Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chris saman
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been trying to find the answer to this but can't and don't want to go into too much searching so as not to spoil any content. Thinking about buying base game but not interested in ally/villain packs. And I'm not sure how the play structure is set up...is there only one campaign with several missions? Are some missions/side missions not played depending on the story arc? Can you replay missions? Just thinking about longevity as its a hefty price tag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is Aftermath, which is the starting story mission. There are 5 other story missions played during a campaign, each have 2 alternatives depending on the result of the previous one.

In addition, 5 side missions are played during a campaign. These come from a subset of all side missions: 6 hero-specific, 4 green and 5 grey missions (one from Luke ally pack). Each Agenda set may contain an agenda side mission or an agenda forced mission.

In total there are 30 missions in the base game plus one grey side mission from the Luke pack and one agenda side mission from the Vader pack.

You will play at least 11 missions during a campaign, possibly upto 14 (if there are forced missions).

So, to answer your questions:
- You won't play all missions in one campaign.
- Even if you do play the same mission twice, it will still play differently. (Different heroes, different imperial class deck, you may play a side mission at a different point of the campaign with different skills and items for the heroes and imperial player, and the strategies change. Also, missions have hidden choices for the imperial player, so not all things that happen during one play of a mission necessarily repeat in the next play of a mission.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To get a better look how a campaign is structured, you might want to take a look at some campaign tracking sheets.

As an example this one: http://teamcovenant.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Imperial-...

Just the base game brings a lot of replay-ability. The possible side missions differ with the heroes in play and also the story mission can alternate in each stage between two possible ones.

I would say that you can easily play 3-5 campaigns without a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty
United States
California
flag msg tools
Per the comments above, there's this image/download in the files section:
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/109226/error/expired/spoil...
It shows just the standard campaign missions and when you play each. It basically boils down to this:
IF the rebels win every mission in one campaign
AND
IF the Imperials win every mission the the next campaign
THEN you will have played all the campaign missions in 2 playthroughs.
But that's not going to happen unless you force it to happen by picking and choosing the mission as you go along.

Here's the link to the official Fantasy Flight Games Campaign log:
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/61/d5...

Like mentioned above there are side missions. There's a total of 18 side missions between what the Rebels make in the deck and what the Imperials can purchase to force the Rebels to play (plus 3 forced missions that may or may not be played). You only play 4 side missions per campaign, so that makes a minimum of 5 playthroughs to see them all. Not to mention all the other variables that Pasi mentioned above. I've only been able to play through the campaign twice, so I haven't seen all the missions yet.

Conclusion: There is a lot of replayability in just the core. Also, MSRP is $99, but you can regularly find it for <$70 through Amazon and other online retailers, very worth the price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris saman
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great news. I wish I could find it for less than $99. I'm in Canada and I've seen online US deals with much envy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson K
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got mine for about 70 on kijiji. Just keep a look on there and you should find one soon enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris saman
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thats good to know...thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Smart
Australia
flag msg tools
csaman wrote:
That's great news. I wish I could find it for less than $99. I'm in Canada and I've seen online US deals with much envy

How's the price for you at book depository?
http://www.bookdepository.com/Star-Wars-Imperial-Assault-Boa...

Free shipping, and it regularly goes cheaper than it currently is, as much as 30-35% off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
csaman wrote:

Well Meeplemart has it for $95 CDN and $9 shipping (maybe) - so that's about $78 US - not sure it is much cheaper than that in the US.

(edit) and, just checked, the post above mine at $105 with shipping, about the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.