Chimera» Forums » General

Subject: This or Haggis? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabi Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I already own Haggis but it does not get played because we find it a little dry. We love tichu. Any opinions on whether or not we should go for Chimera?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't feel much like Haggis. I don't think your reaction to Haggis will determine whether you like Chimera or not. Probably the only way to find out is to try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Gruber
Germany
M√ľnchen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just grab a standard poker deck of cards and try it out. We play Haggis with 2, Chimera with 3, and Tichu with 4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
schuay wrote:
Just grab a standard poker deck of cards and try it out. We play Haggis with 2, Chimera with 3, and Tichu with 4

This.

Chimera is a regular deck of cards with the "pi" and "chimera" cards added, which are easilly substituted by regular jokers.

The rules are online on ZMan's website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Shanowitz
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GabiGames wrote:
I already own Haggis but it does not get played because we find it a little dry. We love tichu. Any opinions on whether or not we should go for Chimera?

For me, Chimera feels a little fuller but Haggis feels a little more elegant. I like both games and haven't really played either enough to have a preference yet, except for the obvious difference that Chimera is three-player only and Haggis can play two or three.

Chimera has a team element, special cards (the Pi and Chimera), and card passing, all of which make it feel more like Tichu.

Haggis doesn't have those things, but the design seems cleaner. The card combinations are a little more standard, compared to Chimera where you can play three-of-a-kind with any single card attached or four-of-a-kind with two pairs attached. There were also some rules clarifications on the forums about disallowed combinations in Chimera that you have to keep in mind while playing.

As others have said, though, go ahead and try out Chimera with a standard deck (or with your Tichu deck). Here is a file that details how to do it easily and includes all of the rules of Chimera.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
Chimera is a regular deck of cards with the "pi" and "chimera" cards added, which are easilly substituted by regular jokers.

Or a Tichu deck minus Dog and Mahjong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest reading through the Chimera ratings comments as there are a lot of helpful comments there.

If you are a fan of Tichu and Haggis, I think you will be well pleased with Chimera. It is similar enough that you will like the type of play and different enough that it does not 'duplicate' either game.

I am also very happy to announce that Broadway Toys has published a Chinese Edition and Abbacusspiele has published a German Edition.

And, of course, after trying the game and if you like it, I hope you consider supporting it and purchasing a copy!

Best regards,
Ralph
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonCat wrote:
If you are a fan of Tichu and Haggis, I think you will be well pleased with Chimera.

That makes sense, but it doesn't help the person who likes Tichu but doesn't like Haggis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
DragonCat wrote:
If you are a fan of Tichu and Haggis, I think you will be well pleased with Chimera.

That makes sense, but it doesn't help the person who likes Tichu but doesn't like Haggis.

Very true.

I'm quite confident that most who have played all three would agree that the gameplay of Chimera feels more like Tichu than Haggis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabi Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the commments, they are helpful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Germanicus
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the person who posted the referenced file, I have to say that I love both Tichu and Chimera, but am not that much of a fan of Haggis. Just my two cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabi Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you explain why, Magister?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Germanicus
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try, Gabi, but it's been a while since I've played Haggis. Haggis is a fine two player game if you want something for two similar to Tichu, but for two players, there's no need to buy the proprietary deck as it plays perfectly well with a standard deck.

A minor issue, to be sure, but I also remember that it was quite hard to figure out how to sort one's hand... by rank, suit? I guess there's just something about Haggis's playable combinations I don't like. Quite un-Tichu like.

The dynamic also totally changes with three players, especially when one or two make a big or little bet. I much prefer Chimera's built in changeable partnership dynamic of two "hunters" trying to take down the "chimera", additionally, I love Chimera's playable card combinations! And the icing on the cake, if you're a gambling person, you can always just play the original Chinese version of the game for money (I prefer small stakes), "Fight the Landlord" / "Dou Dizhu".

To conclude, play Haggis with two players (although I'd prefer to find something else to play) and play Chimera with three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And don't forget: play Tichu with four!

Tichu and Chimera have more a freewheeling feel to them than Haggis.

Those two games allow many more different combinations than Haggis does. Tichu has full houses and multicolored straights. Chimera has all that and many more. The fact that, with Chimera, you essentially deal a Tichu deck to three players means that you are very likely to have big wild combinations in your hand (very long straights, sequences of triplets, etc.).

In contrast, Haggis allows only sets (groups at the same rank) and sequences. While the sequences can be of sets (like Tichu's consecutive pairs), each set must be of exactly the same colors (e.g., you can't play a red-green 2's followed by red-gold 3's). This makes Haggis very tight compared to the other two games.

Tichu and Chimera have some special cards (e.g., a wild card, a "beats all singles" card) that often change the way a hand plays. Haggis has wild cards, but every player starts every hand with exactly the same wild cards. In that way, games of Haggis tend (or at least appear) to resist the luck of the deal.

The great variety of hands in Tichu (and Chimera) that result from this luck is part of the appeal for many players - and also what makes others prefer Haggis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Haggis is best with 2, Chimera playable only at 3, and Tichu best with four.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clyde,

I hope you meant:

Haggis is best with 2, Chimera best with 3, and Tichu best with four. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonCat wrote:
Clyde,

I hope you meant:

Haggis is best with 2, Chimera best with 3, and Tichu best with four. devil

With 3, Chimera is undeniably better than Tichu!

Ralph and Sean can debate over which of Chimera and Haggis is better with 3!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.