Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a game we got for Christmas and I was anxious to try it out since I had read that it is a good game for children and adults. I got the game set up and quickly explained the rules to my family and we were off to explore the caves.

The first cave everyone stayed too long and had to flee a rock slide, leaving all the jewels behind.

The second cave, my 5 year old son became cautious and left after the appearance of the first disaster card, picking up an additional 6 rubies left on earlier cards. His three year old sister soon followed suit, leaving my wife and I to continue deeper into the cave. We both left at the same time with a nice haul of 18 jewels each.

The third cave saw the early appearance of 3 disaster cards. Fortunately, all the cards were different so the brave party continued onward. Again, my 5 year old son left first, scooping up some extra jewels along the way. My wife and daughter left at the same time, leaving me to explore along. Unfortunately, the next card contained the second noxious gas and I had to flee for my life, leaving all my jewels in the cave.

The fourth cave showed a similar pattern as my son left first, soon followed by my wife. My daughter and I pressed forward. I knew I was well behind in jewels so I continued exploring. Unfortunately both my daughter and I were forced out of this cave as well.

The fifth and final cave started and my daughter was determined not to get caught again so she left very early, claiming 6 jewels. My wife and son left two turns later after the appearance of the giant scorpion. I had no choice but to stay and attempt to rack up a big score. Alas, it was not to be as once again a disaster forced me from the cave empty handed.

Final scores: My wife and son tied with 43 jewels. My daughter finished 3rd with 34 jewels. I brought up the rear with 18.

The game has been a big hit with the kids and we have played it several times since then. Everyone has won at least one game except my 3 year old daughter. But she has finished 2nd a couple of times and seems to be getting the hang of it. I expect her to win one soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    Thanks for the writeup -- I brought this out with my twin three-year-olds and things didn't go well. With two there are just too many small hands to manage effectively by myself.

I am eager to bring the game out with my six and nine-year-olds, which I am sure will work out much better.

It's nice to hear another voice of someone with kids on the geek. There's only about 12 of us who write regularly about gaming with children. Keep up the good work.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
Sag,

Thanks for the kind words. I also appreciate reading session reports and reviews about playing games with children. Without good write-ups on BGG, I would never have discovered Gulo Gulo,Diamant, and Hey! That's My Fish!, three games that are among my children's favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wot!
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
This turned out to be a hit with our grandchildren (3 girls age 4 to 8 years). We had previously played Cartagena with them, which was workable, but only with the older girls. Diamant on the other hand was playable, and really fun, with everyone, including the 4 year old. In fact her high point was winning the game ... and she was soooo happy for this after trying for a couple of days - competing with her sisters with such concentration and dedication !

We have now also bought Pick Picnic .... so looking forward to that next time they visit !!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McMillan
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diamant has been a hit with my family as well. The biggest fans of the game are my 3-year-old son, and my 63-year-old father. That's certainly a large age range to work with!

At first, my son had little idea of the actual game concepts. He just enjoyed hiding the little wooden man in his hand, and saying "1-2-3" with the rest of us, as we simultaneously revealed our empty hands or pawns. In recent games, however, I think I see more planning from him, or at least a sense of risk/reward.

In our last session, I PRIVATELY scoffed at my 3-year-old for leaving the mines early, sometimes before even a single hazard card had been revealed. Needless to say, in both games he finished solidly ahead of me. He was pulling in 4-6 gems each time, while I would often bust out. Obviously, there is more than one "right" way to play Diamant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
jmcmilla wrote:
Diamant has been a hit with my family as well. The biggest fans of the game are my 3-year-old son, and my 63-year-old father. That's certainly a large age range to work with!

At first, my son had little idea of the actual game concepts. He just enjoyed hiding the little wooden man in his hand, and saying "1-2-3" with the rest of us, as we simultaneously revealed our empty hands or pawns. In recent games, however, I think I see more planning from him, or at least a sense of risk/reward.

In our last session, I PRIVATELY scoffed at my 3-year-old for leaving the mines early, sometimes before even a single hazard card had been revealed. Needless to say, in both games he finished solidly ahead of me. He was pulling in 4-6 gems each time, while I would often bust out. Obviously, there is more than one "right" way to play Diamant!

My 3 year old also has a tendency to leave very early. As a result, she hasn't won a game yet, but she usually doesn't finish last either. My 5 year old has gotten pretty good at the game and is very competitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    One of the nice things about Diamant is that even when the kids lose they usually have something in their bucket that they can take pride in. Maybe not the most gems, but some that they can call their own.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
larry welborn wrote:

My 3 year old also has a tendency to leave very early. As a result, she hasn't won a game yet, but she usually doesn't finish last either. My 5 year old has gotten pretty good at the game and is very competitive.

After posting the above, my family played again tonight and my 3 year old finally won her first game. My son was 2nd, I was third and my wife finished last. Yea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had thought my 4 year old twins might be too young for this. Based on these comments, though, I think I will have to pick this up. I've played (on BSW) many times, and I enjoy it. I'm sure the kids would like it, I just don't know if they make decisions vs. just copying whatever I do.

Now the question is, should I get Diamant or Incan Gold?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:
I had thought my 4 year old twins might be too young for this. Based on these comments, though, I think I will have to pick this up. I've played (on BSW) many times, and I enjoy it. I'm sure the kids would like it, I just don't know if they make decisions vs. just copying whatever I do.

Since the decision of whether to leave or stay is made simultaneously, the children can't just copy your actions. My three year old tends to play very conservatively while my 5 year old is a bit more daring. I definitely recommend that you get this game, but I can't comment on which version to get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rubric wrote:

Be sure to watch for the twin-effect on this one. There are a lot of distractions in the game that may make it hard to keep both focused simultaneously. I just tried with twin three-year-old boys (they will be four next week) and they were far more interested in the little boxes and gems than the game play.

I think Diamant is going to require a foreign purchase. Incan Gold will be within the US. I'm curious to know if there is a substantial difference, as some of the photos of the Incan Gold stuff don't seem to fit into my Diamant's basic play structure.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Welborn wrote:
Since the decision of whether to leave or stay is made simultaneously, the children can't just copy your actions.

Oh right... well, that's good then. I'm trying to think if I've ever played a simultaneous-play game with them -- I can't think of one. That might even address the distraction issue that Sag mentioned, at leasts initially.

Sagrilarus wrote:
Be sure to watch for the twin-effect on this one. There are a lot of distractions in the game that may make it hard to keep both focused simultaneously. I just tried with twin three-year-old boys (they will be four next week) and they were far more interested in the little boxes and gems than the game play.

One of mine is absolutely fascinated with "treasure chests", so he would love that.

Quote:
I think Diamant is going to require a foreign purchase. Incan Gold will be within the US. I'm curious to know if there is a substantial difference, as some of the photos of the Incan Gold stuff don't seem to fit into my Diamant's basic play structure.

Yeah, that was my opinion also. I was hoping somebody might know off hand, but I will just do a little research.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.