Popular Tags: [View All]
B. de Groot
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

What's the experience with printed dice here?

Especially how they cope with being shaken and rolled around with other printed dice over the years: do the prints hold up or slowly fade away?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no expert but it depends on the printing method and protective coating applied afterwards I believe.

There were concerns about the printed dice in Roll for the Galaxy so Wei-Hwa Huang's wife ran them in a rock tumbler for 90 mins and there have been very few reports of any wear to the dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Molded dice are more expensive.

Printed dice will survive a long long time.

BUT

This is absolutely dependent on the quality of the work. Lower quality, shorter life span.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. de Groot
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, so: how does one decide on and then check the required quality?

Btw, played of lot of RftG, great game.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there is a way outside of rolling the dice to test them. I'll take for instance the dice in Heroscape. They are printed with red and blue symbols on them but after a lot of rolls I have seen players whose dice have almost completely lost the symbols. This is due to handling and of course poor quality. Etched or recessed areas will last longer because the areas that have the symbol or ink aren't being touched.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some players also sweat acid like an alien. goo Which can wear off your dice too.

As for how to tell. Some companies will send you samples of their work on request. Past that it takes research to see if anyone who has used their product before has commented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.