Popular Tags: [View All]
James Moore
United States
Waynesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering, are S-class boats included in the game? I know they are not fleet boats, but hope to see them..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wedge
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope.

Fleet boats and a couple of the V-boats are included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Moore
United States
Waynesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wedgeij wrote:
Nope.

Fleet boats and a couple of the V-boats are included.

I figured as much. Maybe Nigel or someone will make an "Early U-Boats" style mod that includes them..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey James,

Just like I didn't put the "ducks" into the Hunters, I strongly felt the same about the S-boats. I needed to focus on the fleet boats to keep the game and charts manageable, and indeed to keep the game focused where it needed to be. With the inclusion of S-boats there'd be so many more special rules and situations it would severely complicate a game that already has a bit more complexity than I would have liked (it's not THAT much more complicated than the Hunters at the moment, but it is a little bit more....and while Hunters players won't even bat an eyelash, new players will think it's a bit more complicated than what they'd heard about the system. I'm rambling now, but I hope you see the point. I know some people would like the S-boats, but it was a deliberate design decision and I'm standing by it. I feel it's the right call for the system.

I'm certainly not trying to downplay their contributions, in fact they deserve their own game or player mod. But they just were outside the scope of what I was trying to achieve with Silent Victory.

It's not like we're cheating people out of submarine types though...we have 9 different types of fleet boats...that should keep you busy I hope

Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sturmer wrote:
With the inclusion of S-boats there'd be so many more special rules and situations it would severely complicate a game that already has a bit more complexity than I would have liked (it's not THAT much more complicated than the Hunters at the moment, but it is a little bit more....and while Hunters players won't even bat an eyelash, new players will think it's a bit more complicated than what they'd heard about the system.
Greg

Having tried the game, I can understand what Greg says, but as an Experienced The Hunters players the added stuff wasn't a problem, and I don't think new players will have a problem either. The added stuff is more like a natural evolvement into a more mature into a system handles more things. So it isn't added complexity, it is a better and more evolved sytem.

I don't think new players will have a harder time learning this game than they would have learning The Hunters. When you encounter a capital ship, you read about that, and the extra things this sytem now allows will be learnt easily enough.

Great game where it should be easy enough for someone to make rules for a usercreated S-boat. Like the Early boats for The Hunters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Moore
United States
Waynesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sturmer wrote:
Hey James,

Just like I didn't put the "ducks" into the Hunters, I strongly felt the same about the S-boats. I needed to focus on the fleet boats to keep the game and charts manageable, and indeed to keep the game focused where it needed to be. With the inclusion of S-boats there'd be so many more special rules and situations it would severely complicate a game that already has a bit more complexity than I would have liked (it's not THAT much more complicated than the Hunters at the moment, but it is a little bit more....and while Hunters players won't even bat an eyelash, new players will think it's a bit more complicated than what they'd heard about the system. I'm rambling now, but I hope you see the point. I know some people would like the S-boats, but it was a deliberate design decision and I'm standing by it. I feel it's the right call for the system.

I'm certainly not trying to downplay their contributions, in fact they deserve their own game or player mod. But they just were outside the scope of what I was trying to achieve with Silent Victory.

It's not like we're cheating people out of submarine types though...we have 9 different types of fleet boats...that should keep you busy I hope

Greg

Oh it's no problem that they were not included. I just like the old S-boats. While the hot shots like Mush Morton were tooling around in their air-conditioned Cadillacs eating ice cream, the crews on the S-boats had to struggle just to keep their 1920s vintage boats running.
Most never accomplished much, although the S-44 actually did very well.
If I can figure out how to make a mat for them, there really wouldn't be much else needed, except for maybe a counter for Mk. 10 torpedoes, and a generic S-boat counter.
After the game comes out I will see what can be done..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Hodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I've many a happy memory of trying to get S-boats into action in Silent Hunter 4 though that PC game didn't really reflect issues regarding reliability etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Moore
United States
Waynesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forensicman wrote:
Ah, I've many a happy memory of trying to get S-boats into action in Silent Hunter 4 though that PC game didn't really reflect issues regarding reliability etc.

Yes, nothing has really reflected that something was always breaking down on an S-boat. I'm thinking that to go along with an S-boat play mat, you might need to roll for equipment failures in every travel box, or perhaps every other travel box..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.