Thumb up
 Hide
83 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Community » Geek of the Week

Subject: Geek of the Week #518—Miguel (franchi) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, folks, my time as the Geek of the Week has reached its end. It's been a lot of fun visiting with everyone and answering your questions. Thanks one last time to Franco for the honor and to everyone who participated.

But now I'd like to pass the torch and introduce you to

Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My best-rated game: Tetrarchia, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
badge
Try my latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
mbmbmbmbmb

Miguel is another Commands & Colors: Ancients and Memoir '44player...

DIY game craftsman extraordinaire...

and has uses his talent to design games, too...

Now I'll let Miguel introduce himself to you in his own words!

Quote:
Thank you Brady!

What an honor to be on this side of the stage! I remember my first years at BGG, starting 2005, when I followed this thread eager to learn a bit more about the 'big people' of the gaming community. The community is much bigger now and I had lost track of the more recent Geeks of the Week, and I am definitely not a 'big guy' of gaming, but I'll try to do my best!

I'm Spanish, although I have lived already the second strict half of my 47 years in France (next year my French side will take over). As a teen, in the 80s, I used to play wargames (solo) and designed some games. The world was not 'connected' at all, the games I designed were drawn almost freehand (mistakes in the home straight were a pain), there was no way to make them known, and the games I bought were literally a surprise (in the gaming shop I visited in Valencia all boxes were in shrink, and no internet to browse). I started with some wargames from the Spanish company NAC, that were very very simple and most of them as bad, and then some monster games like Bonaparte, that I could never play to completion. Unfortunately, wargames appeared to be either too simple and bad, either too fiddly, long and complex... but even though I did play them!

Then, a bit disappointed, I decided I would design my wargames. You can find some pictures on my designer page of some that stood the passing of time (the wooden boards, not the carboard pieces). Among them, I really enjoyed my what-if German landing in Iceland (following a successful Sea Lion), in which the surviving British had to hold the island until the US were forced to come to their support. Also a '3d' wooden version of the Eastern Front. And finally an over-simplified version of Okinawa. I had made a monster, huge Okinawa game, that I never played, but the simple version (a symbolic zoom on the southern, decisive part of the island) was fun. Once, coming home from high school, I found the best of the surprises: my younger brother was playing it with his friends! First time one of my games was being played without me.

In parallel, I tried to 'game' my other teen passion: sport (the first was war!). Tennis was too simple for a game, soccer and handball were hard to simulate, with the goal several hexes wide and the scoring probability dependent on both distance and angle. And then I thought about basketball: the basket is just one hex, and the scoring probability depends only on the distance! So back in 1981 I began drawing hex mats on paper, checking the right court size, and playtesting some rules. You can find the rest of the story in my designer diary of BASKETmind.

In the early 90s I moved to France, got married, had kids... and left the gaming world for years. Until 2004, when my brother-in-law offered me Memoir '44! Then my gaming souvenirs came back to my mind, through M44 DoW site I discovered BGG, and saw that games had evolved a lot and that many people played them! I started building a relatively big collection, and tried to update to 'the world of today' my favorite design: BASKETmind. I uploaded the game to BGG, entered it in nestorgames' geeklist contest, and more than 100 users thumbed it and made of it officially a game! And made of me officially a 'game designer', 30 years later...

That was a turning point, and a relief. Now I have other ideas in mind, and I am 'just' waiting to have some free time to put them into practice, but if I ever publish other games it won't be as thrilling as it was with my first one. And it will take less than 30 years! Indeed my latest design has taken only a few months: it's up in the database, TETRARCHIA, for those curious. I had the idea by the end of May, drew a first map freehand, had the first prototype ready for a game mid June... and the game is now 'finished', ready for a publisher searching for a fast, simple and challenging cooperative game taking place in the Roman Empire and that plays as well from 1 to 4 players.

As to my collection, if you go through it you will see that I enjoy 'modern' (simpler and faster) wargames and eurogames with elegant rules: few of them, simple and easy to explain and remember, and with a lot of things going on on the board, not on the rulebook. Most of my gaming, and of my participation in the BGG forums, is around my favorite game ever: Commands & Colors: Ancients! And also my favorite expansion, Commands & Colors: Ancients Expansion Pack #1 – Greece & Eastern Kingdoms, covering the part of History I like the most, Classical Greece. These two passions, C&C:A and Greece, made me join the GMT team in the development of the latest expansion, Commands & Colors: Ancients Expansion Pack #6 – The Spartan Army.

I also like customizing my games, almost as much as playing them, so if you want to have a look at some home-made versions or modified components, check my galleries. Most of the boards/cards/aids shown are available for download as files. Indeed I spend more time reading about or customizing games than playing them! I'm trying to change this, but it depends a lot on my ability to find players around me...

Thanks again for the honor! I'll try to be around to answer as many questions as possible.

And here are his two truths and one lie about himself:

Poll: Poll: franchi's Two Truths and One Lie
Which is the lie?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
My username is the nickname I got in Spain when I left for France.
24.7% 19
While I was born and grew up in Valencia, my soccer team is Real Madrid.
54.5% 42
I have visited the Omaha Beach American Cemetery more than 20 times.
20.8% 16
Voters 77
This poll is now closed.   77 answers
Poll created by BradyLS
Closes: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:00 am

It is also my privilege to open the questions to franchi:

1. It sounds like you've been a nascent game designer your whole life, yet have only recently started to make public your ideas. Why the wait?

2. Can you give an outline of your process as a game designer?

3. I notice that in your board designs, you sometimes use circles in lieu of hexes for the same grid. What is the reason for using the circle over the hex?

4. You've developed tremendous skill in crafting superb new components for many different games. What inspires/encourages you to make them?

5. What can you share with us about your involvement with GMT's Commands & Colors: Ancients Expansion Pack #6 – The Spartan Army?

6. What games do your kids like to play? Does your wife play any games? Are there games you play as a family?

7. Finally, I see you've done some translating to get items (like cards for a game) into French and Spanish. Are there any game publishers that you think do good work in getting their materials translated for gamers in other countries?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Miguel, enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Miguel! Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb

Congratulations Miguel!
Have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Tom
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!

1 What type of food do you enjoy the most?
2 Is there a country you think produces the best food?
3 What do you eat when gaming?
4 Is there any food you enjoy, that most people don't like?
5 And finally...is there anything you can recommend to us? Perhaps an interesting recipe, or something unique to your country?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Bavnshøj
Denmark
Brøndum
DK-9500 Hobro
flag msg tools
designer
NOW
badge
Visit us at www.osterskov.dk
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Miguel. Have a great week!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
14,100+ Profile Views and counting!
badge
Want Geekgold? Visit my profile!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Franchi! Enjoy your week in the spotlight!

1db You have not rated many of your games but have given Claustrophobia a solid 10 - what is it you love so much about the game?

2 What has been your most rewarding experience with BASKETmind since having it published?

3 Given the opportunity to have any living person in the world come to your home and have a meal of your choosing for dinner followed by a game of a boardgame of your choice; who would it be, what meal and what game?

d10-4 In large scale wargames do you prefer to focus your forces at land, sea or air?

5vp When available, what is your favourite player colour in boardgames?

Look forward to your responses and enjoy your week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Congratulations, Miguel.

What are your favourite books and movies? Any of those that have made it into a board game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Try my latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all! Infact I was waiting for the official green light from Octavian, and it has not arrived yet... A user told me by geek-mail that this thread was up!

BradyLS wrote:
1. It sounds like you've been a nascent game designer your whole life, yet have only recently started to make public your ideas. Why the wait?
I have always felt very creative, since my early teens, and many times (most) it is the creative process that I enjoy, more than taking advantage of the final result. As I said in the introduction, I rediscovered the gaming world in 2004-5, and from there the conditions were met to go public: better tools, internet, BGG... And going through periods with more free time helps too!

BradyLS wrote:
There is no such process. But very often I see something that catches my attention (a book, a movie, a discussion...) and my mind goes around it for some time. I try to learn more about it, and sometimes I think about making a game out of it. Are there other games already? Could I make one better? If not, I stop. If yes, I start writing something, but it's hard to take things to completion in the free time.

BradyLS wrote:
3. I notice that in your board designs, you sometimes use circles in lieu of hexes for the same grid. What is the reason for using the circle over the hex?
I had started with hex grids drawn almost freehand, one by one. Once I could do circles with a primitive computer it was much easier to fill the grid. Then computers evolved and it was as easy to build an hex grid. In the particular case of BASKETmind, the prototype had hexes, but it was nestorgames at some point that decided they liked circles better.

BradyLS wrote:
4. You've developed tremendous skill in crafting superb new components for many different games. What inspires/encourages you to make them?
As with other things, when I buy a game I say to myself "could I make it better?". When the answer is yes and it's something at my reach, then I go ahead. Most of the times, though, I spend a lot of time pimping games that I don't play afterwards... Nowadays I try to be more selective, and ask this question ONLY for games I know I will play.

BradyLS wrote:
5. What can you share with us about your involvement with GMT's Commands & Colors: Ancients Expansion Pack #6 – The Spartan Army?
The long answer is HERE. The short one: I had 15 scenarios on the period, then I suggested I could make some more to reach 20, I sent them to GMT, and they (with RB) accepted most of them but introduced some changes I didn't like. It was during summer holidays, so communication was not easy, but at that point I decided that I would better put my gaming creative effort into my own designs, rather than expanding the designs of others.

BradyLS wrote:
6. What games do your kids like to play? Does your wife play any games? Are there games you play as a family?
Unfortunately, my wife does not like games and my kids not very much... We do play with family mainly during Xmas/summer holidays in Spain, with my brother, his kids and my brother-in-law, they love to play! I always offer them games.

BradyLS wrote:
7. Finally, I see you've done some translating to get items (like cards for a game) into French and Spanish. Are there any game publishers that you think do good work in getting their materials translated for gamers in other countries?
I don't have a general opinion on that. It's true that I make a lot of translations of components to Spanish/French, because my occasional player groups are French (during the year) and Spanish (holidays), and I always try to make the experience easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Thomas!
TomTi89 wrote:
1 What type of food do you enjoy the most?
Not any in particular. I'm quite lucky to be a spaniard living in France, Spanish and French food are very good! From Spain mostly rice (I come from Valencia), like paella, from France the cheese... Since 2010 I go quite often to Tokyo for my job, and for something really different I enjoy japanese food quite a lot too.

TomTi89 wrote:
2 Is there a country you think produces the best food?
As I said, Spain, France and Japan are quite high in the ranking. Maybe I'll add Italy too.

TomTi89 wrote:
3 What do you eat when gaming?
NOTHING! Really, I cannot understand how people must eat or listen to music while playing. When I watch a movie, or read a book, I don't eat either. For me playing a game is an activity at the same level. Plus I've had a bad experience with Dixit cards and beer... My friends now know that we can eat right before or after the game.

TomTi89 wrote:
4 Is there any food you enjoy, that most people don't like?
Here in Normandy I like "andouillette", and I know very few people that do... specially from abroad!

TomTi89 wrote:
5 And finally...is there anything you can recommend to us? Perhaps an interesting recipe, or something unique to your country?
That's a tough question... The weather in Normandy changes very quickly, so if you plan to visit this lovely region try to stay for a week, you'll have good weather for sure sometime in the week! When, who knows...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
Félicitations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mark!
Mohrlock wrote:
1db You have rated many of your games but have given Claustrophobia a solid 10 - what is it you love so much about the game?
The things I appreciate in general: few rules, easy to teach and remember, many interesting choices, you can feel the theme while playing... In addition, the production is great, and that makes for a wonderful, and always different, gaming experience.

Mohrlock wrote:
2 What has been your most rewarding experience with BASKETmind since having it published?
Many, but to name one: I had run tournaments with friends in the early 80s, but I was always there to explain the rules and answer the questions (I had not even written a rulebook). So many years later, I was scared of the reaction people would have when confronted to the game on their own. Those on BGG could ask me, but the others... And then one Italian user told me that he had discovered the game seeing two guys playing on a coffee table! That was very touching, my game being played by two guys in another country and catching the eye of someone!

Mohrlock wrote:
3 Given the opportunity to have any living person in the world come to your home and have a meal of your choosing for dinner followed by a game of a boardgame of your choice; who would it be, what meal and what game?
That's a very difficult question! I know there are very few survivers of the British that freed our village in 1944 (2 km inland of Sword beach). I guess I would like to thank him and listen to his stories, before it is too late. I would let him choose the meal and the game, why not Memoir '44?

Mohrlock wrote:
d10-4 In large scale wargames do you prefer to focus your forces at land, sea or air?
I don't play monster games anymore. They usually fail several of my criteria: playing time below (or slightly above) an hour, simple and elegant rules, not huge number of pieces, if possible plastic or wood... But I prefer land.

Mohrlock wrote:
5vp When available, what is your favourite player colour in boardgames?
Blue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
A talented board game craftsman.

Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
congratulations

thumbsupcoolthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
franchi wrote:
BradyLS wrote:
There is no such process. But very often I see something that catches my attention (a book, a movie, a discussion...) and my mind goes around it for some time. I try to learn more about it, and sometimes I think about making a game out of it. Are there other games already? Could I make one better? If not, I stop. If yes, I start writing something, but it's hard to take things to completion in the free time.

To expand a bit on Brady's question, quite often an idea in general turns in my mind, and I try to see what I can do around it. It can be a book or movie that makes me feel like playing a game on the subject, or the opposite. For example, what made me look for a game that modeled well ancient battles was my love for Classical Greece. I had read many books on the subject. Then I got Memoir '44, and one of the first things I tried was to think about rules on that board with ancient 1:72 miniatures I had...

When I learnt that RB was actually doing such a game, Commands & Colors: Ancients, I stopped and bought it. And then the expansions came, and after each battle I felt like reading about the periods I knew less about. I read Caesar's Gallic War, began to enjoy Rome (I hated them as the destroyers of Greece!), and then the Civil Wars... and with Exp#4 I continued looking for things about the Late Empire. I have read fascinating things on that period. It made me feel like creating new scenarios for C&C:A, but then I decided I would do something new, and this is my latest design, Tetrarchia.

So in this particular case the loop is closed: books took me to a game, that took me to books, that made me design a game... that is making me read even more books!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Doherty
United States
Windsor, Northern-
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Miguel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ik ben een kleine boefje
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
2006/2011 (Amsterdam - Maastricht - Apeldoorn - Den Haag -Delft) Vijf jaar dat ik ga nooit vergeten.
badge
Warning: Very handsome user.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, it's so cool that you were nominated by another austenite devil

Anyway, there goes my questions:

1) Favorite game you don't own and why?
2) Least favorite game you do own?
3) Have you ever been in the US?
4) Have you played CC Napoleonics, and in such case, do you prefer it over Ancients? Why or why not?
5) Favorite city in France?
6) Favorite one in Spain?

That's all for now, enjoy your week Miguel!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have any thoughts on C&C Tricorn American Revolution?

Have a great week in the GoTW Spotlight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chasseur d'Ours
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bravo et félicitations à toi Miguel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
franchi wrote:
TomTi89 wrote:
That's a tough question... The weather in Normandy changes very quickly, so if you plan to visit this lovely region try to stay for a week, you'll have good weather for sure sometime in the week! When, who knows...

Thomas, a recommendation a bit more specific, something unique you can only experience here: crossing the Mont Saint Michel bay on foot at low tide.

I had visited the Mont by car for years, and was already fed up, and then a few years ago we went on foot. It's like being in another planet: the absence of noise, the view of the back of the Mont, the sea that comes towards you from 15 km away... We have repeated three times since, and after that I will never go back by car!

BTW, you need a guide, on your own it would be too dangerous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
Congratulations! I will be forever grateful for your Lectio files!

Enjoy your week!

Did you learn French before you moved, or after?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Miguel

Is it true that you work in a particle accelerator?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gracias Gelete!

Gelete wrote:
1) Favorite game you don't own and why?
Well, there are many I would like to own but that I know I will not have the opportunity to play, and since a few years I try to limit my collection to games I think I will play, at least once! One that comes to my mind is A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition), if I had other 5 players around me willing to play, and time, I would buy it.

Gelete wrote:
2) Least favorite game you do own?
That's hard to say. I own many games, and I have been trying to give, sell or trade those I don't like... So there are few I don't like and own.

Gelete wrote:
3) Have you ever been in the US?
Once, 1 week. It was for a conference in Atlanta, and I took the opportunity to visit a friend in Denver. So I know very little about the US.

Gelete wrote:
4) Have you played CC Napoleonics, and in such case, do you prefer it over Ancients? Why or why not?
I haven't. Ancients fits almost exactly everything I expect from a game. Napoleonics feels a tiny bit more complex and fiddly, and I have not so big interest in the subject, so I decided to stay out of the system before buying one expansion after the other. But if a friend would have it I wouldn't mind trying it out.

Gelete wrote:
5) Favorite city in France?
It depends. I live 230 km from Paris, and I like to walk in Paris, but I would never live there. Infact I had the choice when I got my job between Paris and Caen, and I chose Caen immediately. The city that made me say "Waou!" when we stopped by once was Rocamadour, it felt like the small sister of Minas Tirith!

Gelete wrote:
6) Favorite one in Spain?
I've grown up at Valencia but I don't like it, too big for me. Last year we made a tour around the west and south of Spain, to show the kids 'their' country, and we enjoyed almost all the stops we made, in particular Caceres, Sevilla, and Granada. But if one day I came back to Spain, it would have to be in a small village.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Bob!

Ashitaka wrote:
Do you have any thoughts on C&C Tricorn American Revolution?
No. Theme is very important for me, and that one does not interest me. There are exceptions but, if the theme doesn't say anything to me, I don't look forward the game. Someone can prove me wrong, though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Celina!

Celinashope wrote:
Did you learn French before you moved, or after?
After! I had never learnt French when I was young because I 'hated' France! I didn't mind moving to another European country, but I knew it wouldn't be France... shake

So when I came here for my PhD people told me that English would be enough at work, and then I soon realized that very quickly conversations switched to French... So I took an intensive course for foreigners and in a few months I could survive! Now, 23 years later, I don't have (many) problems with French but you can see that I learnt too late from my Spanish accent...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.