Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Brown
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of Vietnam's great strengths is its completely open deployment: The players get to decide what forces they want use in Vietnam, within limits, and see what happens. But this is also a weakness: If you're like me, when you first set up the game you asked yourself "what was really here historically?" and also "how fast in game terms did the US actually build up?"
Well, in pursuit of answers I've been working on historical orders of battle for all the participants, and believe I have pretty accurate records for all of the conventional land forces, including the PAVN (called the NVA in the game). The NLF of course is really, really difficult as they were very improvisational in their organization, and typically used geographically based codenames/callsigns to identify their units. Air and naval forces are also a challenge in that they are simply numbers of points. How many points is an F-100 equipped Tactical Fighter Wing worth?
I posted (now available) the order of battle for the ANZACs in the files section below.
My question is:

Are players actually interested in historical data?

I feel I have to ask because as long as this blog is, no one else has asked about historical units. All I can find are game-optimal ARVN set ups, which are pretty ahistorical. But then how would you know? There's no guide anywhere, which is my point.

Please use this thread and let me know what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Robert L Howard (Medal of Honor recipient)
mbmbmbmbmb

I am very interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri P
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be nice. There seems to be some English sources for approximating NLF presence in the first years, but I have not found anything for after that. Do you believe it might be possible to find out the exact deployments for what the game calls NVA over the years? And would it be accurate, considering that an infantry regiment in the game has different capabilities if it is blue or red, while there might have been no such difference in reality?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to do some research on the U.S. OOB this weekend but if you've got it that would be awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools

I'm definitely interested in having it, despite having no time to play out a full campaign at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Chambers

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have a paperback, Inside the VC and NVA, which has some limited NVA deployment data (division ID, short unit history, dates and location of service). I've not found anything on the VC in hardbound form. Some internet sources have listed VC unit names and when they were first ID'd, but I can't attest to their veracity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Brown
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First: Thanks for your comments. I hope more follow.

"VC" bns: I've concluded that the NLF individual battalions are best left as they are in the game. In my custom counter sets, I do not even put an id on them!

Inside the VC and NVA: Thanks for the recommendation; I'm adding that to my library immediately. The PAVN OB I've compiled primarily uses the official SRV history "Victory in Vietnam" for its source. Another point of view would be useful.

Stanton: His US Army OB is the first and last word on the US Army, except for mentioning when units got the worst of it. Stanton lists almost every other FW unit in the 'Nam as well, but doesn't offer the same detail.

It's Labor Lay Weekend here in Minnesota; I need to play in the sun before the Arctic winds get here. I'll post more next week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there are a number of resources from CMH
http://www.history.army.mil/html/bookshelves/resmat/vw.html#...

I also recommend
Rise and Fall of an American Army by Shelby Stanton
https://books.google.com.au/books/about/The_Rise_and_Fall_of...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.