Star Wars Miniatures» Forums » Variants

Subject: Ultimate Scale Comparison Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JFK Friendly
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi Folks,

as a Star Wars wargamer (in my case: Imperial Assault and SW Miniatures) you often have (or want) to improvise when it comes to using vehicles or other minis. In this thread I will post images to compare sizes and scales of different miniatures and models, an hope, all of you will contribute pictures as well!

It doesn't matter if you want to use them just as terrain or if you think about using them as game pieces by proxying existing models from the range, making up your own rules, up looking for fan-made stats on the web.

Sooner or later you will ask yourself, if the models fit the scale of our 30mm-ranges. Even if the scale is stated somewhere (eg. the packaging of Revell models) there is still a chance that something which is not in 30mm-Scale (roughly 1:50-1:55) still fits in terms of practicality and does look great ont the battelfield or something, that ist exactly 1:50 scale doesn't really fit. So we can't just rely on numbers. That is why I want this thread to be visiual and collect scale-comparison images of each and every model/toy or miniature imagniable which could fit 30mm-Star-Wars-wargames.

The ideal photoes in this thread should be shot on a 1"-grid (like the one used in Star Wars Miniatures) and there should be at least one Imperial Assault Mini or SW Minis Mini (ideally both) next to the model. Also, the manufacturer and a hint where you could get the model should be included.

As a primer to our endeavour I will state the best exisiting scale comparison sites or articles here:
http://www.momirfarooq.com/swcharacter/starwarsminis.htm
(great article about different minis, but unfortunately a bit dated in terms of existing ranges)

http://www.rebelscale.com/
(best source for comparison by numbers, but - as stated above - there still might be a difference between the stated scale and the feeling of something looking good on the playmat).

I hope, there will be many posts and cool comparison photoes on this thread! Thanks for sharing your stuff.

All best

Jan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JFK Friendly
Germany
flag msg tools
Huma sized minis

Here you can see examples from different miniature ranges (from rtl):

Aayla Secura by Knight Models (out of production, you can find thom on ebay, amazon or in web stores if you ar lucky. Unpainted Metal Model. High pricepoint, I got this mini for EURO 12,-)

Stormtrooper by FFG (Imperial Assault)

Clone Tropper by Wizards of the Coast (SW Miniatures)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JFK Friendly
Germany
flag msg tools
AT-STs
There is a big variety of AT-ST models out there. I happened to collect a few (from rtl):

AT-ST by ATM/MPC Ertl mounted on an 3" round base (you might get t on Ebay but it is relatively rare as it is out of production since the late 90s).

AT-ST by Wizards of the Coast (SW Miniatures)

Wookie-Hunter AT-ST by Wizards of the Coast (SW Miniatures)

AT-ST by FFG (Imperial Assault)

in front you can see a Storm Trooper by FFG and a Clone Trooper by WizKids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil J.
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat comparison idea. Thanks for sharing.

Just one company clarification. The Star Wars Miniatures product line was made by Wizards of the Coast, not WizKids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JFK Friendly
Germany
flag msg tools
Thanks for your input, Neil. Just fixed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JFK Friendly
Germany
flag msg tools
Moldy Crow (paper model)
I found this paper model of Kyle Katarn's Moldy Crow on http://www.ghostofman.com.

It is bigger than a starfighter (I still think, that FFG got the size of this ship wrong in X-Wing) and a very nice paper model.

Yes, the miniature in front of the ship really is Kyle Katarn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JFK Friendly
Germany
flag msg tools
A-Wing
This is the Hasbro/Galoob A-Wing from their Action Fleet line.

It looks ok on the gameboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JFK Friendly
Germany
flag msg tools
X-Wing (Action Fleet)
This is Hasbro's/Galoob's Action Fleet X-Wing. It is definetely not to scale (way too small). But it is ok for the gameboard. As you can see in the last image, it is stil bigger than the X-Wing on the Wizards of the Costs Star Wars Maps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JFK Friendly
Germany
flag msg tools
Action Fleet: Comparison X-Wing/A-Wing
As you can see, the X-Wing is a bit small. But still: I think it is looking good on the game borb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ligon
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good thread. I'm looking for a TIE Fighter. Hopefully I'll have time in the next few days to picture a few I have that are close to this scale...

TIE Interceptor
AT-RT (?) sort of green-tinged chicken-walker with single pilot.
B-Wing... to small
Snowspeeder

One trick I've used with the A-Wing is putting it on a 1/2 inch riser during the game. It makes is look better and closer to scale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Smith
United States
New Albany
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jan_f wrote:
I found this paper model of Kyle Katarn's Moldy Crow on http://www.ghostofman.com.

It is bigger than a starfighter (I still think, that FFG got the size of this ship wrong in X-Wing) and a very nice paper model.

Yes, the miniature in front of the ship really is Kyle Katarn!

This.... is amazing. I've wanted a papercraft of the Moldy Crow for the longest time... it's my favorite ship!! So cool man, looks great

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Yacullo
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have access to a 3D printer, there's a model of the Moldy Crow[/geekurl] over on Thingiverse. Then you could scale it to exactly the size you need.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:909536

Hmm BGG doesn't like this style of link. Make sure you get the :909536 in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JFK Friendly
Germany
flag msg tools

Took me a while to get my hands on both, the Wotc and the Revell AT-AT.
Here you can see both of them.
More Pictures coming soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
mbmbmbmbmb
jan_f wrote:
There is a big variety of AT-ST models out there. I happened to collect a few (from rtl):

AT-ST by ATM/MPC Ertl mounted on an 3" round base (you might get t on Ebay but it is relatively rare as it is out of production since the late 90s).
AT-ST by Wizards of the Coast (SW Miniatures)
Wookie-Hunter AT-ST by Wizards of the Coast (SW Miniatures)
AT-ST by FFG (Imperial Assault)

in front you can see a Storm Trooper by FFG and a Clone Trooper by WizKids.

Can you also give the absolute measurements? I think the ones on the left seem better sized than the Imperial Assault model, but there are so many optional replacements available at the moment .. I would like to know the height of the AT-ST's on the left? The IA version is about 12cm high .. the WOTC version something like .. 20cm?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.