Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Toth
Switzerland
Adliswil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I did horribly. I know a few of the mistakes, but that would only bump me a few points (from 15 to ~18), but I would definitely not catch up with the solo titan killing strategy (24 points).

Titans seem super strong since they give similar benefits as buildings, do not take capacity from your city and do not take a worker to attack. So I find it really hard to beat a player who is going heavy on titans. It is very hard to get more than 3 banners in one turn through buildings, but it's very possible to get 5 banners through titans (if you upgraded each turn).

Did I miss something in the rules that would limit the Titan strategy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HappyCerberus wrote:
So I did horribly. I know a few of the mistakes, but that would only bump me a few points (from 15 to ~18), but I would definitely not catch up with the solo titan killing strategy (24 points).

Titans seem super strong since they give similar benefits as buildings, do not take capacity from your city and do not take a worker to attack. So I find it really hard to beat a player who is going heavy on titans. It is very hard to get more than 3 banners in one turn through buildings, but it's very possible to get 5 banners through titans (if you upgraded each turn).

Did I miss something in the rules that would limit the Titan strategy?
This is very dependent on the number of players. With 2 you need to be getting military and titans at a rapid clip otherwise forget it. You can't buy buildings fast enough.

With 3+ I feel that the first place that you need to look each round is at the military cards and jump on the best of the bunch to keep your costs down, beat at least 1 titan, look at buildings (or pick up more military if someone left it), fight another titan and then ensure that your finances are in order.

If other players are keeping each other in check you might be able to balance your approach a little. Not talking 50-50 (titans to buildings) maybe 70-30 from 80-20.

Ignoring titans = last place for the reasons that you mention (the not taking up a slot being the biggest thing)

If played properly by all tAW is a bitter, bitter feud. Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Doughty
United States
California
flag msg tools
OVERTEXT HERE
badge
Funded by supporters like you!
mb
In rare occasions, somewhat more common with three and four than two players, someone will win with an economy/worker/empire based strategy. But no one wins The Ancient World without attacking at least a few Titans. It's the heart of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules that limit armies in this game:
(Sorry, I forget the technical term for "army" in this game... I'm referring to a single stack of military cards with 1 face-up and the rest "retired" underneath.)

1) You have an Army limit of 2. A few cards increase this.

2) You MUST include an Army when you attack a Titan (even if you have enough combat to kill it via workers and cards.)

3) An Army that attacked CANNOT attack again until next round.

4) An Army that attacked CANNOT be retired until next round.

5) Melee + Ranged can be added together for Titans that allow Ranged attacks, but Melee only must be used for Titans that require Melee only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls