Walther Gerdts
Germany
Hamburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What’s new?
SALSA (Latin for “salted”) adds three new elements to the game, altogether in a game box:
- Two new maps BYZANTIUM and HISPANIA.
- Wooden bits and cardboard cities for a new commodity SALT:
- 27 FORUM cards for more variety of strategies.
Combine them as you wish: You could for instance combine salt cities and Forum cards with the BRITANNIA map. You may play ITALIA with Forum cards, but without salt cities. It is even possible to play the new BYZANTIUM map without salt and cards at all.
My recommendation: Take them all! You will experience Concordia on a more varied, more vivid, and more spicy level than ever before.

Salt is a wildcard and may replace any other commodity. You already start with one unit of salt in your storehouse for a more flexible start.

Many ancient persons walk around inside the Roman Forum, eagerly awaiting your call for duty. They are represented by 27 Forum cards, all of them individual, and printed on thick cardboard. These cards kindly help you to perform your common actions in a much better way. There are 2 types of men and women waiting:
a) Patricians, which will stay at your side for the rest of the game. They give you permanent special abilities. You could for instance build houses at lower cost, spread out your colonists at greater speed, trade with 3 types of goods instead of only 2, use foreign colonists on occupied routes, get a discount with the Senator action, expand your storage capacity of goods, use your prefects as diplomats, and so on.
b) Ordinary Citizen, which will return to stack after being used once. They will push you in the right way at the right time. You could for instance collect tribute from your provinces if you desperately need money, convert goods into salt units to help the Senator, build inside a certain city without paying any money if it’s awfully expensive there, purchase food for half the price, travel around with your colonists, and so on.

As you already start with one Patrician, you should adapt your strategy to his abilities right away. More Forum cards are gained whenever you perform the TRIBUNE action. The more cards the Tribune puts back to your hand, the more Forum cards you can choose from.

The interesting thing about it: All players start with different abilities. Maybe you can build houses at lower cost, but one of your opponents can travel higher distances, while the other has better options to obtain cards with his SENATOR action…
Anyway, the TRIBUNE now has become one of the most interesting actions in the game. Which Forum card will you pick, which fits your strategy best? Are there any good combinations of cards? Which Forum card could push you over a certain edge right away? Will you wait for a certain card already looking at you, or could someone else snatch it away from you? SALSA is a dance around the Forum cards.

On the board, salt cities are attractive places to build. But with 1 tool plus 1 wine plus 5 sestertii, they are quite expensive. Consider that it is not only the production of salt which could help your economy to thrive. When it comes to tallying your score, again salt counts as a wildcard commodity, and may boost any of your MINERVA cards (and any of your opponent’s MINERVA cards as well!).

Even more variety and more possibilities may sound intimidating to some, especially for a game like CONCORDIA, which already offers a lot in that respect. But on the other hand, the FORUM cards help to focus on strategies early on. Some choices become less obscure, and the SENATOR has a better orientation on what to purchase. This is quite helpful, especially for less experienced players. Some newbies of CONCORDIA may feel unsure about which step to take next. FORUM cards are focus cards. They can help you to choose the direction where to go. You have the ability to walk longer distances? It is a good idea to expand rapidly! You have a boosted storage capacity? It is good idea to concentrate on production, especially of cheaper goods.

As a result, a session of CONCORDIA SALSA doesn’t necessarily take any longer as the base game. Yes, there are more possibilities and more things to consider. On the other hand, SALSA helps to focus on certain strategies, and many Forum cards speed up the game with additional resources or cheaper costs.

Last but not least, there are two new maps to play on. You may have fun colonizing the Iberian Peninsula? Or you fancy diving into the history of the East Roman Empire of Byzantium? With the latter you will find a province with even four cities, Achaea, offering the strongest provincial economy ever to be found on a CONCORDIA map.

The SALSA expansion of CONCORDIA will be on offer in Essen at the PD-Verlag booth. See you there for a spicy affair!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks awesome.

Sold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great info.

I'm wondering whether either of the new maps will be specifically for 2P (like Britannia). Has that been mentioned anywhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walther Gerdts
Germany
Hamburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nbread wrote:
This is great info.

I'm wondering whether either of the new maps will be specifically for 2P (like Britannia). Has that been mentioned anywhere?

IMPERIUM + GERMANIA 30 cities
BYZANTIUM 28 cities
ITALIA 25 cities
BRITANNIA + HISPANIA 23 cities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schema Man
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sold +1!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Dixon

Vancouver
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
This sounds terrific. Are preorders available? Who will be the U.S. distributor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blackwell
United Kingdom
Saltdean
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgameguru.co.uk, please say you will be getting vast quantities of the PD Verlag first edition in...

It's not an easy box for a mate to fly back with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Robinson
United Kingdom
Buxton
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thoroughly looking forward to this one, especially now that I know that it adds to the existing game and maps.

Salt is something that's easy to take for granted. I spent some time in Salzburg this summer and income from it was an important part of the city's development. Thank you salt for making such an amazing place!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for giving us even more for this great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sound really nice!

- It comes with a box?

- Will the previous expansion fit inside this box as well?

- What will be the Essen price?

- The patrician and citizen are language independant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PD-Verlag
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Khonnor wrote:
This sound really nice!

- It comes with a box?

1 Yes, the box will have the same size as the base game

2 Sure

3 Around 25 Euros, maybe somewhat less.

4 No, they have german text on one side and english text on the other. But there is a graphic to explain their function. After a few games you dont need the text any longer. There will also be a spanish and a german/japanese edition, but we will not have them at our booth. I´m sure there will be also other languages in the future, but that will need some time (and success).

Let me say something personal, too. I had to play a lot of test games for this expension, but they were all fun. (Well, except for the ones where I tried a hopeless extrem strategy, but that is the nature of playtesting.) For me the new possibilities that the 27 forum cards (thick card board) offer have a high replay value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurent Montpetit
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
Will the Britannia/Hispania map also be available at the PD Verlag booth?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PD-Verlag
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
atreides02 wrote:
YES
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PD-Verlag
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you meant BRITANNIA / GERMANIA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damjan Makuc
Slovenia
Idrija
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks great addition to a great game. Sold one more cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurent Montpetit
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
Quote:
I hope you meant BRITANNIA / GERMANIA

Why yes, yes I did.

Merci!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank Lamprecht wrote:
atreides02 wrote:
YES

Nice! Price? meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
red m
msg tools
what about french translation (Ystari?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilda Lirsch
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank Lamprecht wrote:
Khonnor wrote:
This sound really nice!

- It comes with a box?

1 Yes, the box will have the same size as the base game

2 Sure

3 Around 25 Euros, maybe somewhat less.

4 No, they have german text on one side and english text on the other. But there is a graphic to explain their function. After a few games you dont need the text any longer. There will also be a spanish and a german/japanese edition, but we will not have them at our booth. I´m sure there will be also other languages in the future, but that will need some time (and success).

Let me say something personal, too. I had to play a lot of test games for this expension, but they were all fun. (Well, except for the ones where I tried a hopeless extrem strategy, but that is the nature of playtesting.) For me the new possibilities that the 27 forum cards (thick card board) offer have a high replay value.
The English and German rules of Salsa have now been posted to BGG. They include complete descriptions of the 27 forum tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any confirmation on a US release? I NEED this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. @kinson
United States
Grant
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just played my first game of Concordia, and I want this expansion!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls