Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm finally going to add some expansion content. I couldn't find this answered anywhere: is there tile limit to use? I ask because I know how long the base game can be. It seems the game would be even longer if I added expansion tiles without taking out some base tiles.

Thanks for any help with this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Thane
England
Brough
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Up the Tigers
mbmbmbmbmb
The official line is use all or nothing, although remember to remove the St Ives Port and River Brue tiles from the stack adding the mace ones to the Threat tile pile.

I personally use everything except the board flipping stuff, but I did start off by adding one expansion at a time depending on what quest we were playing. I soon got bored with swapping in and out bits and thought what the hell and chucked it all in! I left out the whole Avalon stuff initially but then added those in too apart from the flipping bits although I now leave Loegr in in case Tom Thumb is being used, but if not I just re-draw a tile if it comes out and ignore the ability if it is landed on. I also leave in the base Avalon. I will add the flippers in at some point I guess or if I play the Morgana quest, but not ready for them yet.

One thing to consider is the more tiles you add the more difficult it is to find specific tiles and so the higher the difficulty level is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pete, I figured you'd answer. You rock!

I remember the "all or nothing" comment about the expansions. In your experience, how much longer/more difficult does the whole shebang make it? Like I said, the game is already pretty long. (No biggie, I like long games.) However, I am curious what to expect.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Thane
England
Brough
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Up the Tigers
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot depends on the number of characters/players. The more scouting power you have then the quicker you can get through the deck and find any targets you need.

For our gaming nights then we have about 4-4.5 hours of gameplay and we tend to play one big game and then some fillers, or repeat the big game if time. One night we managed to get 3 x 3 player games of Albion in but one of those was a very quick defeat, one we lost around 9th turn and one we gave up around turn 9 as we had no chance of winning. With everything our games normally last around the 2 hour mark I would guess, never really thought about. We have played 2 four player games in the same night (and even won of those!) although the last full game was a 5 player and that was probably nearer to 2.5/3 hours long I seem to think although we did win in literally the last player's turn just before the last flame was extinguished.

Roughly I would say solo I can get through a game in about an hour, 3 player upto around 90 mins, 4 player 90-120 and 120-180 for a 5, but this could vary a lot with how you play the game and the card draws for both Threats and Inventory

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right on. Thanks for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron Murch
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Thanks for catching this Pete! I love seeing you guys answer each other's questions.

We can usually get the game down to a couple of hours even with the expansion content included. More than increasing the play time, the biggest impact of the added tiles in the expansions is that players need to be even more efficient in their Scouting efforts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.