BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Tom Brady's suspension vacated rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Innocent until proven guilty" is still a thing. Judge vacates the 4-game suspension.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/03/us/deflategate-tom-brady-rulin...

I'm glad I picked him up in my fantasy league!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
BimmyJim wrote:
"Innocent until proven guilty" is still a thing. Judge vacates the 4-game suspension.

The crying baby gets the milk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Fucking good. Tired of hearing these losing pussies about how he cheated cause he let a little air out of the balls. Jesus, maybe if your team wasn't so suck ass and was competent enough to catch a interception every now and again or strong enough to sack this bad ass Adonis, maybe they'd actually win a game without bitching about a little air in a ball.

Just admit it, the Pats kick ass and your team sucks balls. Get over it. And all the air in the world ain't going to fix that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
It shouldn't be. Why is a court intervening in a private suspension for private behavior?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
It shouldn't be. Why is a court intervening in a private suspension for private behavior?

When you get adults playing a kid's game is a billion dollar industry, some people are going to throw a hissy fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
BimmyJim wrote:

The crying baby gets the milk.

I guess so... if you mean that every defendent who wins a court case is a crying baby who gets milk.

Do you mean that just Brady should have shut up and taken it like a man, or does that apply to everyone who feels that they have been wronged?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BimmyJim wrote:

It's not a criminal case, it's a,game fun by a company. The only reason courts were involved is a standing anxagreement between the player's unions and the league. So if you like this result, you're pro-union.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
BimmyJim wrote:

It's not a criminal case, it's a,game fun by a company. The only reason courts were involved is a standing anxagreement between the player's unions and the league. So if you like this result, you're pro-union.

There is more to unions than helping with legal matters involving suspensions/discipline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KISS THE RINGS HATERS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
or zombies or ...
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
verandi wrote:
KISS THE RINGS HATERS

Oh, I didn't know you had some, what Superbowl team were you on? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Just admit it, the Pats kick ass and your team sucks balls. Get over it. And all the air in the world ain't going to fix that.

I don't think you quite understand how the integrity of the game was damaged. Removing air from a ball so Tom could be more comfortable was obviously good for a small % gain in his favor otherwise they would not have done it. The Patriots have had a long series of this behavior and its culminated in winning.

Unfortunately they make the league a lot of money, so they will continue to be allowed to do this. I think it all hinges on how the sports books handle it. If people stop betting on Patriot games, I think the league will have to take it more seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth noting that the NFL filed their suit to be heard by the most-favorable judge they could find - and they still lost in a landslide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the No Fun League. I can't muster much care about any of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'm just thankful that no other team, ever, manipulated the air in any footballs, ever. Because the NFL is wise enough to catch the one team, ever, that in any way, shape or form, ever, tried to get a tiny advantage in a game measured in inches.

Reminds me of Lance Armstrong - "Our roided-up bicyclist is better than yours because yours got caught"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Reminds me of Lance Armstrong - "Our roided-up bicyclist is better than yours because yours got caught"

haha, another fan of Bill Burr I see.

Brady didn't really get caught... they highly suspect he was "at least generally aware" of the malicious activities, but they have no solid proof.

It's like putting a guy in jail because police "suspects" he murdered someone. "Well, we think he did it, or at least was in that general area when the murder occurred, so let's throw him in prison".

"Innocent until proven guilty" has its flaws, but it is much better than the alternative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BimmyJim wrote:
DWTripp wrote:

haha, another fan of Bill Burr I see.

Brady didn't really get caught... they highly suspect he was "at least generally aware" of the malicious activities, but they have no solid proof.

It's like putting a guy in jail because police "suspects" he murdered someone. "Well, we think he did it, or at least was in that general area when the murder occurred, so let's throw him in prison".

"Innocent until proven guilty" has its flaws, but it is much better than the alternative.

Again with the criminal law. The NFL isn't the government, no matter what ESPN tells you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:

Again with the criminal law. The NFL isn't the government, no matter what ESPN tells you.

Civil law works the same way. If you sue someone, the burden of proof falls on YOU.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BimmyJim wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

Civil law works the same way. If you sue someone, the burden of proof falls on YOU.

Well yes, but the criteria is vastly different. And Guilt or Innocence plays no part in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
The legal standard for a civil matter is 'on the preponderance of the evidence' not 'beyond a reasonable doubt'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Yeager
United States
Sykesville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"The preponderance of the evidence lies in favor of the defendant" is harder to fit on a t-shirt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
I admit it, I killed her, I killed Yvette. I hated her so much
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
The legal standard for a civil matter is 'on the preponderance of the evidence' not 'beyond a reasonable doubt'

I don't think this case was worried about the particulars of guilt or innocence, only if the NFL had the right to enforce the suspension according to the parameters of the collective bargaining agreement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.