Hide
5 Posts

Xia: Legends of a Drift System» Forums » Variants

Subject: Making blaster outfits more atractive to players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Douglas
msg tools
I've played 10 games of Xia so far and blasters seem to be shunned.
So my latest attempt to make them more appealing to players:

OVERLOAD When activating an unused blaster outfit you may pay an energy for an extra shot(die).

This makes for a simple mod in the game. If the blaster has a marker on it the rule doesn't apply, nothing to keep track of.

Tested it August 29 at a GASP meetup NE of Pittsburgh. Plan to keep it in for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xenothon Stelnicki
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We all overlooked blasters, too- the truth is they can be really strong, especially mid-game and depending on what ships and outfits the players purchase. If you can get close to the action, dual blasters are pretty amazing against npcs or many mid-game players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
evil bob
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do blasters get shunned? I haven't played much so I'm not versed in the combat so well. On paper it seems like rolling extra dice would be better to help offset shields, but range is definitely nice. Generally it just seems really hard to kill other players, and it feels impossible to do it when they get to a planet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
mbmbmbmbmb
You nailed it on the head. It's fairly hard to kill players, especially if they are playing it defensive/cautiously. This means in the opening blasters aren't worth the money. There may not be any NPC's out to prey upon, and even if they are they are unlikely to be worth the effort.

Entering the midgame blasters become useful, but only for certain playstyles. If there is a fat Merchant, it would make a prime target, or going after the Enforcer for FP is a good tactic. However when going after players Missiles are generally a better proposition. I think the current "top build" (some would say only build) for combat is using two missiles (either two outfits or Oversurge).

The advantages to Blasters is that they take up less room (and are easier to fit), while maintaining an average amount of damage. They also provide a deterrence for other players gunning for you. This makes Blasters better for saving cargo space, yet giving you the ability to do a wider range of missions and take advantage of opportunities.

I would rarely go without Blasters entering the endgame, unless I'm already built for combat with Abilities and/or Missiles. However there is plenty of reasons to ignore them in the opening through midgame.

This is my effort to bring combat outfits up to balance with shield outfits: Combat Retooled

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenny Raaymakers
New Zealand
Wanganui
flag msg tools
The only outfits I use in the game are the large engine and blasters. I personally shun the shield and missile outfits, especially if I hire the Sellsword.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.