Subject: Campaign with all expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only own the base set right now, but if I was to go All In and buy every expansion, would it be possible to string them all together for one uber campaign, or would the sides become too powerful towards the end since they would have a chance to "grind" through the missions to get more abilities and loot?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think that would be their intent. If not right off the bat, they may bring out a campaign book later on after a few expansions have been produced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
There will only be 5 side missions played during the default campaign, out of whatever the side mission deck was constructed with. You already select a subset of side missions when you construct the side missiond deck for the campaign, and only (upto) 5 of them are played.

Adding the side missions from expansions do not add to the number of side missions played, you can just select different ones to build the side mission deck with.

With a house rule though, you could perhaps insert a few additional side missions, although that probably means that almost all class cards are then purchaseable.

Not having played the Twin Shadows 4-mission campaign yet I can't really suggest how to add that other than as side missions (the way the Twin Shadows tells you to). Possibly with some tweaks to its rewards you could play Twin Shadows and the base campaign back-to-back without giving out too many XP and credits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ath3ist wrote:
I only own the base set right now, but if I was to go All In and buy every expansion, would it be possible to string them all together for one uber campaign, or would the sides become too powerful towards the end since they would have a chance to "grind" through the missions to get more abilities and loot?

Thanks!

There is a little "runaway leader" problem in campaigns when one side wins several in a row. Making the campaign even longer could make that even worse, I think.

Someday, I imagine FFG will tackle a super-long campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
I see two problems with this approach.

The first problem is character development. If you try to string together every single mission, all the players will eventually "max out." The Rebel Players will have every card in their class decks and every equipment slot filled with optimal gear. Depending on who wins which missions, they will also have a bunch of reward card and a catalogue of allies to pick from. The Imperial Player will max out the Imperial class deck, will have a big pile of "savable" agendas, and will probably have a few reward cards and extra deployment cards. Ultimately, most of the missions won't really matter because win or lose, everyone will get enough XP to "max out" before the end - there might be an ally or some minor reward card at stake for a given mission, but there won't be a lot of tension. The characters will also have so many abilities that it will become hard to remember them and they won't be able to use any of them frequently enough to be cool (except maybe the 4xp abilities). The game is designed to let the characters grow enough to be interesting, but you'll always have to make tough choices on what abilities to choose or what equipment to buy because you'll never have everything, and winning each mission matters because it lets you get just a little bit more of this stuff. Doing 30 missions or whatever totally deflates this. I also have no idea what fully maxed out characters will do to game balance.

The other problem is with the campaign narrative. If you do every side mission, you dilute the campaign missions to the point where they hardly matter. If you also do every campaign mission, you also get rid of a major consequence of winning or losing a campaign mission if you know you'll end up doing both subsequent missions regardless. It won't leave you with a very satisfying story.

If you really want to play every side mission, why not just play through the campaign a few times, using different side missions every time? That way you can rotate the side missions and let people get a chance to explore the different characters, rather than just maxing out one to the point of absurdity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are all great replies. Thank you for all of your input on this. I am glad I asked, so I do not spoil the experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.