Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Need help with tha jungle of miniature games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
erik olsen
msg tools
So we desided that we want a miniature game.

and as complete nubs in the area we need your help..

we want something with lots of humor..

please suggest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theodore Martinovich
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Hulk can see ghosts, breathe underwater, and survive a nuclear bomb.
badge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCSE5I0Wp7c
mbmbmbmbmb
Come on. You know people want details... Whose "we" how much time, money, and effort do you want to put into it? Humor can be added by how you play and your group and is rarely part of many games outside of party games...

Do you paint? Do you care if it's painted? What themes do you like? How complex are the games you enjoy... We need more because you could play malifaux or Arcadia quest or Xwing....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
erik olsen
msg tools
i am sorry... me and my wife are "WE".. and are both complete nubs in this area..

ive once seen someone else play a 10 minuts match of warhammer 40k.. i diddent like it.. ( i think it was the GM dude that was just waaay to much into it with sound effects and spaceships flying all over the room)... i would give it another shot tho if you guys recommended that excatley..

we have also once seen a giant napolen battle about to start.. but i could tell that this game was more of a serious battle game...

i also own Blood bowl for pc and actually like it alot..

so we have actually no clue what we are looking for.. we just want laughs while playing.. nothing too serius..

Paint... dmit.. wife insists that its done by us.. our game.. our paint.. gonna be looking worse than with no paint..

games we enjoy
Gloom
Arkham horror

i hope this helps

Edit
about price.. i hope that these games all have a beginners box ?
effort.. yea great question.. i guess it depends if it cathes us enough..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
let's go.
badge
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting...
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcadia Quest if you like versus.

Myth if you like coop, like open ended gameplay, and want to spend a fair amount of money.

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) or Star Wars: Imperial Assault if you like a campaign. IA also has a 2 player skirmish mode, which might appeal to you.

BattleLore (Second Edition) or any other Command and Colors variant if you like army type stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theodore Martinovich
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So. Malifaux is pretty good if you like that sprawling table game. The theme is very cool too and I suggest looking into it. Not sure about funny but if you can find the fun in Halloween I think you could find it in This game.

CMoN do Arcadia Quest which is a great story driven pvpve game that has dice rolling and upgrades over time. Tons of fun. In a similar vein Kaosball: The Fantasy Sport of Total Domination is fun. Card driven with a funky theme. Cowboys vs werewolves vs Valkyries.... Both of these play on boards though.

Like I said funny is more in how you play. That theme can be "funny" but... Can be serious too depending on you....

Most of the games can be pretty good like Infinity but... Probably a little too serious for what your looking for

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
erik olsen
msg tools
malifaux looks pretty damn good.. will look more into that!

i will try to explain more about the "humor" im talking about

in Arkham horror chances are your toon goes from OK to complete crap..

in blood bowl shiat happens.. your goblin just got eaten by your troll..

Gloom is gloom always just rude against the player..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
erik olsen
msg tools
will look more into Arcadia quest!

Myth - no pvp at all?

Descent - a friend got this.. never tryed it tho

Star wars IA - not star wars not for this

battlelore - will look more into that..

in blood bowl you can also transfor your team to next game.. that feature would be awsome too..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 +2 +3 +4 +.... Arcadia Quest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
erik olsen
msg tools
thats for tha + Mad math

Kaosball looks intresting too..

can you use your team over and over like blood bowl?

i like its more than 2 player..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theodore Martinovich
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea. It's a good game. My wife just hates card driven games like kemet and cosmic encounter and dislikes this one as well. The base box comes with 4 teams and you can buy up to 12 more. And some "ringers" the team boards have cool magnets in them so you can add special skills to your team and upgrade and change them somewhat if you play a season... Or you can just do exhibition style may be and draft certain skills... It's a cool game and fast with quick set up. That's the one downside to Arcadia. Set up time is kinda long but so worth it.

Edit: sorry for typos and such. On my phone

Malifaux is a great "lifestyle" game. But... You probably want to find if there are others around that you can game with... And it's also more rules heavy then the others...

Side note. you could always look into heroclix or something like that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
erik olsen
msg tools
thank you very much..

the games i for sure will look into alot more is so far

Kaosball

arcadia wife diddent like

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game just mentioning this since you like the pc game. No miniatures, your players are represented by cards, but great fun for me and my gf.

BattleLore (Second Edition) I love this one, my gf doesn't, maybe you have more luck. Great miniatures, fun battles where you move your small army around and try to work a strategie.

Shadows of Brimstone: Swamps of Death great western/horror themed dungeon crawler. Lots of throwing dice, fighting monsters, getting crazy encounters that mess you up. You also level up your character over multiple games.

Gloomhaven this is a legacy type (meaning that during play you change the world, unlock new quest, put stickers on your map) dungeoncrawler, it's on kickstarter right now, so not for now, releasing in 2016.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
erik olsen
msg tools
Thank you very much for your anwser..

- blood bowl team manager is already on the list of games that i wanna buy once i find it cheap enough..

- battlelore i will look more into this but i dont hink wifu like..

-Shadows of brimstone i like this alot actually..western theme.. but as wife said "it looks to much as arkham horror" (we already got that)

- Gloomheaven Oh yea.. but next year..

A friend of mine told me that "what im looking for is called Mordheim..
however its not really a game where you can buy a beginners box"..
im all "??????"
maybe somone made a complete game that is like that Mordheim?

the games we will look more into
Kaosball
Shadows of brimstone (just for me atleast)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Grimes
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you're taking a look at malifaux, you might look at Puppet Wars Unstitched

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Erik,

If money is an issue, I recommend my own creation:

Whack & Slaughter

The rules are free and you can play with any miniatures you already possess.
In a 2 player game, 4 miniatures per side are recommended.
You don't own any miniatures yet?
Then you can go out and buy just those you like.
Reaper Miniatures, for example, can provide you with some very cheap but still good looking miniatures, such as those: http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Bones

Kind regards,
Kai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.