Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig McRoberts
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've stopped smoking. It's the hardest thing I've ever done, and it's just been over 24 hours.

Last night, I spent hours sorting through all the cards that came with my BattleCON Kickstarter stuff, and that kept me occupied enough. But now that's gone, and I don't know how I'm going to keep myself busy. Thankfully, my boyfriend is supportive and helpful, so I'm sure we'll come up with something.

Wish me luck!
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Good luck! I did it over 20 years ago, but thankfully it was easy for me.
The only thing I really miss is the curbed appetite...

Oh, and if you're one of those vaping douches now, please let me know so I can undo the thumb. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott McDonald
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck!

I quit successfully in Dec of 2013. (4th times the charm, I guess). It helped me to have a clear goal of why I was quitting for when I had the "nic fits".

Also, don't start eating everything. I gained 50 pounds after I quit and I finally got rid of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck, and stick at it!!!

I quite 7 years ago, and it was a swine. But the thing is, it does get a lot easier to keep off them as the time goes by.

Everyone is different, but my personal experience went a bit like this. For the first couple of weeks it was hell. Cravings and such. Then it was like a dial turned in my head, and the smell of smoke, in the air, or on some one, caused a different reaction in me.

For those first weeks I'd smell smoke and it would trigger bad cravings. Then suddenly I smelt smoke on a workmate, and my first unthinking reaction was "gross". Now all I get is a negative reaction from the smell of smoke.

There is probably a really long, scientific reason for such a reaction written down somewhere, but I'm far too lazy to look. Just happy it works the way it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Ahh, good luck. It's a tough thing to do, quitting. I quit smoking in 1986 after I took my first drag and yelled "Ack, this tastes like ass". To this day I wonder, maybe I just wasn't cool enough to pull it off, and ended up playing D&D instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck and congratulations!!

You will have lots of spare cash all of a sudden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig McRoberts
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everyone. Having support is super helpful.

And no, I'm not vaping. Bleh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Ahh, good luck. It's a tough thing to do, quitting. I quit smoking in 1986 after I took my first drag and yelled "Ack, this tastes like ass". To this day I wonder, maybe I just wasn't cool enough to pull it off, and ended up playing D&D instead.

Inquiring minds want to know how you know it "tasted like ass"

Best of luck to you. Having never smoked, I have no idea what you're going through
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing you could do is work out how much you spent, and set aside that money for a one month (or whatever time) good behaviour treat.

Trust me, it will feel well earnt.laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Willpower is like a muscle - the more you exercise it the stronger it will get.

Just remember that the only thing harder than quitting now is trying to quit again later if you relapse. I had a friend who practically became addicted to the cycle of quitting and starting again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Been 5 years. I quit twice before and stayed quit for several years but each time my wife didn't quit so I would eventually start up again. Each time it was so hard. So much will power and then it was all up in smoke.

This third time I used Chantix. It was so easy this time. I simply woke up one day and no longer had an interest in smoking. Both my wife and I have been free for 5 years. I have a rule this time as well. I can't have "just one puff" or "just one cigarette". I realize now it's like being an alcoholic. I don't want just one puff or just one cigarette but understand that I want 5. I will forever have to keep that in my head because even being 5 years away from them I know that I enjoy smoking and if I have just one it will lead to another and another until I'm addicted again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 years here as well. It will get a lot easier after a few tough weeks. Just don't start any stupid "only on weekends/on parties/other excuse" shenanigans. Get yourself something nice with the extra cash. Having a supportive partner is half the battle.

It will be worth it. I can't imagine ever going back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a non-smoker I don't have any good advice, so I will just say this:

Never give up.

Every time you tell your urges no, you are adding more to your life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I gave up smoking at the start of 2014.
I'd been smoking for 20 years and my wife was the same so we gave it up cold turkey and haven't looked back.
The only thing is I wished I had given them up sooner.

Good luck, your body will thank you for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pimentel
United States
Fairfield
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quit before my first was born, about 6 years ago, stayed away for a year, then have been smoking since. Tried quitting about 6 months ago, made it 3 weeks before my uncle passed and I gave in to the struggle. Think it's almost time to put that dog to rest for good, so going to try on October 1 (figure it's good to have a goal).

But stay strong and positive. That's really the most important part. It's certainly not easy, and you need to be prepared for those all important, "One won't hurt!" messages you get; they lie. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck!

tried it several times, but didn't manage to succed.
Well, at least I don't inhale anymore; otherwise I'd cough my lungs out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMERIGAMER!
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
great job! you deserve a drink...no wait, have two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave wrote:
Good luck! I did it over 20 years ago, but thankfully it was easy for me.
The only thing I really miss is the curbed appetite...

Decaf coffee is also an appetite suppressant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
bill437 wrote:
Decaf coffee is also an appetite suppressant

I need the real stuff for my ADD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Howden
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
I believe you have mine...
badge
Bringing you quality product in the face of crushing indifference since 1970.
mbmbmbmbmb
Did it two years ago, after a 5 year stint off the wagon. Whatever you are doing to quit, just remember, it is just as difficult no matter what path you take. Stay strong, you're doing it right. Think of how many games you can buy with all the extra cash!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Reese
United States
South pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got 8 years. When I quit I also quit drinking at the same time. You can do this. It gets easier, I promise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!

Some things to hopefully help you along the way:
•Remind yourself why you're doing it often.
•Don't beat yourself up if you mess up. Get back on track the next day.
•Keep trying to find distractions.
•Keep at it, it'll be worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mb
Craig, stay strong! Maybe go for a run or swim whenever the urge hits? If cigarettes were as cheap as they were 20 years ago, I'd probably smoke now, but my god - think of the money you'll save! That's a lot of extra games each week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck and thanks. The less people out there smoking, the better for everyone.

You probably smell a lot better now too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vapix
msg tools
mbmbmb
A suggestion:

You need to deal with both changing old habits (the many "smoke breaks" during the day) and the physical addiction to nicotine.

I found the nicotine issue easy to handle (unusual and lucky), so I was able to focus on the habit side more than most, and I have some simple advice based on that:

Don't engage in "random" substitute behaviors. Actively plan what you'll do instead of smoking. For example, when it's time for a short rest from a task, have something specific ready rather than sit down and randomly wonder "what do I do for the next ten minutes?"

Done at random, there's a real risk the answer to that is "too much sugar, too much coffee, think about smoking".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.