Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Rum & Bones» Forums » General

Subject: Some impressions after the first few plays (no review just thoughts) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Björn Franke
Germany
Wildeshausen
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played with the basegame until now All addons and expansions are still sealed because we didn't want to overwhelm ourselves.

- For beginners it seems that the Wellsport Brotherhodd is a bit stronger than the Bones Devils. They are for sure more straight forward which suits beginners more and Stomper Pete and Ivan are beasts.

- I am a bit afraid that people who only buy the base game will be a bit underwhelmed after a few games because there is the possibility that the game gets a bit stale after some sessions becuase there is no variation in heroes with base game only. It would helped to pack a set of five mercanary heroes into the base game to give players more variation.
As is it is designed like the Star Wars Armada base game where you can dip your toes into the water but need to buy more to get the full experience.

- When you are ahead it is sometimes better to not play the sea dragon because it can give the other player the opportunity to come back by getting the two points from it. Just have that in mind when playing it.

- Until now I didn't recoggnize a first player advantage but with more experience this can be an issue.

- I really like the tide cards and the way they distinct the factions a bit more from each other apart from the hero abillities only.

- I am looking forward to opening all the other hero packs and trying out cool hero combinations.

- The deck guns aren't as powerful as I first thought

- It really feels like a MOBA. You can base trade split push, farm lanes etc.

I am really glad that I backed this game and hope that some of you enjoy this kind of chaotic bunch of thouhts. Perhaps I will write a proper review after some more plays lets see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renato Colaço
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've just played our first game - and I liked it a lot, even though I lost.

I got the exact opposite impression, the Bone Devil's seemed slightly better balanced overall, with the amount of regeneration, damage prevention and debuffs for the opposite faction seeming to turn the table quite a few times.

What worried me most was the length of the game - ok, it was a learning game, but it took us the better part of 3 hours to finish it. I am not sure if the wife will ever want to play again... :S

We were both playing agressively, but then the kraken showed up and things got really messy - even though it got killed in a turn in the most epic fashion!

For my part, I really want to try the extra heroes and factions soon!
I am very happy with the purchase - a bit worried I might have to play it solo, though... :S
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Franke
Germany
Wildeshausen
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mathuselah wrote:
We've just played our first game - and I liked it a lot, even though I lost.

I got the exact opposite impression, the Bone Devil's seemed slightly better balanced overall, with the amount of regeneration, damage prevention and debuffs for the opposite faction seeming to turn the table quite a few times.

What worried me most was the length of the game - ok, it was a learning game, but it took us the better part of 3 hours to finish it. I am not sure if the wife will ever want to play again... :S

We were both playing agressively, but then the kraken showed up and things got really messy - even though it got killed in a turn in the most epic fashion!

For my part, I really want to try the extra heroes and factions soon!
I am very happy with the purchase - a bit worried I might have to play it solo, though... :S

You are right. In another game last night I found out that the spectre is a very vital counter to brutes and that solved my problems I had with Stumper Pete.

That is one of the cool tactical aspects of this game to find the best counter for problems the enemy is throwing at you.

Also the abillity to create more deckhands is pretty cool. I am now trying to build a team that can swarm the enemy with deckhands to test if this is a vital strategy.

As mentioned in my first post the longevity of basegame only isn't that great. After three to five games you just need more heroes to keep enjoying this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Bourgeois
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
In my experience, the key to shorter games is two things:

1 - Recognzing this is not an actual MOBA. There is little advantage to farming and hero killing.
- The game is primarily based on tempo.
- Killing an enemy hero slows their team down, but unless they are packing a pile of gold or a pushing, you are better off doing something else.

2 - Rigging is your friend. Rigging lets you get places quicker, skip past blocked planks and get past the kraken/sea dragon. Once you learn to rig agressively your games will be over in 1 hour or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.