Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing the game with 1-2 adventurers, it's not uncommon to have only one tomb level with red spawn rooms. That really nerfs the Tomb cards, in that not all of the creatures listed on the card will spawn. What do you all think about the following variant:

If the Tomb card would spawn a creature on a level that doesn't contain a red spawn room, you instead spawn the creature on the closest adjacent level that contains a red spawn room.

That way, all creatures will spawn each Tomb phase, so the party can't "game the game" by only exploring one level of the tomb.

This variant may not be needed for all scenarios, especially those that require adventurers to explore all levels. But this variant could really help the Rhaz Azul scenario.

Let me know what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
When playing the game with 1-2 adventurers, it's not uncommon to have only one tomb level with red spawn rooms. That really nerfs the Tomb cards, in that not all of the creatures listed on the card will spawn. What do you all think about the following variant:

If the Tomb card would spawn a creature on a level that doesn't contain a red spawn room, you instead spawn the creature on the closest adjacent level that contains a red spawn room.

That way, all creatures will spawn each Tomb phase, so the party can't "game the game" by only exploring one level of the tomb.

This variant may not be needed for all scenarios, especially those that require adventurers to explore all levels. But this variant could really help the Rhaz Azul scenario.

Before I fully respond, have you tried my simple setup solution of removing the center room tile with The Soul Monger on it? (Quetzalcoatl's Hall) no soul monger store and 2 less doorways on level 1?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure it would make much difference because you could still game the game. The best room buffs are on tiles that can come up on all 3 Levels, so I can explore anywhere for good stuff and have very little reason to ever go to Level 3 (at least in the scenarios that I've played). If you introduced a "spawn regardless" rule, I'd just start searching Level 1 and Level 2. Sure, it might force more Creatures out, but it would also spread those Creatures around the Tomb, giving me more time to deal with them anyway, since the room placement and exploration rules allow me to make long hallways (the majority of the tiles seem to have entrances on opposite sides) which gives me some control over where Creatures spawn and how they travel through the Tomb.

I think the real fix here is to re-design the tiles themselves to give a more random feel to the Tomb layout and force players to lower levels for better stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbatarlis wrote:
mvettemagred wrote:

Before I fully respond, have you tried my simple setup solution of removing the center room tile with The Soul Monger on it? (Quetzalcoatl's Hall) no soul monger store and 2 less doorways on level 1?

No, but it wouldn't have made a difference in my last game. I only explored twice on level 1. The first room triggered the Staff of Ra. The second room was another soul monger room (lucky, I realize). I then went downstairs to level 2 and started exploring for a way to level 3. I never found one. Instead, I found 8 trap rooms and 10 red rooms, triggered the next two scenario effects, and was ready for Rhaz when he spawned on round 6. Every explored room but two was on level 2. Since I still couldn't get to level 3, I stood on the stairs on level 2 and waited for Rhaz to come to me. Then I squished him like a scarab.

I use the tiles from Passages & Perils, which may be part of the problem, as they provide a lot more tiles for each level, making it easier to just hang out on a single level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martidem wrote:
I'm not sure it would make much difference because you could still game the game. The best room buffs are on tiles that can come up on all 3 Levels, so I can explore anywhere for good stuff and have very little reason to ever go to Level 3 (at least in the scenarios that I've played). If you introduced a "spawn regardless" rule, I'd just start searching Level 1 and Level 2. Sure, it might force more Creatures out, but it would also spread those Creatures around the Tomb, giving me more time to deal with them anyway, since the room placement and exploration rules allow me to make long hallways (the majority of the tiles seem to have entrances on opposite sides) which gives me some control over where Creatures spawn and how they travel through the Tomb.

I think the real fix here is to re-design the tiles themselves to give a more random feel to the Tomb layout and force players to lower levels for better stuff.

The other reason I was think of ensuring all of the creatures spawn is the 10 creature limit rule. If you need to spawn a non-boss creature and there are already 10 creatures in the tomb, you advance the comet track instead. For most scenarios, this is really bad. If roughly 3 creatures spawn every Tomb phase, adventurers can't as easily ignore the creatures and just keep exploring, or the comet track will get out of control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Matt!

There's a couple things in our upcoming kickstarter you're going to Love!

Just a quick sneak peak... we're doing a Kickstarter called Secrets of the Lost Tomb: The Elite Missions!

These missions are a side-plot that adds entire extra layers of difficulty.

One in particular forces creatures that have been killed to return with a cool story twist!

12 New Side-Missions will definitely add a lot to the game and overall thematic replayability!

I will post more about this in a couple days!

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.