn't have to keep chasing him around. I thought this was going to be a really hard session when I was setting up the game, but the dice all seemed to roll in my favor.

Until next time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike rona
msg tools
Loved this =) keep it up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Me rocking out with my band, which you can hear at www.raindriver.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to ruin a good session report, but it sounds like you mistook Tangle Traps for a Henchman that lets you close a location. It doesn't, you have to wipe all the cards at a location to close it if that's the Small Bad.

Yeah, it's a crazy tough scenario. I've lost it ten times, losing a character every time. I finally just skipped it. Far too dependent on luck.

That said, fun report!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcooley wrote:
I hate to ruin a good session report, but it sounds like you mistook Tangle Traps for a Henchman that lets you close a location. It doesn't, you have to wipe all the cards at a location to close it if that's the Small Bad.

For what it's worth, the cohort Vinst was errataed to allow a character to close a location after defeating a Tangle Trap. But the scenario is still difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.