chris reichl

Appleton
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My parents (Yes you heard me)recently got a Playstation 2, and I asked my mom and she said for games like Jeopardy! and Trivial Pursuit, so when we have company over we can do something like that rather than watch TV, OK, So the odd question is, why don't the game developers for the consoles develop something like boardgames for their units? It would open a whole new market instead of the Grand Theft Auto bunch. Not to mention PC game developers do adaptations of board games anyway. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: PS-2/3 Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii adaptations of board games
Xbox360 has boardgames planned

Settlers of Catan
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/puzzle/catan/index.html

Alhambra:
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/puzzle/alhambra/index.html

Carcassonne:
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/puzzle/carcassonne/index.htm...

The Wii will run old GameCube games, so the Mario Party series sounds like a good fit. Number 8 is Wii-specific:

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/puzzle/marioparty8/index.html

As for general thoughts, one thing I keep learning from this site that saddens me greatly is how small the boardgame market is compared to the video game market. A great board game can sell thousands of copies, but a bad videogame can sell hundres of thousands.

So even though the development time and cost for doing a port of a popular board game are way lower than the costs of making a new game, game companies need to make money. And they are run by very conservative people (for the most part). Sequels and tried-and-true genres are safer to make.

So when I win the lotto and make my own Eccentric Millionaire Studios, I will work to bring all the great boardgames of history to an online console. Until then, if the goal is for something to do on a family visit, your parents could get actual boardgames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Morgan
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Culdcept is a boardgame like game for the PS2
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/strategy/culdcept/news.html?sid=...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Culdcept is one of the best games of all time (I played three games of it just yesterday), but it is a CCG more than a boardgame. You couldn't just grab people and sit down to play Culdcept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
CJstratgamer wrote:
My parents (Yes you heard me)recently got a Playstation 2, and I asked my mom and she said for games like Jeopardy! and Trivial Pursuit, so when we have company over we can do something like that rather than watch TV, OK, So the odd question is, why don't the game developers for the consoles develop something like boardgames for their units? It would open a whole new market instead of the Grand Theft Auto bunch. Not to mention PC game developers do adaptations of board games anyway. Any thoughts?

as ive said on other threads on this subject. board games have been put on console and pc for over 20 years now, they dont open a huge market cause generally the only people who buy them yre the ones who enjoy the game already which generally means you own them as the board game. But you want to play them solitaire with AI. board game video games can not compete with real video games. so it really doesnt open up any market. as i said before its just board gamers who play this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osama Bin Davis wrote:

as ive said on other threads on this subject. board games have been put on console and pc for over 20 years now, they dont open a huge market cause generally the only people who buy them yre the ones who enjoy the game already which generally means you own them as the board game. But you want to play them solitaire with AI. board game video games can not compete with real video games. so it really doesnt open up any market. as i said before its just board gamers who play this!

Sorry, I still think you're wrong, for one simple reason - XBox Live.

Up until now, getting consoles on-line has been, for most people, difficult, technical, and really not worth the effort to play one or two games - which probably need you to do completely different things once you are online, create accounts with different companies etc.

XBL is easy, you do it once, everything looks the same, and there is a real sense of community. The uptake of XBL amongst XBox owners is huge, and Arcade titles are doing well. 400 MP is not much over the price of a pint of beer in London - that's a total impulse buy. It's not just "gamers" either - the same people who are playing Gears of War are playing Uno or Texas Hold 'Em too, when they want something a bit less intense and a bit more social, and because the 'social gaming' framework is so well set up in Live you *can* play something laid-back with some friends without a whole lot of co-ordination effort.

(Sorry if I sound like a Microsoft fan-boy, I'm totally not. I hate Windows as an OS, I despise what they've done in the desktop marketplace with their de facto (and de jure, for all it's worth) monopoly, and I believe Word is responsible for some of the most appalling documents produced in businesses in the last decade. But credit where credit's due, this is one thing they've got pretty much spot on.)

We'll see what happens when Settlers et al arrive, but I predict that a much wider audience than board-gamers who happen to play video games too will be giving them a try. While not all of them will keep playing, and not all of those who do will ever play a board game face-to-face, I do predict that there's going to be *some* degree of interest...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.