Popular Tags: [View All]
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The x2 die can double gold, stars, or points, correct?

When it comes to points just how large in scope is it? Can it only double direct points such as a points face? or can it double anything that earns points such as a train or the green die (that rolls points)? Could it double 1/2/3/4 points (and would it be everyone or just the roller getting x2)? Could it double points from stock if the die it was paired with was the last share and a payout resulted?

Aside from this for all my questions I was able to find answers posted in other threads here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Rieberghs
Belgium
Turnhout
-- Maak uw keuze --
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe you better should read the rulebook instead of the threads here

in the rulebook is the following text :

'If, at the end of a player's turn, the X2 is showing with gold, stars or points rolled that turn, then the number of gold, stars or points earned is doubled. This does NOT include the gamble die.
Note : an X2 applies to one die only'

and there are a few exemples as well in the rulebook !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw that it said that about the green die (but forgot to included that in my post as I did not have the rule book in front of me). But this only reinforces my point for if it says specifically not the green die what does it mean for other sources of points (specifically indirect points). Are they then included because they are not specifically excluded?

The other examples in the rule book I believe are more about how rolling x2 on 2 separate dice are applied -- and do not address the sources of points questions I raise (but perhaps I missed them too ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cru Jones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for confirmation that X2 does apply to the position action 1/2/3/4.

And does it apply to the train action? They're both worth points and explicitly not excluded by the rules, like the gamble die is excluded.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Brown
msg tools
"...then the number of gold, stars or points earned is doubled..."

The rulebook seems unclear whether the "points" earned are only referring to points earned via the POINTS action or any points earned from a die regardless of the source (excluding the Gamble Die).

The examples shown in the rulebook are only for doubling coins or stars, it does not provide an example of doubling any points.

So can the X2 action double POINTS, 1234, TRAIN, and even STOCK? Or is the X2 action only available to double the POINTS action?

If the X2 action can double any points earned from one die, then the X2 could double the points earned from the players STOCK as well since points are earned when the STOCK action is rolled and the tickets are depleted.

So either the rules limit the X2 to only GOLD, STAR, and POINTS or the X2 can be used with GOLD, STAR, POINTS, 1234, TRAIN and STOCK which drastically changes the value of the X2 action.

I'm not sure which way to read it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Bailey
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is a bit old, but the way I would look at it is the timing.

Point sides are immediate.

The Train and 1234 are done as a direct result of the action. The points are given immediately and should then be doubled for who rolled it. For the 1234 I'd even go as far as to only give the double to who actually rolled it, meaning if they were in 1st they would get 2 points and 2nd would get 2, 3rd 3, 4th 4.

The stocks are pretty much the same, though there is a delay in the awarding of the points. If you roll a 2x Stock, draw the last one, and are placed to get points, I would see them doubled.

Of course, this is just my interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayme Thysell
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
dirkske wrote:

in the rulebook is the following text :

'If, at the end of a player's turn, the X2 is showing with gold, stars or points rolled that turn, then the number of gold, stars or points earned is doubled. This does NOT include the gamble die.
Note : an X2 applies to one die only'

The x2 action side definitely has the most ambiguous rule description. The rule only excludes the gambling die, which I think means you can't double the roll of the gambling die. The rules don't expressly forbid the x2 from working with other faces, but I believe the rule intends to mean that x2 only works with Gold, Stars, or Points.

x2 is compatible with only 3 of the other action sides, which makes it a sucker bet. It's high risk with a not so great reward. It takes a lot of time and work to build up the dice to pull it off. If/when it pays off you're already too far behind. x2 is not worth it when you follow the rules as written.

............Variant...............

I've also played where x2 works with everything except Roll Again, Arrow, and x2. Everything includes Rattlebones and the 2-6 faces. The idea is that the x2 doubles the action of the other die. This version makes the x2 fun.

Roll Again and Arrow don't work because the actions are redundant.

The rules forbid x2 from working with another x2: A single die can only be affected by one x2 action, and an x2 action can only affect a single die.

Gold, Stars, and Points work as normal.

Train let's you move the train twice, scoring the points the train sits on each time.

9 Pip let's you move a monkey to any space on the board, but a monkey cannot move to the space it started on.

Thief lets you steal 2 things from each player.

1234 let's you score the point for your position twice. Score the points for your position once , then score points again based on your new position if it changed. E.G. if scoring these points moves you from 3rd to second, you score 5 total points: 3 for being in 3rd, then 2 for being in second. If your position didn't move out of 3rd place, then you would score 6 total points: 3 for being in 3rd, then 3 more for being in third.

Stock let's you take two. If you take the last stock first, then you score and take the 1st stock of the next round.

Gamble lets you take the Gamble action twice, so you roll the gamble die, score the points or move Mr Rattelbones, then roll the gamble die again and score or move again.

2-6 faces double your monkey movement on the board. Don't move twice, it's a single move for twice as many spaces.

Rattlebones, means you move your monkey 2 spaces on the board and Mr. Rattlebones moves 2 spaces on the points track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.