Steven Hoochuk
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello All,

We had a situation arise last night that brought up a question.
Andira Runehand along with three other heroes were surrounding a master giant. The giant performed his sweep attack doing damage to all the heroes.
Andira's herioc ability reads: "Each time A hero within three spaces of you suffers 1 or more damage, the figure that performed the attack suffers 1 damage."

Does the giant take 1 damage, since there was only one attack, or does he take four damage since all four heroes were hit and all were within 3 spaces of Andira?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pilum pilum
France
flag msg tools
mb
the giant takes 4 damages
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pilum2008 wrote:
the giant takes 4 damages

This. Though there is one attack, "deal damage" is resolved separately for each hero. Each time it resolves, the giant suffers 1. I am fairly certain this means that if the giant in this situation performed sweep and only had 2 health left, only 2 heroes would get damaged, since the giant's death after damaging the second hero would resolve the attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus McKhager
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmb
zaltyre wrote:
[...]I am fairly certain this means that if the giant in this situation performed sweep and only had 2 health left, only 2 heroes would get damaged, since the giant's death after damaging the second hero would resolve the attack.

Imo, the attack should be resolved till the end - all heroes receive damage - no matter when the giant faints.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Khager wrote:
zaltyre wrote:
[...]I am fairly certain this means that if the giant in this situation performed sweep and only had 2 health left, only 2 heroes would get damaged, since the giant's death after damaging the second hero would resolve the attack.

Imo, the attack should be resolved till the end - all heroes receive damage - no matter when the giant faints.
That would make the most thematic sense (since he hits them at the same time) but I am not certain whether the mechanics work that way. It's clear that damage is dealt sequentially rather than simultaneously (since a Reanimate can be dealt damage before the necromancer, preventing the necromancer from using Dark Pact to avoid damage.) What is unclear is whether the attack resolves itself once the attacker is defeated, or if the attack finishes its resolution even after the attacker has left the map.

EDIT: After looking through the FFG Sez wiki, it seems a hero defeated while searching still gets to complete the search action. Given that, I'd be comfortable letting a defeated monster finish an attack that he was performing when defeated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Hoochuk
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just submitted the following to FFG:

Here is the scenario. Andira Runehand and three other heroes are surrounding a master giant with 3 HP left. The giant uses his sweep attack. We are unsure how this plays out according to Andira's heroic ability.

1. Does the giant take 4 points of damage from Andira's HA if each surrounding hero takes damage or 1 pt because it was a single attack?

If he takes 4 points...

2. Does damage resolve individually or completely i.e.
Hero 1 takes dmg - Giant takes 1 pt
Hero 2 takes dmg - Giant takes 1 pt and dies
Hero 3&4 are undamaged since the giant is defeated.

or

Giant deals dmg to all four heroes then dies after 2 pts of dmg as a result of Andira's HA

I'll report back once I hear from them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Hoochuk
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The ruling from FFG:

Quote:
In your example the damage would resolve individually. Andira’s hero ability creates something of a conflict (as it interferes with how much damage the monster can do before being defeated) and so the active player (the overlord) would choose in which order the heroes suffer the damage, taking 1 damage for each hero until it was defeated, at which point the attack would be resolved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The attack resolves after the attacker is defeated, and the damage stops being dealt. Neat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.