Eminent Domain: Escalation» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Scientific Discovery steamrolling. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kelvin Lau
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it has been brought up quite a few times on the board but after I had read that there wasn't quite much of a satisfying solution to me.

Now our group, and some other outside players coming in as a sit-in guest, most agree to play SD like the following, it is a group think already. Mostly 3er or 4er,

We consider bad luck and a lot more comfortable to play against if the SD comes in later in the deck. But regardless, the latest 'first' SD comes in turn 2,

-1st research on SD
Improved Research +Colonize/prodcute +Bulb from the Fertile thread.

It will immediately trim the deck out with useless cards. With the deck already streamlined,

-2nd reserach on SD
Double Time +Bulb +material

-3rd research on SD
1. Peace treaty if seeing the board having a very heavy warfare play
2. Improved colonization if needing to flip a planet.
3. Improved Survery, combo with Double Time
4. MOAR DOUBLE TIME

Either would work on the 3rd depending on situations.

Later, transforming into a production trade play is quite unstoppable imho.

How do you stop it or any other SD build like this? It seems SD always come close to win or obviously winning if a end game is triggered before those silly victory endpoint kicks it, with not much counter or resistance at all.

We tried open table talk 'ganking', i.e. rushing colonization in a 3er game, it doesn't work very good. SD still run away with 24vp with 19 and 16 behind.

And btw, we had removed Double Trouble from the game as it is unpleasant to play with. It seems SD is very hard to play against unless there are two players rushing production trade since from the beginning? Which really depends on the initial start IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally my group has been playing around with a number of houserules to nerf SD a bit, at least for the scenario. It feels extremely strong, with only Fertile Ground giving it any real competition.

Here's a few of the ideas we've tried or talked about:

1) SD can't take any cards that can be bought with Fighters (ie Escalation techs).
2) SD only gets the bonus action if it already has the planet pre-reqs.
3) SD cannot take permanent techs, and the cards it takes go into the discard rather than hand.
4) SD cannot take Double Times.

I think the real issue is comboing it with Double Time. DT is already a card that can lead to seriously abusive combos. You could potentially houserule that DT instead reads: "Select two cards in hand. One at a time, play those cards for their actions."

I realize you're asking for competitive strategies against SD without houserules, but I've got very little to offer on that front. While it's not unbeatable, it feels at least one sigma above the rest of the cards; hence why I think a houserule to nerf it is probably a good starting point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Hwang
South Korea
flag msg tools
Kevin. In my experience that strategy is inferior to an all out warfare strategy of sprinting to military campaign and natural order. What are you going to trade if you have no planets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.