Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched the gameplay session of the dice tower https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UmHoifZbhg and do not get why the game is hyped so much ?

What makes this game so exciting ? The theme seems to be pasted on. Is it basically an euro game ? Each player was following his own fixed strategy from the beginning and at the end some paid of better than others.

It feels each was doing his own solitaire agenda with some minor interference during battles.

I guess it must be the inexperience of the players that causes them not to challenge the strategy of the leader during the last phase ?

What do I miss ? Can anyone who played more than one or two games tell me what makes them think this is a great game ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LarkinVB wrote:
I watched the gameplay session of the dice tower https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UmHoifZbhg and do not get why the game is hyped so much ?

I guess it must be the inexperience of the players that causes them not to challenge the strategy of the leader during the last phase ?

Those are not questions. Why did you put question marks?

Anyway, it's hype, dude. Hype does not require any reason whatsoever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flaviorbs wrote:
LarkinVB wrote:

Those are not questions. Why did you put question marks?

To attract the grammar police ? You are welcome. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Franke
Germany
Wildeshausen
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure either. I think it will be fun but I am not sure if it will be better than Cthulhu Wars (those two will be competing in my collection)
I will know more in 4-5 weeks though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aron craig
United States
Cumming
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played it myself, nor did I watch their actually playthrough... but two of the Tower guys listed Blood Rage as their #1 and #2 kickstarter game of all time respectively, so obviously they were enjoying it. Maybe it just one of those games that watching it is far less interesting than actually playing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S P
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
-It's a game that mixes Euro and Ameritrash gameplay pretty well so it is accessible/enjoyable to both types of gamers.

-It has nice artwork/components.

-It has streamlined gameplay and is simple to teach.

-It is a lot of fun.

I played it and liked it a lot so I think it is worthy of the attention. That said, I'm sure there will be many people who don't like this game so if it doesn't look good to you, then you might be one of those people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Herman
United States
Sussex
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a ton of fun. So many hard decisions with action points and picking your battles against people you think you can beat (or not beat, if it suits you).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Popular designer releasing a pretty game that's an updated version of a system he built into an extremely well-regarded game, only this time with a more accessible theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LarkinVB wrote:

What do I miss ?

You might have missed all the information that they have on each round, including special abilities and what most of the quest cards, monsters, attacks, etc, are from the draft. As an observer you don't know any of that, your brain is not engaged. As a player, all that makes the decisions (to battle, deploy or quest, how to battle, etc) fun and interesting!
They also know the rules, do you?

My advice to you would be to simply play the game and make up your own mind.

This sentence did strike me as funny:

LarkinVB wrote:
It feels each was doing his own solitaire agenda with some minor interference during battles.

They are constantly battling, and you use a word like "solitaire"? Bad choice of words.
Players do want a particular outcome from each battle, but why is that a "solitaire agenda"? It's simply hidden information.
When a game has so much player interaction (battles) like this one, the word "solitaire" seems out of place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to be pumped about this, but I don't get it either. Let's draft a bunch of random modifiers and then do card based random effect combat cards. I never see randomness adhere to a strategy.

More power to people who truly enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kingery
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gods Gifts/card draft is just awesome. You have to make some very hard choices as to which god/gods you will follow (try to not do more then 2) and which cards you really don't want the other players to have.

The draft alone is a game in itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R. Nielsen-Doss
United States
Hudson Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boepp wrote:
I am not sure either. I think it will be fun but I am not sure if it will be better than Cthulhu Wars (those two will be competing in my collection)

I am a backer and excited about BR but I would be stunned if it is better than CW. We have been playing CW for months now (base game) and I don't see it leaving my top spot anytime soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James

Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own it and though not the most strategic game in my arsenal it is a lot of fun... Best thing about it is that u can play an epic game in less than 2 hours!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rayzor6 wrote:
I would love to be pumped about this, but I don't get it either. Let's draft a bunch of random modifiers and then do card based random effect combat cards. I never see randomness adhere to a strategy.

What's your definition of random? Once everyone has a starting hand before the draft, everything else happens because of player decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drafting, at least in those numbers, doesn't seem to be my thing. Watching the DT playthrough, it was like a 5-minute break in the middle of the action, what action there was. CitOW vibes, but where that game for me suffered from lack of combat (because no points to be had from it apart for Khorne), this one has combat, only the way it's done seem bleh. Guess I'll know to steer clear of Kemet and Cyclades too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Drafting, at least in those numbers, doesn't seem to be my thing. Watching the DT playthrough, it was like a 5-minute break in the middle of the action, what action there was. CitOW vibes, but where that game for me suffered from lack of combat (because no points to be had from it apart for Khorne), this one has combat, only the way it's done seem bleh. Guess I'll know to steer clear of Kemet and Cyclades too.

It's very difficult to appreciate a drafting game as an observer. The players have all the information which they must use to make agonizing decisions and follow or pick a strategy. The observer has nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It does seem like 90% of the interesting decisions come in the draft. After that you're just seeing how your strategy fares in the chaos of everyone else's and possibly switching to plan B if everything goes wrong.

In that way it's a little like Seasons but with more direct conflict and testosterone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Herman
United States
Sussex
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During action phase the order of everything matters so you might want to bring out your monsters but find you also want to pillage before others get a chance to get more troops on the board, you need to keep a few action points left to respond to potential issues. I don't agree that the drafting is the most interesting decision point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Lang is an incredible designer.

Game has similarities to chaos in the old world which is a great game. But has enough differences in the mechanics I want to play both.

It looks like it scales well at various player counts

Great minis add some.icing to the awesomeness
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarnop wrote:
rayzor6 wrote:

What's your definition of random? Once everyone has a starting hand before the draft, everything else happens because of player decisions.

But the cards try to limit themselves by being with a type of god....then they just seem to be wild modifiers to the combat system which is near identical to Kemet.

I like drafting as much as the next guy, but it feels like the separate god category just is there to prevent someone from taking all the powerful cards.

Then the cards are things like troop types getting bonus or simply kill this group in the fight.

I think my confusion still comes from Tom Vasel's extremely positive review. I think that kind of dedication should go to a game that just blows the door off and brings a relatively new experience to gaming. To me, this is an ok game with beautiful minis. Again, I don't mean that in a negative and I hope everyone loves it for a long time. This is only my opinion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damjan Makuc
Slovenia
Idrija
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe drafting adds something extra that we couldn't grasp from watching the live play. Judging from all the rest, I find CITOW better game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't get the hype, but for entirely different reasons. Watching the video convinced me that the miniatures are more than superfluous--there just isn't enough movement in the game for miniatures to add anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Turner
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adrian Smith helps the hype increase a lot, for good reason. I saw this at Gencon and could have bought it, but since I backed it, I didn't and I am kicking myself.

My group loves Nexus Ops, but usually end up with 5 players showing up. Chaos in the Old world is great, but it's a heavier game so I'm hoping this falls in the middle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad Thoughts wrote:
I don't get the hype, but for entirely different reasons. Watching the video convinced me that the miniatures are more than superfluous--there just isn't enough movement in the game for miniatures to add anything.
I think they might be "visual appeal".

I backed the game because Midgard looks like fun. I have a Swedish friend who loves Viking-based games (go figure) but refused to play Midgard because it lacked "visual appeal" (he really seems to have issues with that topic, great guy otherwise). So, for some reason (he is really a lot of fun to play against and with) I backed Blood Rage despite already having more games that we will play in two lifetimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boepp wrote:

I played Cthulhu Wars last night. Fun game. Doesn't even come close to Blood Rage. You have more meaningful decisions to make, much less fiddly edge case scenarios, and can be taught in 1/4 of the time. I'd like to play CW again for sure, and would even own a copy if I could find it reasonably, but it's not even a question for me of which game is better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.